Author Topic: 60 Annfield Road, Dundee?  (Read 8818 times)

Offline breaky

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 60 Annfield Road, Dundee?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 09 May 10 12:21 BST (UK) »
Sadly, there  is no number 60, unless it was empty at the time and not included.

Number 49 is followed by Martyrs Free Church, then "Blackheath House", then number 73 -  in one column on the page.

The second column has number 62 "Grayfield House", then number 60.

Only one of the two houses is named on the map,  that's "Greyfield House" with an "e", number 62, but it's on the West side of Annfield Road.

Blackheath House was probably the house on the East side - (Blackheath Place is the next street further along on the Hawkhill Road to the East of Annfield). 

No other Lorimers are listed.

I don't have an Ancestry subscription, but I think the 1881 census can be searched under street name there, so perhaps another Rootschat member might be able to help?  If you are looking for Dundee yourself on Scotlands people, then try Angus with the district "Liff" (Liff and Benvie") for 1901.

breaky

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 May 10 13:13 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

1881 census 60 Annfield Road:

David & Margaret Fairweather & family: David A., James, Christina, & Margaret, also Mom Agnes Will

George & Margaret McMillan & family: Robert, William, John, Mary, & Jemima

William & Eliza White & family: Eliza, John, James, Margaret, Eliza, & Cathrine.

Lisa

Offline Harry Peter Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 March 18 06:39 GMT (UK) »
google Annfield House ....surrounding factories and homes have been demolished.. .the house remains as flats and you could actually stay as an exchange of homes guest!   GREAT HISTORY ABOUT THIS HOUSE!

Offline Harry Peter Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 March 18 06:47 GMT (UK) »
A follow up to Annfield  House which I new well when I lived in Dundee it was mentioned today in
https://www.facebook.com/groups/664596423667561/

WHITE ROCK BC CANADA

Offline Harry Peter Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 March 18 06:50 GMT (UK) »
google Annfield House ....surrounding factories and homes have been demolished.. .the house remains as flats and you could actually stay as an exchange of homes guest!   GREAT HISTORY ABOUT THIS HOUSE!
https://www.homeforexchange.com/listing/united-kingdom/dundee-2-br-flat-in-dundee-city-in-heritage-home......I am going to stay there

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 May 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
Here is a bit of the 1900 map of Dundee. I lived on the north side of Annfield Street at the junction with Peddie Street from 1962-66. That tenement is still there, but most of the rest of the street is long gone.
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.