Author Topic: Durness Parish Register  (Read 162910 times)

Offline SuzM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Durness Parish Register
« Reply #297 on: Wednesday 04 November 09 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Andy, you are a star, many thanks for the offer - you might be sorry you did!

(By the way before I start, is it possible to purchase a copy? I would happily do my own look ups if I could get hold of one)

In the meantime anything you can find on any of the following would be much appreciated:

John Sutherland (or MacRory) married to Barbara McKenzie who had Roderick Sutherland, ch 09.09.1793 @ Durness. They also had John b.1787, Flora Forbes b.1792 and Rachel b.1785.

Also  George McKay and Jean Morrison who married I think 19.01.1790 @ Durness. think Jean was b. 04.02.1771 @ Durness and her father might have been George.
they had a daughter Mary McKay b. 15.11.1792 @ Durness.

There's lots more but those would be great to help me on my way.

Many thanks

Ellen.

Hi

I am trying to find out who Roderick Sutherland, ch 09.09.1793 @ Durness married.

I have seen 2 different wives: -

Mary MacKenzie born 1791/92, died 1861/71
or
Mary MacKay born 1792 Crospoll, Durness, Sutherland, Scotland, died 1867 Sangomore, Durness, Sutherland, Scotland.
I have a picture of the Tombstone from Balnakiel Cemetery.....In memory of Rory Sutherland who died at Saingo 24th March 1864 aged 72 years. Also his Wife Mary Mackay who died 18th March 1867 aged 75 years. Erected by their Son Angus.

Angus Christening: 2 Dec 1834, Durness, Sutherland, Scotland.

Children of Roderick (Rory) Sutherland and Mary MacKay:

Kenneth Sutherland, John Sutherland, Boyce Mackenzie Sutherland, Jean or Jane Sutherland and Agnus Sutherland.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Suz
Mackay/MacKay/McKay and the variant spellings, Nicholson, Torrington, Figg

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Saturday 07 November 09 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz,
The Sutherlands and the Mackays from Durness are sometimes difficult to unravel. Apart from trying to establish which Mary married the Roderick Sutherland born 09.09.1793, can you tell us who you are trying to trace?

A distant cousin, Angie Lamb, sent me some of the information she had found, and she has him marrying Mary Mackenzie, but she did not send a confirming reference.

I can tell you, though, that at least three you have shown as children of Roderick and Mary Mackay were, in fact, children of Mary Mackenzie. They are Kenneth (Nov 8, 1820); John (Oct 20, 1823); and Boyce MacKenzie Mar 26, 1826). Angie has shown all those you listed as children of Mary Mackenzie, and I can confirm that Jane/Jean and Angus are shown as siblings of Boyce in the 1851 census.

It is curious that in the Balnakeil Burial Ground, #67 records Kenneth Sutherland (Angie's family); #68 records Boyce Sutherland (again Angie's family) and #69 records Rory Sutherland (and Mary Mackay (the one you mentioned)

I suppose it is just possible that Mary Mackenzie and Mary Mackay are one and the same?

Not much help I'm afraid; but don't give up.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline Root66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Thursday 10 December 09 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I've noticed the kind offers of help and the detailed replies you've been giving and wondered if you've come across my Mackays?  One of my ancestors, Thomas Louttit, married Margaret Mackay in 1837 in Rousay. She states her age in 1841 as 36 and born Dornoch.  I found a baptism in Durness by Dornoch on Scotlands People and Ancestry show:
John Mackay in Sartigrim, shepherd from Strathy,and ... Margaret Mackay, Margaret 21 Jun 1805 West Moine Mission Baptisms. Sutherland: Durness - Parish Registers, 1764-1814  Margaret died about 1851/2.  I have also wondered if she had been a widow and not born Mackay but that's just because of her age when she married Thomas.  I hope you don't mind me asking if you've noticed that particular Margaret or if you've already linked her with someone, as if you have I'd need to look for someone else?  Hope you can help
Kind Regards
Hazel

Bennion, Furnivall, Pidcock, Pimblott, Pinnington, Senior

Offline RayRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: Monday 14 December 09 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael. re John Paterson who Married Elizabeth Douglas...
John,b13Dec1800@Beanley Eglingham, Northumberland[Eng]married 9 nov 1827 to ElizabethDouglas ch21Jan1806at Thurso Caithness[second child of George Doughlas & Elizabeth McIntosh]They emigrated to NZon the Robert Henderson in1862..farmed at Otepopo-now Herbert.        John d-23May1877; Eliz.d-31Aug 1884.
Family-1-Janet-b1828; 2-Isabella[Elizabeth]b1830.at Durness.d1902,NZ; 3-Jane ch1833Farr,Caithness..b7Spt '33@Achinah; 4-Anthony b28April'39,@Durness,d NZ;  5-JohnWilliam b-c1842,Durness, d-NZ; George -b1843,Durness ,dNZ; 7 Helen.
i'm,des.from George.
Johns father-- Anthony b22 March1775 atOxnam-Mains m Jane Grecian,[d of James Grecian & Eleanor Steel]on11May1796. He died 18Jan1856 at Kennachy. He wasa shepherd.JANE  b-8 April1886at Glanton,Northumberland; d-5 Aug 1842 at Kennachy.ch--1-Jamesb-25Aug, 1796 Beanly[emigr. to Australia] 2- Andrew,b-30 June 1798 Beanly ;Northumberland,3-John b13 Dec Beanly[mEliz Douglas] 4- Eleanor b 19 Sept 1803 Shipley, 5-Michael b 18Dec 1805, Beanly; 6-Jane b 2Nov 1810 Beanly; 7-Thomas b c15Oct1815 at Farr; 8-Mary b 29April1809 Beanly.
Anthony's dad-James, b at Mosshouses, ch-23Oct 1746 at Melrose; m Ann Hall [d of Anthony Hall & Isobel Michelson ]
Ann ch - 10 May1747 st Scotland. Anthony d-Sept 1815 Sandiestanes buried Ancrum Roxborough.
children-1Thomas b11 June 1771; 2-Anthony-3-John b 19June1779 OxnamMains .
father of James was Thomas born Scotland m Janet Paterson 2 Nov 1745 at Melrose Caithness.children-1-Jamesb1746   ; 2-Janet ch2May1749;3-Thomas ch 21Aug 1751; 4-Margaret ch 8Dec 1755; 7-Agnes-ch7 Nov 1758.
Father of Thomas was James who married Margaret?? It is not known if there were chidren other than Thomas. Cheers!!

Offline RayRob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Monday 14 December 09 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank-you , Julina , for your reply ( to Michael ) , Friday 06 January , 2006.
I have been studying it with great interest...
Your reference ( about half-way down the page , to ' JANE b-8 April 1886 at Glanton, Northumberland ; d-Aug 1842 at Kennachy.'
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]has had me struggling somewhat. However I now realise that the year should read 1776 ?
Do you agree ?
Many Thanks [/color][/color]

Offline kiwl girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Monday 21 December 09 11:51 GMT (UK) »
John Paterson & Elizabeth Douglas were my gt gt  gt grand parents. buried in The Otepopo Cemetery ( Now Herbert ) New Zealand. If you would like to contact me  . (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline kiwl girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julina - I believe you descend from George Paterson my gt gt grandfather was his brother Anthony thus making John & Elizabeth Paterson ( nee Douglas ) my gt gt gt grandparents. This site is hard because I don't know where you live or how much you know.AlsoI do not know where your info came from. I live in N. Z. and have a copy of the death entry for Elizabeth.This may be a red herring but it shows  that she was born in Northumberland & married in Sutherlandshire.The informent was her son Anthony.I am also working in with a descendant of John William - Regards kiwi girl

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kiwi Girl,
 You probably already know this but just in case you don't, the reason that so many families "emigrated" from the Scottish Borders and the County of Northumberland to the County of Sutherland was because the men were shepherds. They were in demand because of their experience with the "big" sheep, which were introduced as one of the Sutherlands'  "improvements".

If you have access to the Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness, there is an interesting paper published in volume LXI (1998 - 2000). I did not see the name Paterson mentioned but there are several references to Douglas, although not Elizabeth Douglas specifically.

Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline kiwl girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your input Ian. I don't know about the Douglas side ,but I believe Elizabeth's husbands brother Thomas Paterson was involved in someway with the clearances. Regards Kiwi Girl