Author Topic: FISHER - Shropham  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
FISHER - Shropham
« on: Sunday 16 May 10 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have recently made a discovery on my Fisher branch in the village of Shropham, Norfolk, and was wondering if there is anyway I can try and puh the generations back further.

My direct ancestor Silvester Fisher was born c1747, and was baptised on January 3 1747 along with his sibling, Amy. I believe these to be base children as they are listed as being children of Mary FISHER.

There was also a Mary FISHER having a daugher Elizabeth baptised with no mention of a father, in October 1745, and also in 1750, for another daughter, Ann.

I cannot find Mary either after 1750 or before 1746. It may be I have not looked hard enough at the familysearchlabs collections for Shropham, or it could be the ever-fading handwriting the further back I try and go. I was wondering if anybody has any record of Mary at all, or anything that may pinpoint where she could have been from, or where she ended up.

Just to note...I have no idea on earth where the name Silvester has come from, but as far as I can see he was the only base son Mary gave birth to. Also, this Silvester went on to marry Ann Musk, sometime in the 1775-1782 period. They had their first two children in Beeston, Norfolk.

Thankyou for reading this message and any help undertaken in order to reply :)

Matt :)
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LucyD2

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FISHER - Shropham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 15:52 BST (UK) »
Matt,

I am in the process of researching my family, and would be very interested to share notes with you.  Silvester Fisher is my Great x5 Grandfather, and so any information that you have or advice you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.  It would also be interesting to see how we are related!

Regards  Lucy

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 June 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy,

Very intereting to see we share Silvester Fisher as a common ancestor! He is my 5th x gt grandfather too, we must be of a similar age! Also, welcome to rootschat, the most fantastic free source of family history help on the internet!

I descend through Silvester's son, John, born in 1791 in Shopham. He married Sarah Flatman in Sotterley, Suffolk, later moving to Wrentham. There they had a son, called Michael, in 1822.

From which line do you descend from Silvester?

Regards and thanks for getting in touch!

Matt.

Offline freddiefrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 August 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt and Lucy,
I came across your messages and this site by accident!! (Not great at finding my way round on computers LOL). Anyway, sorry i digress...I was trying to find out more about my 4th Gt Grandfather Sylvester but, like you I have drawn a blank. I can fill you in with details previous if you're interested. I was also descended through Sylvesters son John (1791) who was my 3rd Gt Grandfather marr to Sarah Flatman. Their daughter Eleanor (1837) was my 2nd Gt Grandmother - cannot find any evidence of marriage - but she had daughter Millicent (1868) marr William Kent they had daughter Dorothy (1904) who was my Grandmother. Hope this is of interest to you, I'm completely hooked now that I've started out all kinds of info.
Take care
 Caron :)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 August 15 19:03 BST (UK) »
HI Caron,

Thanks for getting in touch!

The Fisher family are quite difficult to trace past Sylvester - in fact the only ones I have managed to trace are his mother Mary Fisher who gave birth to him outside of wedlock, and one or two sister, the names of whom escape me at this moment in time.

I'm descended through John's son Michael Fisher (1822-1886) who married Maria Baker in Wrentham, Suffolk. I'd love to know what you have found so we can share information.

Regards,

Matt

PS - Getting hooked it the fun part...it's the not being able to put it down even for a day that's dangerous!

Offline freddiefrog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,
Pleased to hear from you. Sylvester and Ann Musk are definately hard to trace! Seem to spend hours trawling through the various bits of info and then not getting anywhere...frustrating lol.
Anyway I have found that John Fisher and Sarah Flatman had 11 children, one set of twins I think! But perhaps you can confirm either way, Louisa was born 9 May 1821 and only lived a few days and Michael (your descendant)? I have Sylvester's chn as Elizabeth 1782, Mary 1784, Michael 1787-1857, John 1791-1857 and Amy 1796-1829. I'm wondering if Ann Musk 1756-1833 and Sylvester married in Beeston-next-Milham, Norfolk as that's where their 1st two chn were born but drawn a blank there too! Sylvester's mother Mary had 4 chn, Elizabeth 1745, Amy 1747,Silvester and Ann 1750 but cannot find father for any of them!
I am having trouble finding some details for Michael's sister Eleanor 1837-1904 My 2nd Gt grandmther 1861 and 1871 census did not come up with anything for her, but I then found workhouses with that name and one same birth place...so if you have any info on her I would appreciate it. Bye for now.
Regards
Caron  :)