Author Topic: Ursula Dodds/William Wake  (Read 5529 times)

Offline jakezed

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ursula Dodds/William Wake
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 04:05 BST (UK) »
I have never posted a multiple reply to several posts, so I hope you can all read this.
First of all, sorry for the delay in sending replies, but computer broke down, and only got it back today!
So, my thanks to the following:- diddymiller, lizdb,wozzle,Quinlyn,Radcliff, and finally Barryd, I had no idea I'd get such a response!
First, diddymiller, that info about her at 17 , very interesting, gives me some idea what she was doing before she married, and a better feel about birthplace, all I could ever see was Mount on Census forms, and couldn't find it on a map!
To lizdb, no, but thanks to barryd below, it looks as though I wont have to, thank you Barry!
I am happy that this marriage was to my William Wake, as one of their four kids was my Grandfather, who was Joseph Dodds Wake.......proof to an amateur like me!
Wozzle, thank you for potentially finding Ursula's mum!
Radcliff, thanks, made my wife chuckle, as she's from Wylam!
Also gives me some idea about her siblings, do you think she was visiting her folks on census night, as she's called Wake you say, and we know she married in 1865?
Michael
Wake Durham & North Yorkshire.Charlton-Northumberland. Dodds-Durham.Jameson-Durham.
Johnson Durham.Manning-Durham,Suffolk & Essex.Marshall-Northumberland.Norman Yorkshire.Attey-Durham.Brewer-Devon.Chrystal-Berwickshire & Durham.Earle-Surrey,Hampshire,Devon & Durham.Fletcher-Durham.Gill-Durham.Haining Northumberland & Durham.Humes -Durham.Hunter- Durham.Thomas-Monmouth & Durham. Dobson- Durham. Noble - Northumberland and Durham.  Farquhar - Fife and Forfar. Lyon- Northumberland and Durham.

Offline jakezed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 04:06 BST (UK) »
Michael, thank you for taking the time to post the info about their wedding!
Kind regards to you all,
Michael
Wake Durham & North Yorkshire.Charlton-Northumberland. Dodds-Durham.Jameson-Durham.
Johnson Durham.Manning-Durham,Suffolk & Essex.Marshall-Northumberland.Norman Yorkshire.Attey-Durham.Brewer-Devon.Chrystal-Berwickshire & Durham.Earle-Surrey,Hampshire,Devon & Durham.Fletcher-Durham.Gill-Durham.Haining Northumberland & Durham.Humes -Durham.Hunter- Durham.Thomas-Monmouth & Durham. Dobson- Durham. Noble - Northumberland and Durham.  Farquhar - Fife and Forfar. Lyon- Northumberland and Durham.

Offline Quinlyn

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 May 10 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael,

You are very welcome to the post about the wedding.  I have had a great deal of help with my family tree, so it is nice to think that I can at least do my 'little' bit (I am a novice to all of this) for others.

Good luck with the rest of your research Michael.

Kind regards,
Michael

Offline jakezed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 May 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the message.
I'm happy that you've had so much help with your research, because I got into it so late, 60+ when almost all the players that could have helped have died! and all you have left, are vague memories of chats with parents who were too busy surviving to worry about where they'd come from!
It's even worse when you've moved 12000 miles away from where it happened!
Good Luck,
Michael

Offline Jane Wynstone

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 01:10 GMT (UK) »
You are probably referring to my great grandmother, Ursula Dodds Wake, daughter of Joseph Dodds, a plate layer on the railroads (Durham, I think) and married to William Wake, a blacksmith/engineer at St. John's Church in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. It's near the railway station. I visited it a few years ago, when I was in the UK. It's high church Anglican. I did have the marriage certificate and if I find it, I'll post the details. William Wake took Ursula and their 3 children to Antigua and Montserrat in the West Indies. After Ursula died (buried in Antigua (I think) her grave was visited by Cecil Wake, one of my Canadian cousins, many years ago) William, according to family stories, disappeared and the 3 children left the islands. William (again according to legend!) then re-appeared, loaded with lots of money which he spent with gay abandon and then disappeared again to be last heard of in Peru or Chile, I forget which.  His son John ended up in Canada (married to Ruth Sones (sp.?) where he fathered
 6 children; my grandfather, Joseph Dodds Wake -- married to Barbara Johnson(lived in Jarrow) --5 children and Margaret ( I think) married an Irish Canadian -- last name, Egan, I think. It is said that my great grandfather William built a bridge in either Antigua or Montserrat (again, I don't know which) which has his initials carved into the iron work. Our branch of the Wake family owned a farm in NE Yorkshire, near Wellbury. By the way, we are probably also related to Nancy Wake (the 'White Mouse' of WW2 fame) -- you can look her up on Google. Have fun!

Offline Michael Wake

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 11 March 18 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just come across your post about Ursula Dodds, where you say she was your Great Grandma, she is also mine! I was wondering which of Joseph Dodds Wake's children was you father?
Mine was Thomas Marshall Wake. I too have heard the Antigua tales, where the three kids sailed back to UK, got ship wrecked, with our Grandpa being the only one to make back to County Durham, the other two ending up in Canada. The Yorkshire connection I've heard about is also at Welbury, a pub  called the Duke of Wellington, although it's now a cafe called the Monks Table, called there in 2010.
Kind Regards,
 Michael Wake

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 11 March 18 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Cousin Michael – I used to visit your parents (and you and your sister Gillian) when I was in England many years ago.

Like you, I now live in New Zealand. I’d enjoy meeting with you and Rowena if you ever venture from your home up north. I am of course in touch with several of our Canadian cousins.

Vivien Wake.

Posted to me in error by Jane Wynstone, I will send you an email to reset your password so that you can log in again.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk