Author Topic: Social history information about Dublin dock area?  (Read 23814 times)

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Social history information about Dublin dock area?
« on: Thursday 06 May 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think I have located some of my ancestors living in an area which I think was near the dublin docks. I am trying to find out whether their adresses gives me any clues one their occupations and general life. They are all in the Parish of St Andrews Dublin and the addresses are Clarence Place , Sir Johns Quay, and Learys place?
I have tried googling Dublin Docks but just come up with modern stuff. I did a search through the posts in roots chat and came across some older postings by Christopher but sadly the links were broken. I know absolutely nothing about Dublin as a city but Im guessing the dock area would be like a dock area in any big industrial city?
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Social history information about Dublin dock area?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 May 10 11:50 BST (UK) »
If you post the years your ancestors lived at those addresses I can possibly look up some details on the residents and types of business etc in the area at the time

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 May 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
That would be great! I have only births from between 1869 and 1875. Basically Thomas Cassen married Sarah Carter on 24/01/1869 (He was of 6, Leary's Cottages, she of 34 Sir Johns Quay).
Their children were:
Anne Casson 1869; 7 Leary's Place
Hanna Cassins 1871; 34 Sir Johns Quay
Sarah Cassin 1874: 16 Clarence Place
Patrick Cassin 1875: 16 Clarence Place.

Thomas, Annie and Patrick (and possibly Sarah?) then end up in 1894 in Salford Manchester.
Cheetham in Eccles, Lancashire. Roxburgh in Galston, Ayrshire. Lindsay in GlenIsla, Dundee and Newcastle

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 May 10 12:15 BST (UK) »
Both Clarence Place and Sir John Rogersons Quay still exist and are very close to each other - see 1885 map below and modern google map - Sir John Rogersons quay to Clarence Place.

The 1885 map gives some idea of the type of area. I havn't found the location of Leary's Place yet, but will have further look this evening when I check the street listings.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 May 10 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the map!  :)

The area looks quite industrial (with gas works etc) do you think it would be a sort of inner city slum area like you see in Victorian Manchester and Salford?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 May 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
I'll have to check the details for the other addresses but at most times Sir John Rogerson's Quay was a mix of businesses (trading, shipping, ship supplies etc), tenements, day-to-day businesses like shops, pubs, dairies etc mixed in with a few more wealthy occupants.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline NATHANSGRANDAD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 May 10 13:00 BST (UK) »
hi Shane and ah my grandparents lived in the same area i believe is it possible to show the area their names were James fewings   clarence st /bridget masterson grenville st i understand they married in april 1899 and a kathleen fanning 1899 north cumberland st any info please  :)

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 May 10 13:57 BST (UK) »
AH,

If you're interested in the social and industrial history of the area I can recommend a book, A History of the Port of Dublin by H.A. Gilligan, ISBN 0-7171-1578-X.

The best indication you will get of your rellies occupations will come from birth and marriage records or for later years, the 1901 and 1911 census.

Dara.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 May 10 14:09 BST (UK) »
hi Shane and ah my grandparents lived in the same area i believe is it possible to show the area their names were James fewings   clarence st /bridget masterson grenville st i understand they married in april 1899 and a kathleen fanning 1899 north cumberland st any info please  :)

Grenville street is just off Mountjoy Square on Dublin's northsdie and North Cumberland St is close-by and near to Parnell St (frmly Gt. Britain St) see modern google map Grenville street to North Cumberland st

see map below for the locations in 1885. (South Cumberland Street was on the south side of the city off Gt. Brunswick St,  now Pearse St)

do you know house/building numbers for either of these ?

Shane
My Surname Interests