Author Topic: John Wilfred Hughes church organist/music teacher  (Read 11320 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
John Wilfred Hughes church organist/music teacher
« on: Tuesday 11 May 10 11:56 BST (UK) »
Do any of these details ring any bells with anybody - I have all census and BMD info thank you - I'm looking for more info re: his later life in the IOM

John Wilfred Hughes b 1894 Liverpool parents James Hughes & Jemima Kelsall

John married Susannah Peover 20.2. 1918 in Liverpool and had 2 children in Liverpool before moving to the IOM and having 2 more children

He then left Susannah for another woman.  Susannah returned to Liverpool with their 4 children and died in 1981.  Susannah never re-married and there was no known divorce pre-1955.

I have just received the death cert for John Wilfred Hughes who died in Rushen on 20.11.1955 aged 61 at Riversdale, Athol Park, Port Erin.  His occupation is shown as church organist and music teacher

M J Kinvig - cousin reported the death - his/her address was Seacliff, Spaldrick, Port Erin
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline fletcherchristian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Wilfred Hughes church organist/music teacher
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 17:48 BST (UK) »
Dear CaroleW,

I have been having a look at this fella for some friends of friends from Oz- decendents of his and Susannah's marriage I believe. Did you get any more on him?

Thanks.
Fletch.x

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Wilfred Hughes
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 June 13 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I've been away hence delay in replying

There were 2 John Wilfred (Wilfrid) Hughes born in 1893 and 1894 respectively.

1893 birth is the John Wilfrid born Liverpool with parents James & Jemima nee Kelsall

1894 birth was born in Seacombe (Cheshire) and is the one who died in 1955.  He is on the IOM 1901 and 1911 censuses with parents John & Alice.  His 1911 occ is "Joiner".  I don't think that JW Hughes married but cannot be certain.

I am still none the wiser about the John Wilfred Hughes who married Susannah Peover.  He was my friends paternal grandfather and apart from knowing he left his family to live with another woman (name unknown) nobody seems to know what happened to him

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 June 13 22:56 BST (UK) »
www.imuseum.im has this marriage:

23rd April 1924
Rushen parish
John Wilfrid Hughes, bachelor, father John Hughes
Catherine Jane Moore, spinster, father John Moore
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 June 13 23:05 BST (UK) »
That's the clincher then.  Definitely not the JW I'm looking for

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 June 13 20:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Both,

Many thanks for the information supplied. Am I right Carole, in thinking that the John Wilfred that you are interested in WAS married to Susanna Peaover and WAS the child of James and Jemima? Is this information from a marriage certificate or from a family history?

The reason I am asking is that the lady I am helping is descended from Susanna and John Wilfred. It does seem they had children whilst living on the island, but are we  now looking for his life somewhere else other than the Isle of Man? I have him working for the Alderney dairy Company as an accountant when one of his sons was born in Douglas.

We should at some point try to work out whether we are helping the same person or relatives.

Thanks,

Fletch
Fletch.x

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 June 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have today been in touch with my friend who has confirmed that she is aware of the Australian connection via her father (Ernest) older brother Albert as she passed the research I did for her to her cousin who is Albert's middle daughter (name begins with L and she is coming to England in August.)  I did both the Hughes and Peover sides of the family.

My friend bought a copy of the 1918 marriage cert which gave his fathers name and occupation.  This tied in with census info.  I also vaguely remember that another family member knew that his mother was Jemima Kelsall

Nothing is known of the woman he left his family for as that would have been an avenue to explore.  It is not known whether he remained in the IOM or returned to Liverpool at a later date.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 19:19 BST (UK) »
Dear Carole,

Many thanks for that. It seems your friend is my friend of a friends cousin and the info that she gave me came via you.

I will keep looking for things on their time on the Isle of Man  ( as I live here)but will now disregard our music teacher JW with a father called John. You have saved me a wild goose chase.

Many Thanks,

Fletch.
Fletch.x

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you do find anything about him - please either pm me or reply on this post as I would love to know where he went (or who he went with)