Author Topic: help with John Moyses of Whittlesey  (Read 3308 times)

Offline bookendart

• RootsChat Member
  • Grannie & Grandad
    • View Profile
help with John Moyses of Whittlesey
« on: Thursday 13 May 10 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Everybody :-)

I'm looking for the birth and death of John Moyses, who married Mary Bonfield in Whittlesey in 1804.  He was 15 when he got married, putting his birth year at around 1789, and I believe he died sometime after 1830.

Does anyone with access to the Whittlesey parish registers see him in there??

thanks so much for the help  :)
-Claire
Collins, Turner, Moyses, Curtis, Collcutt, Okey, Baker, Meadows, Peach, Denchfield, Purchas

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: help with John Moyses of Whittlesey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 May 10 05:06 BST (UK) »
There's a burial index 1801-37 on the Cambs FHS site at http://www.cfhs.org.uk/Search.html but I can't see him. If he died after 1837 his death should be registered but I can't see an obvious candidate.

However looking at the baptism index on the same site it appears as though they only baptised two children at Whittlesey, the second one being in 1810.

What else do you know about them? Without a baptism or burial I'm intrigued as to how you know John was only fifteen when he married, as no age was given on the marriage entry. What's the source for this?

An Ann Moyses age 44 of Peterborough Town End (Northants) was buried in Whittlesey in 1830. Might she be the wife of John?

Who appears to be their son Thomas was living at Thorney in 1851. Both Whittlesey and Thorney are only a couple of miles east of Peterborough.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline bookendart

• RootsChat Member
  • Grannie & Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 May 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
Well i've spent a frustrating hour looking through my files trying to find my source on John and Mary's marriage and the only one I have is Boyd's Marriage Index which doesnt' have that level of detail  >:(  I have over 600 sources in my database and can't believe I didn't record this one, but nothing turned up in a google search either, so I'm going to have to chock it up to a data entry mistake on my part.

I have the marriage date as 15 Oct 1804 and the witnesses were Thomas and Ann Bonfield, which leads me to believe  someone emailed me the info but I can't for the life of me remember who or when  :-\

The name Moyses turns up in the Cambridgeshire baptism index as Moises and occasionally Moyser, and I was able to find that John and Mary had four children together, the last being Alice in 1812, who died a few years later in 1826.  After Mary died in 1820, John married Ann Springfield in 1821 (per Boyd's index) so yes, that Ann Moyses burial you found in 1830 was John's wife. John and Ann had three children together.

There is a burial record for a John Moyses in Thorney Abbey in 1829 which is only four miles from Whittlesey so it could be him.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it :-) if I come across my source for the mysterious info on John and Mary's marriage I'll post it here.

Cheers
-Claire
Collins, Turner, Moyses, Curtis, Collcutt, Okey, Baker, Meadows, Peach, Denchfield, Purchas

Offline ivanidea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 May 10 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Claire

I have the marriage date as 15 Oct 1804 and the witnesses were Thomas and Ann Bonfield, which leads me to believe  someone emailed me the info but I can't for the life of me remember who or when 

It seems to have come from one of your other Rootschat threads:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,432335.0.html

Message #8 from Selina who could perhaps advise the source.

Ivan

Offline bookendart

• RootsChat Member
  • Grannie & Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 May 10 14:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ivan.  that's the reference i was looking for :-) but still, doesn't mention anything about John being 15. Maybe I just dreamed that  :-\ 

thanks for the help
-Claire

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 May 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My reply came from transcription of Parish Register.  No ages were mentioned.

There was a bapt at Whittlesey St. Mary 11 June 1783 of a John Moises of Wm and Tabitha.

Selina

Offline bookendart

• RootsChat Member
  • Grannie & Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 May 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Selina :-)  Yeah, I have no clue where i came up with the age of 15...it makes a lot more sense that John was born in 1784, as that would put him at the same age as his first wife Mary. I'll start researching this further to try to determine if he's my John.

Do you see any other children of William and Tabitha born or buried around that time?

I really appreciate your help, as always :-) :-)

-claire

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 May 10 21:20 BST (UK) »
There is also a burial, same parish, 4 January 1851 of a John Moyses aged 68 of Scaldegate (P. Clerk).  So that gives a birth date of 1783 which may match up.

Will have a look for more but may be tomorrow.

Selina

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 May 10 21:54 BST (UK) »
I have only found bapts to Wm and Tabitha, same parish, of:

Susan   18 Jan 1784 paid 3d tax
Wm   30 December 1786
Eliz   5 June 1789

Selina