Author Topic: John Wilfred Hughes - anybody connected?  (Read 2660 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
John Wilfred Hughes - anybody connected?
« on: Wednesday 05 May 10 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anybody have any connection to this man via his second relationship

John Wilfred was born in Liverpool in 1893 parents James Hughes and Jemima Kelsall. He married Susannah Peover in 1918 in Liverpool

They had 2 children in Liverpool and 2 more in the IOM in 1923 and 1925.  Shortly after the birth of their fourth child - John W left his family for another woman and possibly stayed in the IOM as there is no English death for him.

It is not known whether he had any children by this woman and her name is not known 

The burial recorded on 23.11.1955 is not the same person - although he was also born in England.  I have traced him on the 1901 and 1911 IOM census - different parents

I cannot find a marriage in the IOM although any marriage prior to Susannah's death in 1981 would have been bigamous.  Susannah returned to Liverpool and there was no known divorce

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline scottvwarner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Wilfred Hughes - anybody connected?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 September 23 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I think we're somewhat distant cousins. I'm hoping you can verify. I'm looking for the family of Melodee.  She's my 3rd cousin. Our mutual ancestor is on her Maternal side.
I have an extensive tree on that side. Our (hopefully) mutual ancestor has almost 2000 descendants.
A reply would be greatly appreciated.
Scott Warner
Gurnee, IL

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 September 23 14:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

I have no direct connection to the Hughes family.  John Wilfred Hughes was my friends maternal grandfather.  Her father was one of the 2 children born in the Isle of Man but was brought up & married in Liverpool.

Your post is a bit vague so can you tell me how you connect to the John Wilfred Hughes b 1893 Liverpool as his last known whereabouts were in the IOM in or around 1925/1926
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline scottvwarner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 September 23 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
I know I'm not directly related to John Wilfred Hughes Sr. But I believe I'm connected.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 September 23 14:40 BST (UK) »
You need to edit your post to remove M's name etc as Rootschat has a strict no living persons policy.

Click on the MODIFY icon - top right corner of your post which gives access for editing

The John Wilfred Hughes I was researching would be long dead as he was b 1893 in England

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 September 23 14:58 BST (UK) »
The John Wilfrid Hughes I was researching married (possibly bigamously) in 1938 & died 1958 Hampshire.  He had 2 sons by that marriage - both b Hampshire - one now deceased but one still living

Offline scottvwarner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 September 23 15:20 BST (UK) »
That's an interesting story to say the least. DNA sure can shake the tree, so to speak. If/when I find and contact my living cousins, I'll make sure to ask if anyone has any info.
Regards

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 September 23 22:16 BST (UK) »
The woman he married was Scottish & 17yrs his junior.  The 1939 register shows 2 girls born a few years before the marriage but they were registered under his wifes maiden name so n/k whether he was their father or not.

There is no information within the family that would support a divorce - his first wife was not financially able to do so but there is always the possibility he paid for it.  My friend wasn't born until 1946 so the subject wasn't really discussed

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 September 23 16:08 BST (UK) »
Update

John Wilfrid Hughes married bigamously in 1936 under the alias of John Williams.

Shortly afterwards, he was sentenced to 6 months hard labour for embezzlement and whilst in Winchester prison he was tried for bigamy and received 7 months hard labour.   He legally married the same woman in 1938 so presumably obtained a divorce in the intervening period.  It explains why both children were registered under her maiden name prior to the 1938 marriage