Author Topic: Muirs of Barone Park  (Read 19416 times)

Offline JillAllen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Muirs of Barone Park
« on: Sunday 16 May 10 14:37 BST (UK) »
Please reply to this post if you know of any family connected with James Muir and his children of Barone Park.  My great great grandfather was George Bland Muir. I am greatly interested in finding any relatives. 

I know that a few of his siblings went to New Zealand.  George went to the USA.  I live in Northwestern Pennsylvania, USA.  I have a hand painted plate that was rendered by his sister of Loch Ard.  I would love to show it to someone who has the same fascination with the family like I do.

Thank you for reading my post,
Jill

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Muirs of Barone Park
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 May 10 15:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. We aren't allowed to post email addresses here so I've removed the one from your post.
See that you've another thread on Australia board- is this the same James Muir of Barone Park? You haven't given any dates on this thread but posted "Margaret MUIR, bap 1821, was a daughter of James MUIR of Barone Park, Rothesay and his wife Margaret BLAND.  Her father James (1786-1866) was b Rothesay, a son of William MUIR and Margaret MCDONALD.  William presumably a son, b 1759 in Rothesay, of James MUIR and Isobel FISHER."
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,17006.msg3177789.html#msg3177789
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JillAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 10 02:54 BST (UK) »
I located a family history that was put together by my Great Uncle Donald.--he wrote--My Grandfather, Archibald(born Feb. 18, 1823/died July 13,1910) was the last Muir on the farm at Barone Park.  Archibald married Agnes Robertson(married Sept. 1849)siblings as follows:  James born Sept. 2, 1850--Robertson born 1852--George(my great,great grandfather) born May 12, 1854/died May 17, 1914--Archibald Jr. born June 26, 1856--Margaret(Maggie) born March 21, 1858, Agnes Veronica(Onie) born Sept. 2, 1862--William Charles born--Oct. 17, 1864--John Henry born 1866--Mary Isabella born Dec. 2, 1868--Jane died in infancy--Louisa(Louie) born Jan. 22, 1870----Robertson was a Vetinarian, Archibald was a Chemist, William Charles was an M.D. and went to Australia...Maggie, Mary, Louie, Onie stayed in Scotland.

George Bland Muir was married twice.  He had two boys by his first wife.  Archie and Matt.  Archie died in Seattle.  And Matt died in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  (dates unknown.  as is the first wife's name--no record of who she was)

George was educated at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, he majored in Agronomy.  George came to the USA in 1880 and married Mary Belle Sager, daughter of Dr. Newton Sager.  Ella(my great grandmother)born Oct. 28,1884 died Feb. 22, 1952 and Donald born Jun 9, 1890, died March 8,1980

Great Grandma Ella married Cloyd Ackerman(born Nov 12, 1880/died Mar 23, 1943) May 28,1904.  My grandmother Cynthia Ackerman Niebauer(married to Lorenz Niebauer) is one of ten children.  My father William is a twin and one of six children. 

I wish to come into contact with any relatives that can add to the threads of my families past.  Thank you for taking the time to read this.   

Jill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 10 08:37 BST (UK) »
How fortunate to have such detailed notes to start your research.

We are also not allowed to post details of living people so I've removed that information from your post. Please read Posting Guidelines.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JillAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 23:34 BST (UK) »
sorry got carried away.

Offline murrayweb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 November 10 06:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill,
I have read your information, I have just recently come across the "Muirs" as a distant part of my family, have you an information on Archibalds brother Thomas Bland Muir who went to New Zealand?
Regards
Murray

Offline JillAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 November 10 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Murray,
Sorry. I don't have any information regarding the Muirs that went to New Zealand.  It is nice to know that you are one of my cousins.  Pleased to make your acquaintance.  If I come across anything I will post it here. 

Happy Holidays :)
Jill

Offline Mackiwi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Per Ardua
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 June 11 22:05 BST (UK) »
MUIR's  in New Zealand in 1869-70 Electoral Roll living in the Dunedin area. Anyone interested can contact me and I will look closer at first names, etc.

Mackiwi  :)
MCINTYRE, TAYLOR, DUNCAN Skipness & NTHKnapdale
CAMPBELL,MCKINNON,MCDONALD ,Isle of Coll
MCINTYRE,CAMPBELL, Isle of Bute
MCMILLAN Rutherglen, Scotland
PERRIN, STEPHENS,PAYNE,FEAKINS,PREECE,DUDSON, Endland, Australia & New Zealand
BASON, Potterspury, England
MASON Potterspury England
HENSON, Potterspury England & New Zealand
WYBROW, England, Australia & New Zealand
WHITE Sri Lanka & new Zealand
TRAILL, America & New Zealand
MACGREGOR, LOCKHART, STEPHENSON,MCKELVIE, Scotland

Offline JillAllen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 June 11 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hello.  Any assistance that you can provide would be appreciated.  I have a written history of the family that was put together by my great uncle Donald Muir; deceased.  I will type it as he has documented:  Now the first Muir I know about were James Muir, and was probably born about 1785 or there about.  He married Margaret Bland.  They were my Great-Grandparents.  James was foreman for the Marquis of Bute.  He has several children, two girl migrated to New Zealand.
     My Grandfather, Archibald was the last Muir on the farm at Barone Park.  Archibald married Agnes Robertson.  She was a business woman and had a dress making job.  She must have been very successful, as she put all of her children through college.  James Muir, the oldest, came to America and was a lumberman.
     Robertson was a Veterinarian.  He graduated from Kings College of Veterinary.  Archibald was a chemist and got his education as a chemist in Germany.  The German's were the chemist for the world until the first World War.  Charles was an M.D. and went to Australia where he stayed.  Margaret, Mary, Louie, and Onie stayed in Scotland.
     Now our own family, father(George Bland Muir) was married twice.  He had two boys by his first wife, Archie and Matt.  Archie died in Seattle.  And Matt died in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  They both were married.  Matt had two children, Matt and Julia.
     George was educated at the University of Edinburgh, Scotland, he majored in Agronomy.  George came to the United States in 1880, and married Mary Belle Sager, daughter of Dr. Newton Sager.  Ella was born in 1884 and Donald(myself) was born in 1890.

The Family of Jame Muir & Margaret Bland--married November 4, 1811- Parish Church-Sedburgh, Yorkshire
-James Muir: died January 29, 1866 at the age of 80
-Margaret Bland: died August 20, 1838
Children:
-William; born November 11, 1812
-Thomas Bland; born December 24, 1816
-Mary; born April 6,1820 died July 23, 1816
-Margaret; born July 31, 1821, died July 13, 1859
-Archibald; born February 18, 1823, died July 13,1910(Donald & Ella's Grandfather)
-James; born April 5, 1825, died September 9, 1845
-George; born November 27, 1827, died September 11, 1852

The Family of Archibald Muir & Agnes Robertson-married September 1849 at 304 Argyle St., Glasgow, Scotland
Children:
-James; born September 2, 1850
-Robertson; born 1852
-George Bland; born May 12, 1854, died may 17, 1914- 60 years old (Donald & Ella's father)
-Archibald Jr.; born Jun 26, 1856
-Margaret(Maggie); born March 21, 1858
-Agnes Veronica(Onie); born September 2, 1862
-William Charles Crawford; born October 17, 1864
-John Henry Stuart; born 1866
-Mary Isabella; born December 2, 1868
-Jane Ewing; died in infancy
-Louisa Douglas(Louie); born January 22, 1870

I hope some of this information is useful.
Jill Allen