Author Topic: Shropshire Archives help please  (Read 6117 times)

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Shropshire Archives help please
« on: Friday 14 May 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
 :)

Hi,

I am trying to find out what church my ggg grandfather may have been baptised in in the Welshampton area 1793, I have found his baptism on the IGI but just says Welshampton, his name is James Cooper Clarke, and that is all I know about his baptism.  I have him in the 1841 and 51 census living in Old Crane Chester with his wife Martha (nee Roberts) and she was born in Overton Flintshire.

Any help most appreciated. (they would have been CofE)

Cheers

Jan
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire Archives help please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 May 10 12:05 BST (UK) »
According to this the Welsh Hampton Parish Church is St Michael:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SAL/HamptonWelsh/index.html

Um, or maybe not. This says St Michael and All Angels was consecrated in 1863  :-\:
http://www.cockshuttchurch.org.uk/welshampton.html

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 May 10 12:22 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D

Thanks very much for that , it makes sense, James was a lock keeper I have just received  two of his sons baptism records they were both baptised in Overton Flintshire in 1838 although they were both born before 1838 but no date of birth on the baptisms, I knew James was a lock keeper, but not sure who he worked for.

I have no idea where James and Martha married, I have had no luck finding a marriage for them anywhere, but it would have been before registration began.  I will make a note of the church name is Shropshire and make further enquires.

Cheers

Jan

Offline RobbieJax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 03:29 BST (UK) »
I know this is really old but I am new here. I am researching the same James Cooper Clarke.

jan44 (I hope you are still around), James Cooper was my ggg grandfather also. My gg grandfather was Thomas, William's brother. I found John Cooper Clarke's parents, John Clarke and Jane Cooper living in Welshampton until their deaths in 1830's.

Jan, have you visited Welshampton. Did you find anything there. Trying to get my brother to make a road trip (I live in the US) but I will head him off if there is no value. Thanks

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 07:05 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat RobbieJax. Jan hasn't logged in to rootschat for over a year, but I hope she receives notification of your reply.  :)

PS. I have sent Jan a Personal Message to tell her that you have contributed to her thread.

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 07:41 BST (UK) »
 :)

Thanks for contacting me, really appreciate it.

I haven't managed to get to Shropshire yet, not had much time.

Thomas's marriage to Sarah Ann Youd was at St Peter's (Church St) Liverpool (no longer there), I could try and get to Liverpool RO to look this up.

I have most of the info for William Bishop Clarke (Thomas's brother)  William and his brother Timothy both attended The Bluecoat School in Chester, the archives are at Chester RO, yet to pay a visit to aswell.

Jan

Offline RobbieJax

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 13:26 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, thank you for the welcome and for reaching out to Jan for me.

Jan, thank you for the information. I have family in the Chester area so I will have them check out the RO and the Old Crane area where they lived in 1851. Do you know when William and Thomas moved to Liverpool.  I haven't done any research there yet. My great grandfather, also James Cooper Clarke, moved from Liverpool to Sunderland around 1890.

Did the families of Timothy, William and Thomas stay in the Liverpool area. I have vague recollections of visiting family in Birkenhead around 1960.

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Robbie,

Yes the family stayed in the Toxteth area, I don't know when they arrived in Liverpool but William married in St Philips Liverpool to Ellen Parr 1858, their mum Martha was a widow and living with boarders in 1861, the son Edward died in I think 1858, he had taken over from his dad as a lock-keeper, I found out that he is buried in Overleigh cem in Chester.  I am not sure when James Cooper Clarke died, I think his death reg could be just James or even just Cooper Clarke.

I have been researching the Clarke's for a number of years with the help of my dad, uncle and cousin. I thought that the boys may have been baptised in Chester, but I found out that they were baptised in Flintshire, I did find James and Martha's marriage in St Mary's Chester, luckily enough it is available to view on line on FindMyPast website, not sure if I can mention the full name of the site on here. 

Most of the Clarke's are still in the Liverpool area, as I am too.

I did contact Chester RO for the info about William & Timothy's records at the Bluecoat school, but as yet I have not purchased the info.

Edwards details from Overleigh cem if you click on the highlighted surname.

http://archivedatabases.cheshire.gov.uk/cms/LacOverleighCemetery/results.aspx?Surname=clarke&Firstname=edward&GraveNumber=&YearOfDeathFrom=1856&YearOfDeathTo=1858&AgeRange=
Regards

Jan

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 18:41 BST (UK) »

Robbie,

What makes me think that James Cooper Clarke was buried as Cooper Clarke (late 1851) is this info on the Overleigh cem reg, same grave number as Edward.

Cooper Clarke
Description: Lock
Address: Crane St
Parish: Holy Trinity
Date of Death: 13/10/1851
Date of Burial: 16/10/1851
Grave Number: R503
Page Number: 42
Consecrated: True
Cemetery Register: DCE/1/1
Running Number: 128