Author Topic: Cunnington/Wakelings in Oakham  (Read 7880 times)

Offline tillytrotter2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cunnington/Wakelings in Oakham
« on: Tuesday 11 May 10 22:29 BST (UK) »
I am still trying to find any photos of my grandad whom I never met.His name was John Henry Cunnington b.1887 died 1915 only 27 yrs old.My dad (his son)was 1yr old.He lived in Finkey Lane/street Oakham.His fathers name was Thomas mother Frances when Thomas died she remarried William Wakeling.Any info appreciated.Thanks Tilly

Offline pmwhf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cunnington/Wakelings in Oakham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 March 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
hi Tilly

found ur message when i was searching for Finkey Lane on google because..... my great grandad was Joseph Cross Cunnington (b 1880) between Thomas Cunnington and Frances Susannah. He is your relative's brother.

thomas was married (his wife died in 1873) before he met Frances. You are right in that she then quickly married William once Thomas died. Thomas was 27 years older than Frances. She had a baby when she was 20 and unmarried (annie Maria)

I dont have photos but I do have census records if you want. Also the cunnington family is part of my family tree which is accessible on the net - if you let me have ur email I can set you up.

Joseph married in 1907 and his first child was my nana - a wonderful lady. He died in 1914. They settled in middlesbrough

regards
Paul

Offline tillytrotter2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 March 12 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul
Thankyou for your interest.
Bit surprised to get any feedback as it is almost 2 yrs since last message.
So Annie M was nt Thomas's but Joseph Cross was is that right.
I have a copy of the marraige cert of Thomas and Frances S dated 1880 Thomas reckons he is 46 but the census has him down as 49 (naughty LOL)
Thanks again
Tilly

Offline pmwhf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 March 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
Yip, Annie was the product of an unmarried relationship!

When Joseph cunnington married in 1907 his wife was called Mary. They had my nana Agnes in 1910 and Maurice in 1914 (died 1936). Joseph died in 1914 but....... My nana had "1 brother and 1 sister" who were born in 1918 and 1920. Mary met someone to have children but not to marry or put on the birth cert. times don't change! It does seem that the cunningtons are the "interesting" part of my wider family

Paul

Offline tillytrotter2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 March 12 21:39 BST (UK) »
My grandfather was John Henry Cunnington (Joseph Cross Cunningtons brother as you have recently informed me)His wife gave birth to my dad John Harley Cunnington in Dec 1914,unfortunately John Henry died next year in 1915 of stomach cancer. What did Joseph die of do you know?
Thanks Tilly

Offline pmwhf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 March 12 22:29 BST (UK) »
sorry Tilly, dont know. he was only 34 though and his widow was just 31.

P

Offline jbarnard3

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 June 20 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi. Its been a few years but iv found this string of messages. I am also a descendant of Thomas Cunnington. Thomas and Charlotte Pettifor had a daughter called Ann Marie Cunnington. Ann Marie had a son called Thomas Cunnington who married Susan Hibbit. They had a son William Henry Cunnington in 1900 who is my Great Grandfather. Unfortunately Susan passed away in 1901.
The boarding house on Finkey lane appears numerous times in the census 1851 upwards. Thomas lived there with his aunt Ann Fox (Petifor)