Author Topic: Where did George live in Greenock?  (Read 9319 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where did George live in Greenock?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 May 10 08:04 BST (UK) »
Yes iot looks like Lobar Pneumonia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobar_pneumonia

I wonder if he had been ill for some time and living in the area as the clergyman who reported his death knew his parents details

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 May 10 08:31 BST (UK) »
the address is definately Baxter Street
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline Grey Seagull

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 May 10 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Most likely hospital then is Greenock Royal Infirmary, Duncan Street.  Possibly though, the fever/infectious diseases hospital (called Gateside in the 60s) might be the one, though don't know what the address would be.  This was out in the country rather than in the town, so a better choice if he was recovering.  However, if it was acute, then Duncan Street would have been the one.

If you are thinking of going west, make an appointment with registrar to see original book - details might be clearer.  And before that, take a trip to the cemetery and ask the staff at the office there (up beside the crematorium) if they can give you the burial details.  This might help confirm the address and/or cause of death.  And, if he was not normally resident in the area, the relationship of the lair owner would be interesting.

A trip on a Thursday or Friday will also let you fit in a visit to the Mitchell to see the medical archivist, though suggest you contact them in advance to order information if they have any.

Although there is a Res address given, this might have been a lodging house while he was waiting for his boat and where he took ill.  Maybe someone can tell you if there are voter's rolls available, and you could check those too.

It may have been that George was told he was dying or likely to, and therefore provided the information which appears on his death certificate.  If he was a businessman, he would have to contact his employer or employees.  It may also be that he carried his birth certificate with him as he was travelling: when did passports become the norm? though the knowledge of his two marriages, and particularly his divorce would have to have been passed on, possibly as next of kin on the hospital admission information.  How soon after the death was it registered?  If that day or next, info obviously ready to hand.  If a bit linger, they might have had to track it down.

:)
Fleming: Campsie, Glasgow, E Kilbride, Cumbria, Canada/USA, Oz (NSW)
Cant: Kilmichael, Inverness, Resoles, Moray
Stewart: Dingwall, Strathpeffer
Rankin(e): Argyll, Glasgow
Ferrier: Kinnell, Red Castle, Inverkeillor, Glasgow, Greenock
Morrell: Dundee, Oban, Perth, Rothesay
Harris: Glasgow, Dunoon
Hart: Govan
McDonell/McDonald: Knoydart, Kilmonivaig, Inverness, Paisley
(Mc)Niven: Islay, Glasgow
MacDonald: N Uist, Glasgow
MacCorquodale: N Uist
Dear: St Cyrus
Gibb: St Vigeans
Bell: Forfarshire

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 May 10 09:05 BST (UK) »
I would say George did die in the infirmary in Duncan Street
the death cert would have said Gateside Hospital if he died there
If George was living somewhere like the little sisters
he would have provided all the information to them when he
went there, as the cert say's he was the widower of Elizabeth Gordon
I think it is unlikely he would have put her down as next of kin
this may be of help to you
http://www.archives.gla.ac.uk/gghb/collects/ac9.html
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 29 May 10 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the valuable information which will give me plenty of options for further research.

The Moray Libindx site has a headstone ref at Rothes Churchyar (Ro247) which includes George.  Not sure whether this means he/they are buried there or are listed in rememberance.  Others on the same reference are:

Alexander Watson (Brother) 1852-16/6/1861
James Watson (Brother) 1846-26/4/1866
Annie Watson (Aunt) 1834-31/5/1877
Isabella Watson (mum) 1824-16/9/1882
William Watson (dad) 1827-19/4/94
Jessie Dawson (nee Watson) (sister) 1857-10/2/1897
Eliza Watson (Aunt) 19/6/1836-6/61906
George Gray Watson 1870 (incorrect should be 1861)-6/8/1920

Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline cmcderment

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that he was there because that's simply where his ship docked? It was one of the main ports and anyone arriving there ill would have been put into hospital there. He may not have been living there at all.
McKillops of Greenock, Ireland and Mull
Macdonalds of North Uist
Donald Fraser, involved in the '45
Allan Macdonald "out" in the '45
McDerments of Ireland and Ayrshire

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 08:10 BST (UK) »
Good point cmcderment.  I suppose I'll never know for sure.  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 09:43 BST (UK) »

My daughter has started to call him 'Bad George' for deserting his family but who knows what makes people do things.

Kit

Too true Kit. I had a similar situation with my GG grandfather and went off him for a while. He went off to America leaving behind a wife and four children with  a fifth being born in a poorhouse. However further digging shows that he was visiting his brother possibly with a view to finding work and taking the rest of the family over. It appears he dallied too long and that last child wasn't his. So we can't really jump to conclusions and it's difficult to know what was going on in people's everyday lives back then.

Then again, if all had gone according to plan, the family would have followed him to America, my great gran wouldn't have met my great grandfather and I wouldn't be here. I expect those twists of fate apply to all of us on here.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth