Author Topic: Where did George live in Greenock?  (Read 9310 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Where did George live in Greenock?
« on: Saturday 08 May 10 11:43 BST (UK) »
George Gray Watson died in Greenock Infirmary on 6 August 1920 aged 59.  The informant was a clergyman at St Marys, Greenock.  George was an accountant and in earlier records is shown as being both a Bank Clerk and stockbroker.  Earlier records also have him living in London and the Rothes area where he was born.

As George was presumed to have died in either America or Canada in 1908, it would be interesting to find out what he was doing in Greenock in 1920.

To add complexity, it appears that he had abandoned his wife and child in Morayshire around 1908 and his wife was granted a divorce in 1915.

Is there any way of finding out where he was living before being admitted to the Infirmary?  Would he likely appear in trade directories or maybe he appeared in the local newspaper advertising his services.

Does anyone know how I can gain access to possible sources of information?

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Where did George live in Greenock?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 May 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this will help but there is a George Gray Watson on the incoming passenger list in 1919 from New York to Liverpool.  Born 1862.

He was an Accountant and going to his brother in Elgin, Scotland.  He is coming in on the ship the Carmania.  He gives his last place of permanent residence as Canada.

Tressle
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 May 10 12:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tressle, looks like my man.  Did you get that from Ancestry or another resource? 

He had a twin brother, William, living in the Elgin area but I wonder what made him stop in Greenock.

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 May 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kit
this is only a possibility
with the informant being a clergyman from St Mary's parish
this sounds to me that George may have been living at the little sisters of the poor (nursing Home)
some people paid to go into the little sisters
at that time I think it was in Union Street Greenock (St Mary's Parish)
I dont know if they would still have records from that time though
does his death cert give a usual address on it
Elaine

Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 May 10 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine

I only have the record from ScotlandsPeople and it's a little difficult to read.  Now that you mention it though, under 'Infirmary Greenock' it has @***** Baxter Street'.  I took that as being the address of the Infirmary but it actually might say 'formerly, Baxter Street'.

My daughter has started to call him 'Bad George' for deserting his family but who knows what makes people do things.  It would be quite sad to think that he was destitute on his return from Canada.

Kit

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 May 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Kit
Baxter Street (East End of Greenock) is'nt in the St Mary's parish (West End) so
it may be possible that he was in the little sisters
if he had no-one to look after him if he was ill (not neccessarily destitute)
I think you can still contact the little sisters at the Union Street address
have you tried looking for a Will for him on SP
I know what you mean there are always reasons people do what they do
and without getting his side of the story we cant judge
I dont think there would be an obituary in the local paper if he didn't have any family
in the area but not sure if it may have been reported in the national paper to see if any family
came to claim him.
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline Maggiemck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 11:16 BST (UK) »
yes just wanted to add my voice to Elaine's. One of my ancestors died in the poorhouse in Glasgow. But on researching it I found that the lady had had a stroke and needed constant care. She was evidently partially paralysed by the stroke and clearly was unable to remain at home.  Even families with money (as hers did) sometimes ended up in unfortunate places do to illness or other reasons. Think it's not always destitution which takes them there.
McKenzie Grant Killin Gallagher/Gallacher

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 11:26 BST (UK) »
Kit,  try the Watt Library Index, Greenock....Skoosh.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 May 10 17:10 BST (UK) »
Maggiemck - thanks for your insight. You're right, there must be plenty of different reasons why people end up in these circumstances.

Skoosh - cheers for that.  Will try the Watt Library and see what they may have.

Kit