Author Topic: Epsom photographs  (Read 10439 times)

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Epsom photographs
« on: Sunday 09 May 10 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi to all in Surrey.
                 I do not know if the properties still exist as my grandfather, James Collis, lived in them at the period of World War 1. If they do however, would it be possible for some kind soul to email me photographs of
                     2 Nonsuch Cottages, Linton's Lane, Epsom
and           112 Lower Court Road, Epsom
                           Many thanks for looking at this post.
                                             Regards,
                                                   Scobie

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Epsom photographs
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 May 10 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Scobie

112 Lower Court Rd, Epsom still exists and 2 Nonsuch Cottages, Lintons Lane probably still exists, although it has probably been renumbered. It was/is one of 6 cottages called Nonsuch Cottages. If you have access to Google Earth Street View 112 Lower Court Rd is opposite the junction with Horton Hill - the house with the blue car and trailer in front of it. I will go and take a couple of photos later today (rain permitting)

Brian
Epsom

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 May 10 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Scobie

I have had a look at the addresses and have attached photos. 112 Lower Court Rd is the one with the white van on the drive. It is not what I said earlier i.e. the one with the blue car (No 114).

I am 99% sure that Nonsuch Cottages are now Nos 2-12 Portland Place, which runs off Lintons Lane. The photo is of this terrace. Lintons Lane is to the right and Portland Place to the left. Portland Place did not exist in 1911 (but did in 1928)  but this terrace of cottages did and were then listed as Lintons Lane. In 1928 a Henry Collis was living at No 6. (No 3 Nonsuch Cottages?) In 1956 a Mrs E.M. Collis was living at No 2. (No 1 Nonsuch Cottages?).  If the terrace was numbered in the same direction as now, No 2 Nonsuch is the second one along, with the black door.

I noticed in the 1900 Rate Book for Epsom, and the 1901 Census, that a James Collis and family were living at 29 Adelphi Rd, Epsom, so I have included a photo of this house. In 1928 it was occupied by a James John Collis and in 1956 by Miss Collis.  (

In Epsom Cemetery there are 16 burials of Collis family members, including 3  in 1914-5 where the address is given as 4 (Not 2) Nonsuch Cottages, Lintons Lane.

I have not been able to upload the photos, so if you let me have a email address I will send them on.

Brian

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 May 10 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian.
               I really do appreciate you arranging these photographs for me.
               I have my grandfather, James Collis, at 2 Nonsuch Cottages in 1910 from his Territorial Force attestation, the family having moved to Epsom from London after 1901. A later reference in 1914 give the family address as 4 Nonsuch Cottages. James father and mother died in 1914 and 1915 respectively which accounts for 2 of those Epsom burials. James also had five brothers, all of whom are probably buried locally.
               Henry Collis living at 6 Linton's Lane in1928 may well be James brother, and the E. M. Collis at 2 Linton's Lane in 1956 may be Henry's widow.
               The James Collis at 29 Adelphi Road could be my great-grandfather (but he would have been in his seventies by then), which could be the reason that the family moved from London to Epsom.
               My grandfather, James, moved into 112 Lower Court Road on his marriage at the end of World War 1.
                I have lots of loose ends which I am finding difficult to tie together. However, the photographs will all be useful, some immediately and, hopefully, the others when more information comes to light.
   My email address is
                                    (*)
                  Many thanks,
                              Regards,
                                               James

Moderator Comment: email address removed in accordance with Rootschat policies. Please exchange this information on the personal message system

Offline kittywomble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 May 11 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am fascinated by your posts - I live at 2 Portland Place in Epsom (possibly formerly 1 Nonsuch Cottages) and would love to see any photographs or information you may have on record.

Please do contact me with details. I would really appreciate knowing more about the history of my little cottage!

Many thanks,

Katherine

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Katherine

Come and visit us at the Local History Centre in Bourne Hall Library.  Opening times etc are below:

http://www.epsomandewellhistoryexplorer.org.uk/EpsomHistoryCentre.html

Brian

Offline kittywomble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brian, I'd love to.

Will have to be on a Saturday so I'll make an appointment.

If I explain what I'm looking for, can someone do a bit of research for me? Or do I need to do that when I visit?

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Katherine

Send us an email with what you are looking for and we will take it from there. The email address is on the website.

Brian

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 June 11 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Katherine.

I am glad to see Brian is looking after you so well. I am afraid that I have no information that I can pass on to you beyond the fact that my grandfather lived at that address'

Sorry I can't help, but you can't go wrong if you follow Brian's advice.

Regards,
Scobie