Author Topic: Totagin, Merredin, W.A  (Read 7213 times)

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Totagin, Merredin, W.A
« on: Tuesday 04 May 10 11:17 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with information about Totagin/Todagin near Merridin in Western Australia around 1913/14.
Henry Dumbrill was born in 1876 in Godstone, Surrey (I have him up to 1911 in the UK Census). At some time between 1911 and 1914 he migrates to Western Australia as a single man.
He joined the 11 Battalion AIF on the 29 August 1914 at Helena Vale in W.A.
He is recorded in the 1916 Electoral Roll but was fighting overseas by then so would have filled out his electoral application prior to 1914.

"Electoral Roll. Western Australia.
1916. Dumbrill, Henry Neville. 'Todadjin' Merredin, Market Gardener."

What was Totagin and what was going on up there around1913/14. What work would have attracted him and what would appear to be many other young men at the time, as a lot of men appear to have joined up in 1914 for WW1 from that area.
Dumbrill's background was a Royal Guardsman as a young man and living at home in Eastbourne with his family in 1911 as a 33 year old gardener.

I do not know if Totagin was a small town then, a workers camp or the name for a larger area and he just gave his previous occupation on the electoral form. On return from WW1 he mainly worked for the Railways for the rest of his life.
I have most other records for him (WW1, WW2, Electoral. Post Office address) but if this man is known to anyone I would like to hear from them.
Regards,
John
BELL :Coatbridge, Sct & West Aust
WALLIS :Lamberhurst, Ticehurst, Frant. Ssx & West Aust
SENYARD :London.
VEAZEY :London
PARMENTER :Acton Suffolk & London & West Aust

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Totagin, Merredin, W.A
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 11:24 BST (UK) »
Merridan is a rural town and Tangedin is the name of a small town.  It could also be the name of a farm.  There is a Totadgin Conservation Park.
http://www.merredin.wa.gov.au/about

A regional map on this site may help you.
http://www.wheatbelttourism.com/en/Maps.htm

Cando

Edit to add url for maps.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
John I really think it is just an area south west of Merridan.  I live in a rural area very similar to the area around Merridan - mainly wheat growing.  Many years ago we had a post office, small school, sports area and hall, today there is absolutely nothing...the area is now part of a 640 acre paddock.  Try http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&tab=wl   Search for Merridan and using the satellite view, you will see it is all farms.  Perhaps he was a farm labourer...and it would have been hard work in 1916.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merredin,_Western_Australia

I see from your profile you are located in WA....I probably didn't need to give you the links ;D

Cheers
Cando

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 12:58 BST (UK) »
Totadgin is 5km south of Merredin, as to what he was doing there he was either farming or working on the Kalgoorlie pipeline; it was too late for the building of the pipeline (1892 -always remember that because it was the year Grandma was born), however he could have been employed on maintainance of the pipe.

Google "Kalgoorlie pipeline", C Y O'Connor "golden pipeline" or goldfields pipeline; I'm sure something will come up.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 May 10 23:20 BST (UK) »
Denn there doesn't appear to be a town as such - it was obviously gazetted at one stage but nothing there now - not even a grain receival depot.    Could it have been a railway construction camp for the narrow gauge railway which runs south of Merredin which appears to be under threat of closure
http://www.merredinmercury.com.au/news/local/news/general/farmers-fight-railway-closures/1731078.aspx

Cando

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 01:50 BST (UK) »
Having re read the original post I see that he was listed as a market gardener. At that time it is possible that pipeline maintenance workers were stationed there, also as Cando says there was a narrow gauge rail but I can't find when that began, another possibility is telegraph workers.
However being so far from Perth fresh veges would of necessity be locally grown and in such a climate as the wheat belt water had to be a major consideration and it seems that Tontadgin may have been a suitable place for a market garden http://www.planbooktravel.com.au/attractions/wa/merredin/totadgin-dam-reserve

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 05:48 BST (UK) »
Telegraph reached Merredin in 1892 and the railway station buildings [part museum] date from c1913. 

On return from WW1 he mainly worked for the Railways for the rest of his life.

He was a farmer post WW1 and  appeared with an Elsie only once on the electoral roll.   He is buried in Karrakatta as is Elsie, but not in the same location.  The Grantee of Henry's grave, tenure now expired, was Ethel Rose WORTHINGTON. His daughter born 30 Oct 1918, according to her WW2 enlistment.

During his enlistment period he married a widow in the UK -

Marriages Sep qtr 1918   - 18 Jun 1918 according to his WW1 service record.
DUMBRILL  Henry N   
AMOS Elsie           Epsom 2a/98

On his WW1 enlistment his occupation is farmer and he was still a farmer in 1925.

Australian Electoral Roll
DUMBRILL Elsie  Wish Farm, Caversham  HD
DUMBRILL Henry Nevill  Wish Farm, Caversham  Farmer

DUMBRILL Henry Nevill  Witchcliffe   Permanentway

In 1919 he stated he had a dependant wife and four children and two stepsons applied for passage to Australia. The two boys stayed and married in WA. 

I note that consistently throughout the files the name is Nevill....no 'e'.

Curious about your man when I read his files....and that is why I love helping others and learning about their ancestors. ;D

Cheers
Cando

Offline John Bell

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Denn & Cando,
Mary thanks for your contributions, all helpfull.
I had not thought about the pipeline Denn so thank you for that and yes Cando he had a block of land in Benara Rd, Caversham after WW1 before working for the WAGR for the rest of his life, mainly in Margaret River, while his wife lived in Caversham/Guildford.
I have not as yet found out when he arrived in W.A but one day that info will turn up no doubt!
Best regards,
John
BELL :Coatbridge, Sct & West Aust
WALLIS :Lamberhurst, Ticehurst, Frant. Ssx & West Aust
SENYARD :London.
VEAZEY :London
PARMENTER :Acton Suffolk & London & West Aust

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 06:54 BST (UK) »
John I place my bet on him being a farm labourer ;D

I have trawled the outgoing passenger records from the UK from 1911 to 1916 for DUMBR* and nothing shows except for Elsie and children Ethel Rose and Dorothy Nora  embarking from London on the OSTERLEY on 21 May 1919 for Australia.

Cheers
Cando