Author Topic: Bater  (Read 4977 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Bater
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 May 10 18:48 BST (UK) »
I can find nothing relating to Charles or Robert Bater and can find no passenger record to put either in the USA. I see Robert in the UK Census 1851 and 1861 with Thomasine/Tammy and 2 death records Q3 1867 Barnstable which would appear to be them.  So sorry unable to help.  Have you tried to put this enquiry on the Devon Board to see what response you may get in the UK.  A few family tree's appear on anc..try but you probably have more information than everyone as they show practically nothing but the names.  :(
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Bobbater

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 May 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
I am in contact with several OPCs in Devon, as well as the Devon Heritage Society.  The problem appears to be a combination of scarce pre-1800 records and the fact that most of the Baters of my line were agricultural workers or servants who were farmed out at a very young age.  They boys moved from farm to farm and town to town and the parish records may have a name or a marriage, but no parents or place of birth.

Offline luckyb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 June 10 21:04 BST (UK) »
Robert Bater and Tammy Scoins were married in Chittlehampton, Devon on 4th Oct 1821. They had the following children
Mary Ann Bater baptised 12 Jan 1823 in Atherington, Devon
John Bater baptised 29 feb 1824 in Atherington
William Bater baptised 15 Aug 1825 in Atherington
James Bater Baptised 3 Dec 1826 in Atherington
Elizabeth Bater Baptised 26th Jun 1831 in Atherington

Tammy (tamazin or Thomazin) was born about 1786 and died in 1867 in Chittlehampton

Robert Bater was baptised 29 May 1796 in Roborough, Devon and he died in 1867 in Chittlehampton. His parents were Charles Bater and Loveday Thomas

Charles and Loveday married on 15th Feb 1795 in Roborough, Devon

Children of Charles and Loveday were
Robert Bater bapt 29 May 1796
John Bater bapt 6 apr 1798
Mary Bater bapt 30 Mar 1800
They were all born in Roborough

I have more information about some of Loveday's ancestors but none of Charles. I thought the James Bater born in 1826 was the person I was looking for but have since discovered that my ancestor is another James Bater born in 1831 in Warkleigh so I have stopped researching Robert Bater's line.

Hope this is useful

Offline Bobbater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 20:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information on Charles and Robert.   I would be interested in information on Loveday's parents.  There are connections between Loveday's parents, Robert Thomas and Mary Newcombe, and other Baters through marriages between the Newcombes and Scoins.   

Emanuel Newcombe married Elizabeth Bater (William Bater's sister).  William is my gg-grandfather.  Emanuel is the s/o John Newcombe and Elizabeth Britton.

The Robert mentioned in the previous posting married Tammy Scoins.  There is a Mary Jane Scoins b. 1853 (d/o John Scoins III) in Bethany, Genesee, NY who married Edward Newcombe, b. 1850 Devon.  Edward and Mary Jane immigrated to Stafford, Genesee, NY and had at least 5 children born there after 1873.

There is a Mary Newcmbe b. 1821 Chawleigh, who married William Edworthy.
and moved to Canada in 1860. There is an earlier Bater/Edworthy marriage. 

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 20:45 BST (UK) »
Just to make you aware - there is some information on Rootsweb World Connect regarding the parents of Loveday Thomas which might be helpful to you both.   ;)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/08xf/
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline luckyb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 21:14 BST (UK) »
Here is the info I have about Loveday's ancestors.

Parents of Loveday were Robert Thomas and Mary Newcombe who were married on 6 Sep 1761 in Roborough, Devon. They had the following children all baptised in Roborough.
Mary 1761, John 1764, Joan 1766, Elizabeth 1768, Loveday 1771, Robert 1773, William 1777, Susannah 1781, Susanna 1784

Mary Newcombe was born in 1739 in Roborough. her parents were Robert Newcombe and Joan Matthews. They married on 2 May 1731 in Roborough. Children of Robert and Joan were all baptised in Roborough.
Frances 1731, Mary 1733, Robert 1735, Joan 1737, Mary 1739, William 1742

Robert Newcombe was born in 1706 in Roborough The son of Robert Newcombe(2) and Frances Day. They married on 30 Oct 1705 in Roborough. Children of Robert and Frances were Robert 1706, William 1708

Joan Matthews was born in 1707 in High Bickington, Devon. Her parents were John Matthews and Susanna Graddon. They were married on 31 Jan 1706

Frances Day was born in 1683 in Roborough the daughter of George Day and Frances Bond. George and Frances married on 2 Feb in Roborough. They had the following children all baptised in Robourough.
John 1671, Mary 1673, Thomas 1675, Elizabeth 1678, Joseph 1680, Frances 1683, George 1687

George Day was born in 1647 in Roborough. His parents were George Day and Mary ?. They had the following children baptised in Roborough.
Thomas 1638, Mary 1641, Frances 1642, John 1644, George 1647

Frances Bond was born in 1647, daughter of John Bond and Elizabeth ?. John and Elizabeth had the following children baptised in Roborough.
Johane 1645, Frances 1647, Elizabeth 1650, John 1652, Mary 1656, Anthony 1658, William 1664

And that is all the info I have. Good luck with the rest of your search.

Offline Bobbater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 June 10 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the Loveday Thomas material.  The connections between these Devon families just keeps getting more complex.  You indicated that the mother of Mary Newcombe was Joan Matthews, daughter of Susanna Graddon. 

The William Bater I previously mentioned married Harriet Turner.  Harriet's mother was Mary Graddon (Grattobn?) b. 1796.

The same William Bater had a cousin (?), Richard Bater b.1824 Chulmleigh who married Margaret Graddon in 1847 in Chulmleigh and they immigrated to Stafford, Genesee, NY in 1851.  They then moved on to MI in 1861.

I guess I will have to start a new file on the Graddons.

Thanks for all your help. (I think!  Now there is more work!)

Offline genealogyjules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 December 10 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bob
Having just seen your request for information re Baters & Scoins as I m related  to both Families.

I did not realise another member/descendant of the Scoins Family emigrated to USA - if you see 1880 US Census there is a John Scoins who was born in Chulmleigh. I have him linked into my Husbands Family.
My Husband is connected to Baters through marriage (Kelland & Norman) whilst I have a direct line Gt Grandmother Betsey - who was born in Huntshaw in 1817 to a James & Grace.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Julie (Scoines)
Bevell, Prowse, Morgan, Ford, Foot, Brown, Horswill, Thornton, Ryder,  from the South Hams area of Devon.
Long, Baker, Tallyn, Bowden, Vilven, Balkwill, Rockey from middle Devon.
Tallyn/Tallin, Edwards, Hammond, Long, Bater, Lander, Green, Halls, Judd, Johns,Tucker, Yeo, Cudmore,   from N Devon.
Robins from Roche, & Brown W Stonehouse, Cornwall

Offline SG1 Fan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 07 May 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Recently a friend, hearing me mention I was going to have a peaceful evening with my genealogy, asked me if I knew anything about his name - Essery. To be honest it was one I hadn't heard before but I requested and he gave me his parents' names. All he knew of his history was that there was someone called Arthur and he would love to know who he was. I said I would see what I could come up with and am now as hooked on his tree as I am on mine, hubby's and my research buddy's. At some point I will have to stop adding to it but not for now - I'm an addict :) . I'm creating a document as I go along which I'll pass to him at some point. He has both Bater and Scoins via Tammy/ Thomasin/Tamzin Scoins down to his grandfather Thomas George Essery 1.12.1887 who married Fanny Crocombe 19.8.1893. Not sure if I can offer anything to this discussion but I'm glad to find it for my own interest. J