Author Topic: Manchester engineering company - Francis Shaw & Co  (Read 17043 times)

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester engineering company - Francis Shaw & Co
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 June 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to Rootschat! :) :)

I'm sorry I can't add anything but do you have any more on your William Shaw?

I have William Shaws on my ancestry in the area, if I had a bit more information to try and link.

Enjoy Rootschat!

Best wishes

Emms
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline DMickG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 June 13 10:06 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry but the sum total of my information on William Shaw is in my post. I have lots on the Bryans however.

Offline John Haynes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 12:07 BST (UK) »
In 1949 I got a job with a company named Tenaplas Ltd located in Upper Basildon,Berkshire where I was involved in the development of large bore LD polyethylene tubing.At that time the development of extrusion machines for thermoplastics was in its infancy and most companies used modified rubber processing machines.We used for experiments on extruding up to 7in.dia tube a modified Iddon 4in.rubber machine with a 12:1 ld ratio screw and a crude carriage type haul off.
In 1950,Ken Pepper the general manager managed to get a contract for the production of 5 miles of 6in.ID polythene tube for the Home Office for use in emergency water supply in the event of a nuclear attack on the UK.
We had no machinery capable of producing this amount to tube and nothing suitable was for sale.This is where the Francis Shaw equipment comes into the picture.We purchased a new Francis Shaw 31/2in.rubber extruded and modified it with a 15:1ratio screw and a Schrage type variable speed electric motor.We also constructed. 60ft.rail type haul off with manual tube cutting saw.This equipment was constructed in seven months and continued in production until 1954 or5.All told this equipment together with another machine produced over 120 miles of this tube.

Offline IagoG

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
Francis Shaw was bought out by an American Company called Farrel, and it's now called Farrel Ltd. Based in Castleton, Rochdale.

It's now part of a german owned group called the HF Mixing Group:

http://www.farrel-pomini.com/
http://www.hf-mixinggroup.com/en

Offline Scot Bennett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 September 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I actually worked at Francis Shaws i guess circa 1995 - 2000 before they moved up to Rochdale.
I worked on one of the large Kearns manual milling machines . Doing predominantly line boring of the various spec / dia rotors. As i recall the big oven was next to my machine where the rotors would be heated to expand to allow the drive shafts to fit. 99% of the time this was successful . There were some great guys there at the time . Alan Logan , Jason Perry spring to mind . Anyone reading this feel free to contact me at scotbennett@live.co.uk

Best wishes
Scot.