Author Topic: Who are George Duthie's parents?  (Read 5790 times)

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who are George Duthie's parents?
« on: Tuesday 11 May 10 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have hit a bit of a brickwall and hoping someone will be able to help please?

I am looking for the parents of George Duthie (father of Adam Duthie - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,455378.0.html) who was married to Jean Cruickshank in Glenbervie  15 June 1794.

I have checked the IGI and there are a few possibilities but as I am not familiar with the area and am relying on old maps I am not sure which may be possible.

The only information that I have which I know to be true is that George had a brother James as James is witness to some of George Duthie and Jean Cruickshank and he is specifically referred to as "his brother James" on the OPR.

One possibility I have come up with are John Duthie and Elspeth Still as they had a George and a James, George being born in Maryculter 1753.

However it may be possible that they were born outside of Kincardine, in which case I should perhaps raise this point on the general board?

Thanks in anticipation ...

Offline junev

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Who are George Duthie's parents?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 16:22 BST (UK) »
hi,

A couple of things. Would he have been 41 when he married as there are other births on the Family Search Pilot site (1763 to George & Helen Milne in Nigg for example)

Also the names of the children given do not come in line with the traditional naming pattern and though I can't see the names (no credits left) on the Scotlands People site it comes up with 8 possible births for a Duthie/Cruickshank combination in Kincardine. My understanding on names is the first born son was usually named after his paternal grandfather.

Junev

Offline baltibluebird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Junev

Thanks for your help.

Yes, he could possibly have been married before and I have often wondered that.....

All the children I have found with Jean Cruickshank are listed in my previous msg (ref above) which are taken from the IGI and SP (some are listed twice on SP for some reason).

I take your point precisely that it follows no naming pattern, which makes me think that this is not the correct parentage (John Duthie and Elspeth Still)

I did find a burial entry for George Duthie in Fordoun, dated 26 Feb 1821 aged 75, (no residence to help) but then this may not be him either  :o

Regarding George Duthie & Jean Cruickshank's children, I believe Adam (1795)  was named after Jean Cruickshank's father, Adam. but then I may be wrong on this too  :o

So you can see my problem and I dont think I will be able to go back any further on my Duthie tree which is a shame because I was doing so well.

Westwood1

Offline yrowell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 May 10 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
I come from Australia and are looking for any assistance with finding George Duthie married to Isabella Mathieson George came from Fetteressco Kincardinshire and also lived at Aberdeen he was a Mason Other names associated with this person is Christina Smith and Christina Nicholson Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very new to this  The Duthies then went to australia and settled in Ararat Victoria
Thanks
Yvonne