Author Topic: James William Ogden  (Read 10620 times)

Offline antipas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James William Ogden
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 April 11 19:42 BST (UK) »
I have now had further information from The Children's Society Records and Archives Centre, about William Leo Ogden, son of James William, and stepson of Susan. 
To quote the letter:

'The application for William to be received into the care of the Waifs and Strays Society (as the Children's Society was formerly known) was made by Miss Edith Miles, the Honorary Secretary of the Leicester Home for Boys. On 5 December 1890 she wrote to the Secretary of the Waifs and Strays Society:
"A boy named William Ogden was brought to the Leicester Homes by Mr Morris, a member of the Local Committee, on November 12th. Mr Morris had found the boy in a low lodging house in Leicester. The boy stated that his mother died in a lodging house at Wellingborough about three months ago and that his father died about ten months ago.
The boy was employed for about a fortnight in Hinchley*, he said (and this was found to be true) by a travelling photographer who told him to come to his shop in Leicester, but when he reached there he was fold he was not wanted.
Enquiry was made through the police at Welling borough and it was found that the boy had lived there in lodging houses, once or twice during the last six months and he got his living by running errands, but it was untrue that his mother died in a lodging house at Welling borough.
The boy admitted that his father was alive and that his stepmother lived at Northampton. The Northampton police were communicated with, and letters from them are enclosed. The Matron of the Boys' Home feels that the boy is not really bad and that he has been cruelly treated by his stepmother and that has been the cause of his leaving his father's house. She is sure with proper management he would turn out a very good boy.
We feel quite certain the boy will not return to his father if he is sent, in consequence of his step¬mother's ill-treatment; if possible we should very much like to keep the boy and I shall be much obliged if you will tell me if the Executive Committee would be likely to entertain the case. If you think they would, I will at once get an application form filled up as far as possible."
Edith Miles enclosed two letters from the Chief Constable for the Borough of Northampton. The first, dated 21 November 1890 stated: "I have to inform you that enquiries have been made respecting this boy's statement and it is found that his father, William Ogden, left here on the 17th instant with his employer to do some paving in Wales, but his wife (the boy's stepmother) has not been informed of his address at present. She states that she was married to Ogden about seven years ago, at Praed St. Church, Camden Town, London. The boy has run away from home several times and on the 3rd September last was sent home from Dr. Barnardo's home in London, he had then been away about five weeks ... His friends are too poor to pay his fare to Northampton but will give him a home if he is sent."
The second letter from the Chief Constable is dated 28 November 1890: "I have to inform you that this boy's father and stepmother are now residing at 8 Jubilee Terrace, L1andudno, North Wales. Nothing is known against them but they are in poor circumstances ... The boy was in some workhouse in London about twelve months ago ... His stepmother does not attend to him as perhaps she ought." '
*Should be Hinckley, I think.

This is not very creditable to stepmother Susan, I'm afraid, but we do not have her side of it.  The application (1890) mentioned other children of James William and his first wife Sophia:
Barnaby Ogden, address Clerkenwell, age 15, earning 10 shillings weekly;
Annie Ogden, Hammersmith, 20, rugmaker;
Frances Beasley, Brixton, age not given, married.

This is very helpful to me and I will write and thank the Children's Society.  It does give a picture of people going out of their way to rescue and help this waif - a rather different picture of the one often painted of children's homes.  The Children's Society only supplies copies of the documents to the original people they concern.

Trevor

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 April 11 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for the detail Trevor - very interesting account from the Waifs and Strays Society records

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 April 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
Wow!, Thanks very much Trevor,

The letter certainly makes interesting reading and does answer some of my questions about the family, (it also throws up a few more questions too).

It's really good to know that there were people out there trying their best to help this poor boy.

Mary  :)
MASON - Northampton/Long Buckby
RUSSELL - Leicester
CIVIL - Northampton/Northumberland
SIMPSON - Leicester
HANWELL - Northampton/Long Buckby
BULLIMORE - Northampton/Lincoln
OGDEN - Northampton/London
BARGINALL - London
WRIGHT - Northampton
HILLYARD - Northampton
PICKERING - Northampton