Author Topic: Ablitt Family Mystery  (Read 11091 times)

Offline Quido

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ablitt Family Mystery
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 09:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the posting Karrienz.
We're having a great summer here at the moment. Could be a good time for us all to visit Lavenham.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
Form an orderly queue!
Just a few at a time please people  ;D
You are all very welcome but it is a small village.

If you are coming to Lavenham, you are welcome to give me a shout as I live in the next village.

There are audio guides available from The Pharmacy, across the road from The Swan (moved to the other side of the High Street a couple of years ago Karen).  Mr Jay at The Pharmacy noticed that there were no audio guides and did something about it.
TIC is at the top of Lady Lane, just around the corner from The Guildhall.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline karrienz

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Grandma went to school
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pat...I'll keep it in mind to come see you when I visit...it'll be a year or so but I've saved $45.16 so far for my trip 'home' to London....my kids are grown up a lot now so I can plan for my adventures travelling in future.

The closest thing I've found to a 'village' here in Christchurch NZ is a small town - Rangiora - it has a High Street and lots of lovely old shops - it's about 30 mins north from town and I worked there 5 months over summer...really enjoyed the small and close knit atmosphere.  It's growing though and people are moving there from town to raise their families.  A lot of early settlers to Canterbury went out that way to farm and start the township so it still has a lot of late 1800's to early 1900's buildings - it would have been like a wild west town to start with.  When I walk amongst those old buildings I always think of the craftsmen who came out from England and put their heart & soul into the beautiful wrought iron work and stone and brickwork.  Their legacy lives on for us all to enjoy.  Christchurch city has some fine architecture too.

That ancestor of yours who went to Boston didn't get on a ship to go somewhere else did he?  I'm finding stories here on NZ websites where that happened a lot.  People going somewhere from UK and Europe and then moving on.  That's one place I would like to visit, Boston and surrounding towns in the NE USA.

oh well got to go earn another few $$$ to save up!

Karen
Richmond & Mortlake, Surrey, England:
HOMAN/BRADSHAW
Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambs/London/Essex/Surrey/Kent, England:
TITSHALL/GOOCH
Invercargill, New Zealand:
RICHMOND/MCARTHUR