Author Topic: JEM (or JOHN) MEMERY m Annie Andrews  (Read 12744 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: JEM (or JOHN) MEMERY m Annie Andrews
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 13:08 BST (UK) »

Put ""memery" and "dublin" into search boxes and 10 results come up.

and all of them in Ringsend/Irishtown..  :D

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all so far - I can see I'm going to be busy tonight....
LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

PRICE, ALLEN, JONES, JACKSON - Gwersyllt and Wrexham

ANDREWS, DOWSE, MEMERY - Dublin, US, and Canada

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
just spotted that there are a few records on the IrishGenealogy website that have spelling (or transcription) variations - e.g. Memory, Memiry and possibly Membray

plenty of baptisms - but no marriages ...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Oaks and Acorns

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 16:14 BST (UK) »
The 1939-40 voters register has about 20 Memery's, many of them in Pembroke East. Some in Pembroke Cottages (Pigeon House Road) and some in Pembroke Cottages (Cambridge Road).

http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral/index.php

Dara.

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks - will look at.
LITTLE - Lancs, Cheshire. Dumbarton, Dublin and Glasgow - and South Africa. Also Canada

Offline roswil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 September 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
I have just found out my  grandmother Mary Purcell lived in 25 Pigeon House Road with the Memery family - she was the sister in law. She married a trawlerman Richard Wright from Fleetwood in 1913 & took Matilda Memery her niece to live with her/ them in Fleetwood around 1925. My grandmother mentioned a relationship with the Dalton family who also lived in the same Road. I remember a Mervyn Dalton visiting her in Fleetwood.

Wonder if we're related?

Offline little alison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 September 11 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hello, roswil.  – Yes I expect we are distantly related. My grandmother’s sister Annie Andrews married Jem (James not John) Memery and lived  ‘in poor circumstances in Pigeon House Road, Ringsend, on the dockfront of Dublin. There she brought up a family of ten children, about fifteen years range in their ages, on the uncertain wages of a seaman, until the older ones were able to give some support.’. (from my Uncle Fred.)
Only I don’t know what number she lived at!
I can’t place Matilda Memery, except in that one census. There seem to be an awful lot of Memerys and they intermarried with Andrews and Rowdens and Littles. I’ve recently been trying to sort out a tree, but I haven’t got very far.
In the 1939 Electors List (link earlier in this thread) there’s a Brigid Memery at 25 Pigeon House Road with Josephine and Samuel, and a Christina Purcell at no 7.

My ggrandfather lived at 6, Pigeon House Road from 1870 to 1896. His son Alexander was married from this address.

Someone I am now looking for:
Annie Andrews’ grandfather was John Andrews, a pawnbroker. He (according to family story) married a Scot called Watson, and indeed ‘Watson’ occurs twice in the next two generations as a middle name. I can find no marriage and I don’t know his birth date or where he came from – most probably Ireland, I’m not even sure of that…I’d really like to take this a bit further back.
He had at least six children – Adelaide, Arthur, Frederick, Nathaniel, John and Eva, most of whom I know quite a bit about by now. Frederick my ggrandfather and his wife Anne are the only ggrandparents who I don’t have a photo of, though.

I hope you can get further with your searches, roswil…………..Alison.

Offline Graeme Dunne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 December 15 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have recently been given a copy of an old 1868 photograph of the wedding of Arthur Andrews to Elizabeth Dunne in Rathgar Dublin 24 Jun 1868.  Elizabeth gave birth to a son William Nathaniel Andrews in Jan 1873 and then Elizabeth passed away in Feb 1873. I noticed in the 1901 census that William Nathaniel Andrews was living with his two Aunts, Adelaide and Eva Elizabeth. Adelaide and William were listed as Pawnbrokers and Eva a music scholar. By 1911 census it appears that Adelaide had passed away, William was married with two sons, John James and Arthur George Andrews. William was working in a clothier business and Eva was a music professor. The photograph is an old painted photo and apart from Arthur Andrews his two sisters Adelaide and Eva are also in it. My link is via Elizabeth Dunne. Any other information relating to the Andrews/Dunne and connecting families would be really appreciated.