Author Topic: Durness Parish Register  (Read 162907 times)

Offline lynnmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 May 05 20:23 BST (UK) »
I am currently looking for my husband's GGG grandfather, John MacCulloch, who was born about 1789, married Jean M. Brander in 1808 in Kingussie, and died there in either 1840 or 1850 (I have differing opinions from 2 sources).  I think he could possibly be the son of Thomas MacCulloch & Margaret MacKay as many of names of brothers carry through to later generations.  My info says that Thomas was born about 1755 (or 1759) and married Margaret MacKay 12/1778.  There is also reference to his having 2 illegitimate children, George and Janet with another Margaret MacKay?  This family evidently settled in Tarbat by Fearn eventually, and  would account for our John having come from "north of Ft. George".  I have also seen references to a John MacCulloch of Durness, married to Catherine MacKay.  They also had a son, John, but the timing seems off.

Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Lynn McCulloch

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 May 05 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynn, this is everything I could find:-

THOMAS MACCULLOCK

30/12/1778 Thomas MacCullock, lately in Ceannabin, soldier in Duke of Gordon's Fencibles to Margaret MacKay, alias nin eanmacalisterroy in Uaighbeg.
(The alias I think is daughter of John son of Alistair)

17/12/1784 Thomas MacCullock in Ceannabin and Margaret MacKay, Ann Innes
09/01/1786 Thomas MacCullock, tenent in Island Choarie and Margaret MacKay, Barbara
01/01/1788 Thomas MacCullock, tenent in Island Choarie and Margaret MacKay, alias nin eanmacalister, Fairly Reay
28/08/1790 Thomas MacCullock, servant in Farout and Margaret MacKay, alias nin eanmacalister, Christian
13/08/1792 Thomas MacCullock, tenent and herdsman in Farout and Margaret MacKay, John

05/10/1792 Thomas MacCullock, tenent in Farout and Margaret MacKay, a single woman alias nin Dholicye, George NBLW

11/10/1794 Thomas MacCullock, tenent and herdsman in Farout and Margaret MacKay, James
23/12/1796 Thomas MacCullock, herdsman in Farout and Margaret MacKay, Christian
04/05/1799 Thomas MacCullock, Achins of Cnocbreac and Margaret MacKay, Donald
22/02/1802 Thomas MacCullock in balamhulich and Margaret MacKay, Donald

26/06/1802 Thomas MacCullock in Balamhulich and Margaret MacKay, alias nin
Dolicye, guilty of a relapse [n.b.l.w.], Janet

Marriage
29/02/1812 William Wood, Shepherd, Dalvichie, parish of Lairg and Ann MacCullock daughter of Thomas MacCullock, Balamhulich

Could not find the birth of Margaret MacKay but I think these are some of her siblings:-

15/08/1765 John MacKay, alias Macalisterroy in Uaibeg, Hugh
13/05/1770 John MacKay, alias Macalisterroy in Uaibeg, Alexander
31/01/1774 John MacKay, alias Macalisterroy in Uaibeg, Marion
26/07/1775 John MacKay, alias Macalisterroy in Uaibeg, Wilhelmina

JOHN MACCULLOCK

30/10/1783 John MacCullock weaver at Ceannabin and lat N.F. to Catherine
                    MacKay, alias nin Robmacuilammacneil in Uaibeg
                    (daughter of Robert son of William son of Neil)

18/09/1785 John MacCullock weaver in Uaibeg and Catherine MacKay, John
11/08/1788 John MacCullock weaver in Uaibeg and Catherine MacKay, James
02/10/1791 John MacCullock weaver in Uaibeg and Katherine MacKay, Angus

04/08/1795 John MacCullock weaver and tenent in Balamhulich and presently
                   a soldier in the Reay Fencibles and Catherine MacKay alias
                   Robmacenicuilammacneil, Christian

Catherine MacKay's parents, I belive were Robert MacKay and Janet Murray.

Hope this helps.

Andy
Surname Interests.

Allin - Sutcombe, Devon * Blake - Cornwall, Cardiif * Campbell - Durness * Cockburn - London and Scotland * Elsey - London * Facey -  Holsworthy, Devon * Falconer - Durness and Eddrachillis * Hartfall - Gosport * Hopkins - Barry and Sully * Howell - Cheptow * Larkin - Bromley, Kent * Lambert - Sturminster Newton, Dorset * McDonald - Compton Gifford, Plymouth * Moxley  - St Arvans * Smith - Bethnal Green * Taylor - Portishead * Wickenden - Southsea * Yeo - Cornwall and Devon

Offline lynnmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 May 05 16:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy,

This confirms what I was seeing.  Appreciate the translation of "nin ..."  I guessed it was to do with mom's pedigree.  What do you think "Dolicye" means when referring to the other Margaret MacKay?  Also, I saw much later baptisms for a Donald (8/31/1831), Christian (12/6/1827), Mary (2/5/1826), Margaret (6/10/1834), and William (5/14/1838) in Tarbat by Fearn.  The parents are listed as Thomas MacCulloch & Margaret MacKay.  What do you think this could mean - a second baptism perhaps?

Also, do you know where Cennabin or Cnocbreac or Balamhulich are located?  I did see Island Choarie.

Very excited to return to Scotland and explore this area.  Saw a lot of the highlands, but not that far north.

Lynn

Offline mckayg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 May 05 21:16 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of the parish register for Durness for Baptisms and Marriages from 1764-1814. If anyone would like me to do a lookup I would be more than happy to.

All the best

Andy

My gg grandfather Donald Mckay (b about 1799) emigrated from the Isle of Muck to Lake Ainslie Nova Scotia about 1824. He married Jessie MacDonald, b about 1807. We belkieve his father may have been John McKay of Durness who married Mary Campbell. I have all the ancestry from Donald to the present. Do you think you could help?

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 May 05 13:42 BST (UK) »
hi mckayg

This was all the info I could find :-

03/06/1788 John MacKay alias MacDholicustian tenent in Portchamil and Mary Campbell, William
15/02/1790 John MacKay Boveman in Balnaceil and Mary Campbell, Flora
08/05/1792 John MacKay Boveman in Balnaceil and Mary Campbell, Hugh
12/03/1797 John MacKay alias Macholicustian a farmer in Sartigrim and Mary Campbell, Marion
21/09/1799 John MacKay alias Macdholicustian a wright and farmer in Sartigrim and Mary Campbell, Donald
23/10/1802 John  MacKay alias Macdholicustian a little tenent and Mary Campbell, Christian
02/10/1804 John MacKay alias Macdholicustian farmer in Sangobeg and Mary Campbell, Isobel
25/03/1806 John MacKay alias Macdholicustian farmer in Sangobeg and Mary Campbell, Janet
21/03/1807 John MacKay alias Macdholicustian little farmer in Cnocbreac and Mary Campbell, Mackay Donald
07/01/1809 John MacKay alias Macdholicustian in Cnocbreac and Mary Campbell, Ann
19/09/1811 John MacKay alias Macdholicustian in Cnocbreac and Mary Campbell, Alexander

Sorry could not find birth of John or Mary but I think Johns alias means son of Donald son of Christian, hope this helps.

Andy
Surname Interests.

Allin - Sutcombe, Devon * Blake - Cornwall, Cardiif * Campbell - Durness * Cockburn - London and Scotland * Elsey - London * Facey -  Holsworthy, Devon * Falconer - Durness and Eddrachillis * Hartfall - Gosport * Hopkins - Barry and Sully * Howell - Cheptow * Larkin - Bromley, Kent * Lambert - Sturminster Newton, Dorset * McDonald - Compton Gifford, Plymouth * Moxley  - St Arvans * Smith - Bethnal Green * Taylor - Portishead * Wickenden - Southsea * Yeo - Cornwall and Devon

Offline mckayg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 May 05 15:03 BST (UK) »
Andy thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the dates don't match. Would you have any information on Donald McKay (or MacKay) born about 1799 who apparently emigrated from the Isle of Muck to East Lake Ainslie, Cape Breton (now part of Nova Scotia) about 1824. He married Jessie MacDonald of the Isle of Mull, daughter of Alexander MacDonald and Mary McLean who also emigrated to Capr Breton. Any help is most appreciated. Thanks, Gord

Offline andy_smed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 May 05 19:48 BST (UK) »
Isn't The Donald MacKay baptised 21/09/1799 your one then?
Surname Interests.

Offline mckayg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 May 05 21:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry Andy. It seems I mis-read the information (new to this stuff). This could be it! Do I read this correctly by assuming all on this with the same alias of siblings (same parents)? In other words the alias Balnaceil is another family? Also I haven't been able to locate Sartigrim. Do you know where that is by any chance? The same alias seems to be from different locations (Sartigrim, Sangobeg and Cnocbreac). Am I correct there. Really appreciate your help. I hit the perverbable brick wall a few months ago.

Offline ChristineR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 May 05 07:02 BST (UK) »
hi mckayg

This was all the info I could find :-

03/06/1788 John MacKay alias MacDholicustian tenent in Portchamil and Mary Campbell, William
15/02/1790 John MacKay Boveman in Balnaceil and Mary Campbell, Flora  .... snip....
07/01/1809 John MacKay alias Macdholicustian in Cnocbreac and Mary Campbell, Ann
19/09/1811 John MacKay alias Macdholicustian in Cnocbreac and Mary Campbell, Alexander

Sorry could not find birth of John or Mary but I think Johns alias means son of Donald son of Christian, hope this helps.

Andy

Hello Andy, 
the above Flora belongs to my line.  Could you please confim your last entry above? - I had been told that the family were now in Durin for the 1811 baptism of Alexander (the family arriving in Durin is crucial to my acceptance of this John McKay as my Flora's father who is listed as John McKay, Miller, Durin at her marriage)

ChristineR
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk