Author Topic: assistance appreciated on ancestry roots in Scotland location visit  (Read 4925 times)

Offline chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morning or Evening as the case may be.

Am very much a new learner within this very promising facility.

I am planning a visit to Scotland to try and track down details and ancestry of Andrew ROSS and Christian ROSS (nee Chisholm) who departed Cromarty, Scotland in 1836 and migrated to Australia. Andrew's parents were Alexander and Janet ROSS from Thurso I believe.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who could offer advice on where to centre my visit and who to contact to obtain historical information.

Chisholm

Offline chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
assistance appreciated on ancestry roots in Scotland location visit
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 May 10 06:13 BST (UK) »
I am travelling to Scotland late October '10 from Australia and plan on visiting the earliest known location of my ancestors, Alexander and Janet (nee McDonald) ROSS of Thursto. I understand that a son, Andrew ROSS and wife Christian (nee Chisholm), emigrated from Cromarty on the vessel "Asia" and arrived in Sydney Australia in 1836.

Would appreciate any advice on what office or agency I should contact to gather information associated with any existing family links still resident in the Thursto region. 

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: assistance appreciated on ancestry roots in Scotland location visit
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 May 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Chisholm

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

I've merged your two posts, as they had got into the wrong places!

I hope you're enjoying planning for your trip - is it Thurso you're visiting?  I haven't made it that far north yet, myself!

I hope someone can help you with Thurso information but you will also find lots of archived material in Edinburgh - is this also part of your trip?

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 May 10 07:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Arranroots (?), and I appreciate the advice.

Yes it will be Thurso (bit of a typo back there) with an ETA somewhere late October. I will be driving and have a pretty loose itinerary so can certainly route via Edinburgh. Can I stretch the friendship a little and ask where/who in Edinburgh I should set my sights.

Thanks a lot and kind regards,

Chisholm

Offline Wred

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 May 10 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Chisholm

Here are a number of ideas for homework before heading North.

Inverness has just opened a new archive at:-

The Highland Council Archive Service
Highland Archive and Registration Centre
Bught Road
Inverness
IV3 5SS

I believe this covers Ross and Cromarty.

Caithness is served by the North Highland Archive at Wick.

http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/0F21430E-C020-44BC-9966-09C5FAF80622/0/nhaleaflet.pdf
 The staff and volunteers are exceptional and are happy to talk over the phone on what help they can offer. If you were coming in the summer I would advise booking as the search room  is very small.
They hold census and parish regs on film amongst other items.

Another good site is www.Caithness.org for all things over the Ord.

You could try http://www.caithness.org/community/museums/nha/index.htm with family history button.

The Caithness Family History Society page is
http://www.caithnessfhs.org.uk/index.htm
They would be the best to contact before a visit as society also hold records.
CFHS have their own room in Thurso Town Hall ( now Horizons) and this should be manned Wed and Sat afternoons but you should check before arriving.

Thurso Library in Davidsons Lane holds film of the Caithness parish registers.

I do have a problem with your ROSS family though. Caithness is well served on family search web site and I cannot find this family in Caithness. I found the marriage of Andrew ROSS and Christian CHISHOLM at Dingwall in1819 and was wondering were the Thurso information came from.

Offline chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 04:43 BST (UK) »
G'day Wred and many thanks for your very helpful reply. Regarding your problem with Andrew ROSS' parents, I picked that up during a trawl through the forum. EMJAYE wrote that Andrew ROSS was born at Thurso during 1799 +/- from parents Alexander and Janet McDonald so I assumed (?) that this was the root of the family.

Not sure how to cc. EMJAYE in this ROOTS system (still learning) so if there's anyway you could forward this, he/she may reply to me with further information. From her comments and the family records I have I suspect we are related.

Again, thanks for your assistance and I'll work through your suggestions.

Regards,

Chisholm 

Offline Wred

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 01:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Chisholm

Find EMJAYE name on a post (try search) click on name and her personal page will come up . At the bottom click on post personal message and away you go. You need to have posted 3 messages first which I think you have just done.

Still looking for your Ross family in Caithness but no luck yet

Offline chisholm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 07:03 BST (UK) »
Great , really appreciate your time in helping the uninitiated. I have sent off a note to emjaye and will see what happens. Don't wish to burden you with my travail but if you do see anything on the Ross/Caithness issue I'd be really chuffed to hear.
Cheers.