Author Topic: Seeking Roach and/or Donkin families  (Read 13500 times)

Offline robandsam

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Roach and/or Donkin families
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 02:36 GMT (UK) »
I have 2 Ralph Donkins in my tree, one born in 1909 in Thames and he was married to my Gt grandmother on my dads side and his father was a Ralph as well born around 1875-1890 also born in Thames NZ. The 2nd Ralph has a middle name Roache if that helps.

Offline AndyJT

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Henry Philip Donkin was my Great Grandfather; my Grandfather (also Henry Philip) married Ellen Charlton. We have much of the family history complete post the first Henry Philip, but always drew a blank trying to go back beyond that because the elders in the family refused to speak about it! I'm a bit new to the internet based way of researching family history but if anyone could shed some light on him I would be grateful and happy to share all the "post H P 1" info we have. I have recently returned to NZ after living overseas, so will be accessing the Thames sites mention elsewhere, but thought I'd post this in case anyone has crossed this ground before.
Best regards.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 May 13 09:02 BST (UK) »
There is a great article about Delia Donkin in paperspast nz

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=THS19130301.2.16&srpos=2&e=-------10--1----0Delia+Donkin

Mrs Delia Donkin was living alone in the Taranaki district during the Maori land wars with her young children. Her husband was away as a volunteer, she had to defend herself and the children. Came to the Thames feild in 1867. Was living at Tararu Road at the time of the article. Hope you can open it

Mel
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 May 13 09:14 BST (UK) »
Also another article stating that Henry Donkin of Tararu is the son of Ralph Donkin C.E of Leyland Parish, Lancashire, England

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=AS19010622.2.32.5&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----0Donkin+Thames--

Also mentions the names Trooper William Donkin (died 1 June 1901 in South Africa at Doomplat) son of Henry.
William Donkins sisters Mrs J.F.Stewart, Mrs G.E.Bishop, Mrs H.Clark and Mrs S.Fairly

Mel
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline Jensifer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 June 16 00:00 BST (UK) »
My father was Henry Phillip Donkin's (no. 3) brother, Laurence Ralph.

Their father Henry Phillip Donkin (no. 2) married Agnes Johnston (nee Pitkethly, from Scotland, I have information on  them) and was apparently a butcher.  My dad was born in 1913 in Kihikihi NZ, and I think they moved to Thames when he was very young.   Henry Phillip No. 2 left Agnes to bring up 7 children on her own.  I believe he was an alcoholic. That will be why there was silence about their background as that would have been very shameful.  Agnes was my Nana and was a wonderful woman.  She took in sewing to earn an income and was blind by the time I was a child.

Their grandfather, also Henry Phillip Donkin (no.1)  was apparently a doctor.  He and his brother, Ralph, a Civil Engineer, came to New Zealand from Northumberland in the 1860s.  They had a third brother, Thomas Cole who was an artist and had a son called Thomas.
Their father was Ralph Donkin, married Margaretta.  Either Ralph or Margarett was born around 1775 and died 1868 in Northumberland.

The older brother of Henry Phillip no2 was Ralph and he had a son Ralph and another Reg, but it appears the posts re Roach and Irish connection don't fit with the info I have, outlined above.  Perhaps they fit with Ralph the Civlil Engineer who also came to nz in 1860s, oldest son of Ralph and Margaretta - I see there is info about them on page 1 of this post.

According to my info William who died 1.6.1901 in the Boer War was the son of Henry Phillip no. 1, the doctor, ....