Author Topic: Shropshire Archives help please  (Read 6115 times)

Offline RobbieJax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire Archives help please
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 April 15 04:02 BST (UK) »
Jan,
Thank you so much. That was all very helpful. I had been struggling to find James Cooper Clarke's death. And I do use findmypast so I will look up his marriage certificate there.

My aunt (a Clarke) passed away earlier this year and that is what got me motivated to start this journey. But now I realize she was my last real resource. Some stuff, I can look up. But what made them move from Liverpool to Sunderland, I guess I will never find out now. I hope they had a good reason to curse me to be a Sunderland supporter when I could have grown up watching European cups in Liverpool  ::)

Again, thanks. I will stay in touch, Robbie

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 April 15 07:06 BST (UK) »

Hi Robbie,

I think I have Thomas's birth cert, I was curious what Martha's maiden name was so ordered Thomas's birth cert to find out.  James Cooper Clarke and Martha Roberts married at St Mary on the Hill Chester  1835.  Martha's father was Timothy Roberts, I think he is living next door to them on the 1851, I have photo's of Timothy Roberts' headstone, St Mary's Flintshire, a friend of mine went there and took the photo's for me.

I have a lot of info to exchange with you, Timothy Clarke married Hannah Barlow in Liverpool, one of his children was Edmund Cooper Clarke. 

Keep in touch Robbie.

Jan
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 April 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D

Robbie,

I have found John Clarke's marriage to Jane Cooper on FindMyPast, it was at Meole Brace Shropshire 29th December 1781, not much info on the actual image, but the name of the vicar John Bather.

Chuffed to bits now, been looking for that for ages. I was previously told that the marriage was in 1791, but looking at the actual parish record it is 1781.

Jan

Offline RobbieJax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 April 15 01:04 BST (UK) »
I did find that marriage of John Clarke and Jane Cooper. I also found on findmypast the deaths of both of them in Welshampton. And also, the baptism of Jane Cooper in Dudleston, Shropshire. Let me know if you don't have those and I will give you the dates. I feel like a kid trading baseball cards here (OK, I have been in the US too long, whatever the English equivalent is).

My brother travelled to Welshampton yesterday to search the cemetery but all of the old stones were unreadable. Really disappointing. I had great hopes for that.

Have you seen this on familysearch:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:3QJH-8DP
I don't know if you need a log on but it is free and worth it. I think this was posted by wrjones who I see posts on here. He has done extensive work on Martha Roberts side. I need to reach out to him and see what his connection is to our family

Offline jan44

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 April 15 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Robbie,

Yes I found the same as you with regards to the baptisms and burials of John and Jane.

I have been in contact with Robert Jones (the poster on here) the connection with Martha is I think his gg or ggg grandmother was Martha's sister.  I do use familysearch often, but I hadn't seen that tree on there.

I also use ancestry and found a lot of the Clarke's baptisms and marriages on there, there were quite a few William Bishop Clarke's, sons of different members of the family, my g grandad was Edward Clarke son of William (Bishop) Clarke and Ellen Parr, Edward married Catherine Hughes, one of their sons was William Bishop Clarke, but he died in infancy 1901 11 months old, he had a twin sister Ellen, who also sadly died in infancy I think she was 2 months old.  Toxteth Cemetery burials are online, and I found a lot of the Clarke's buried there.  William (Bishop) Clarke died October 1895 but only registered as William Clarke, I have his death cert, he died in the Southern hospital, from lockjaw, he is buried in Toxteth cem. Addresses for them are either 74 or 76 South Street Toxteth (Edwards family lived there).

Plot and grave no c1 56 (sadly no headstone)

Jan