Author Topic: macclesfield street name?  (Read 10328 times)

Offline StormCup

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: macclesfield street name?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 June 13 09:31 BST (UK) »
Just been looking for it myself and found it on an old OS map.

Derby Street got lost in the town centre redevelopment. If you look at a modern map of Macc. one end started where Chestergate meets Churchill Way, it followed the route of Churchill Way South for a distance then turned East a block before Exchange Street to end at Mill Street, roughly where the  Marks & Spencer shop is now.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 June 13 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
www.old-maps.co.uk
Type macclesfield
choose 1871-1873 PreWWII 1:2500
Find the Town hall and the Volunteer Drill Hall
Derby Street is in between these  to the left of the Town Hall

Heather

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 June 13 19:02 BST (UK) »
Gosh! it's a while since I posted that topic, but thank you all the same Stormcup & Heather for your interest, and information :) 

Regards

Stewart
Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.

Offline k.woody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 September 17 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Stewart,
                       Just browsing and came across your message regarding Derby St in Macclesfield.
It just happens that my father was the manager of the public house 'Ye Olde Wine Vaults' from 1946 until the late 50's. His name was Arthur and we, his family grew up there.
The Burtonwood owned pub was on the corner of Mill St & Castle St and was number 38 Mill St.
Next door in Mill St was Briens the Chemist,Burdens the grocers shop(Mr Robinson was manager) and then Woolworths, then Etams a womans clothes shop, further on.Other shops in Mill St were Pegrims cake shop, the 'Blacks Head' pub, Robinsons the bread Shop,The Pig and Whistle pub which later closed and became Piggot & Whitfield a shop selling household decor, John Collier the gents outfitter, Majestic picture house and many more,  The next Street down Mill St from Castle St was Derby St which ran in a curve up past Thomas St,top of Castle St and Great King St and past the top of Stanley Street to Chestergate, a T junction.The top of Derby St is now Churchill Way.The chip shop, Fanny Barretts in Derby St sold the nicest chips in Macc.
On the opposite corner to the pub in Castle St was Mottersheds a flower shop then Charlie Greens the fishmonger, Chester Twemlows a Tobacconist's (He had a brother Charlie, who was a butcher in Chestergate) and Mary Eccles Tea Shop and of course the large Post Office.

So Derby St was exactly were Stormcup said it was before it disappeared.

Blackenberry's in Chestergate sold the most delicious meat pies, as was Stevensons newsagent, Granelli's Milk Bar, Arigi Bianci and the Picturedrome.

I still remember all these childhood memories even at 77
Hope you still with us to read this short enlightenment.
K.Woody

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 September 17 12:16 BST (UK) »
Yeh, I'm still with us K.Woody :)

I think it's over 7 years since I posted that enquiry & can't really remember exactly why. I believe a distant relation may have lived there on a census return from about 1861/71.

Thank you for the information, and of course your interest. Your fondness & apparently happy memories are quite clear from your message. I may revisit the particular subject, armed with your information.

Regards

Stewart

Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.

Offline regina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 December 17 11:42 GMT (UK) »
If you browse through the macclesfield shops pictures on Pinerest, you will find a picture of Derby Street.  I also bought material from the Derby Street Warehouse.  What a store ut was!
Regina
Macclesfield - Potts, Ashness, Hooley, Haslam, Walton, Heapy, Hulme, Wildigg, Walton
Congleton - Cooke
Stockport - Whittingham, Sheppard
Ireland - Walton, Gain