Author Topic: Lenanmarla  (Read 6381 times)

Offline valkane2003

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lenanmarla
« on: Saturday 15 May 10 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all I just have a geographical query for you...

Is/was Lenamarla (? spelling) in the Creggs area in Roscommon or Galway? Im specifically looking at the 1911 census and the Curley family. I was always led to believe that my family came from Creggs in Roscommon but the people I suspect are my relations are listed as being from Galway. ???

Help!

Offline johnros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lenanmarla
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 10 08:42 BST (UK) »
Lenanamalla townland is in Tisrara civil parish and Ballyforan (aka) Dysart-Tisara Catholic parish.
For the 1850 – 1881 Catholic parish records see LDS film 989755, or the LDS British Isles Vital records Index (BIVRI) set of CDs.

For more details on Lenanamalla townland I suggest you visit the links at

http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=51430

For some County Roscommon Civil and Catholic parish maps visit
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/LR_maps.html

If you provide names and dates I will check the Ballyforan RC records for Curley.

Offline valkane2003

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 May 10 10:30 BST (UK) »

If you provide names and dates I will check the Ballyforan RC records for Curley.

Sorry Im only getting back to you now Johnros I have been neglecting my Roscommon heritage for the past few weeks as it was annoying the life and soul out of me!!

I have no definite dates for any of the Curley's which is frustrating but its a work in progress so I may take you up on that offer in the near future if thats ok!!

Offline tcahan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
My grandmother came from Lenamarla. Her name was Annie O'Neill. She lives across the street from the Curley. When I visited the O'Neill in the 1970, there was a Willie Curley living across the street. he was died when I return in the 1980. The house was closed up at the time. Also, Willie emigrated to US with my great uncle Michael O'Neill. He return to Ireland and married.

Lenamarla is in Galway but their church is in Roscommon. The church was Kilbegnet Church. There is two graveyards. The Old Kilbegnet Cemetery. and New Kilbegnet Cemetery. The Curley are probable buried there. Creggs in Galway. They were right on the border The church records are in Roscommon and government documents would be in Galway. Hope this helps

Offline valkane2003

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 17 09:46 BST (UK) »
Wow tcahan. Thanks so much. My mum was quite young when she met Willie so knows very little about him.  I never knew he emigrated or married! Both new parts of the puzzle.

Offline tcahan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
 I am glad I was helpful. I wroe that quickly and was trying to get a lot of information out. I have some detail information you may like.

Wille Curley was about the same age as my great uncle Michael O'Neill. There were friends and companion. My Uncle was a hell raiser and like to gamble and drink. There another companion that went with them when they emigrated around 1915. I heard the did this on the spur of the moment with no planning. My uncle was born in 1895. Willie probable was born around that time frame. When they got to America Uncle Mike left them to go to Baltimore , Md. His brother and sisters were there. He later join the US Army and fought in France. He return to Baltimore and lied there until 1988.

I meet Wille when I visited Lenamarla with my parents in 1977. He came over to the O'Neill and had a long talk with my father.  We have a picture of him taken at the time. Pat O'Neill who own the farm told me Wille wife died a few years earlier. He lived alone on the farm until he died. I have no other information on his marriage or if he had any children. As I mention I return in 1982 and Wille had died and the house was closed. When I return in 1995 the house was still closed. Wille probable buried in New Kilbegnet Cemetery.

The 1954 Griffin Land Survey has a Thomas Curly owning a farm in Lenamarla.

My family no longer living in Lenamarla, they all died off.

If I find any other information I let you know. If you have question I may be able to help. Thanks

Offline Banana12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 February 20 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
I've recently started to research the Curley family.
I am trying to trace a man who may have been my grandmother's father.
DNA results on ancestry, and after eliminating matches that have been confirmed as being from other branches, the remaining larger trees all throw up the name Curley. Mostly from Irish emigrants who moved to Australia. Some trees go back to show Curleys being from Roscommon in Ireland.
I came across this thread today so I thought I'd ask if any of you would be willing to give me any info or point me in the right direction to where i may find answers.
A Willie Curley was mentioned and that he went to US and back. Would he have ever visited Bideford in north Devon around Jan 1914? That's around the time my grandmother was conceived.
Anyway, thanks for reading this far!
Devon:
Bond, Bennett, Hutchings, Sanders, Ayres, Moyse, Lamey, Boon

Sweden:
Fors, Svensson

Offline valkane2003

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 February 20 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Banana12

There were Curleys from the Roscommon/ Galway border and lots of branches of them in the area during the census of 1901 and 1911.

I would be Related to Willy through his brother whose daughter is my grandmother but know very little about him (my mum is the same other than to say she knew him and his sister as older members of the creggs community). I couldn’t say one way or the other as to whether he traveled to the UK at any time I’m afraid.

Offline Banana12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 February 20 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valkane
Thanks for the reply.
I’ve just found the Nat Archives of Ireland so will dig around for clues here.
Devon:
Bond, Bennett, Hutchings, Sanders, Ayres, Moyse, Lamey, Boon

Sweden:
Fors, Svensson