Author Topic: In which newspaper/s would deaths of Opunake folk be published? **COMPLETED**  (Read 2746 times)

Offline Kiskeam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
I am interested in obtaining copies of death notices for a husband and wife who farmed near Opunake.  The husband died in January 1927 and the wife in February 1947 and they are buried in the Opunake Cemetery.

First I need to identify the most likely newspaper in which their notices would have been published.

Then I would welcome  help to obtain details of these notices via a pm, as there maybe living relatives of these people.

My interest concerns trying to establish  what if any is the believed relationship with my family.

Many thanks.

Kiskeam

Keppel O'Callaghan Riordan Harrington Dwyer Halpin O'Brien

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Hi Kiskeam ... possibly the Taranaki Daily News, someone from that area may know better  :) mare

Offline Satchwell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
You could try   http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz   which can be searched by region or date

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Kiskeam

Had been going to suggest the "Taranaki Herald" also, but on searching the National Library catalogue, it seems that the papers for the particular years you are after, are not available.    :(    [That is to say NatLib don't appear to have them, though they may be available at a Taranaki repository ?]

~  Lu

Offline GailS

• RootsChat Senior
  • William ANDREW
    • View Profile
mare is right, it would most likely be the Taranaki Daily News.

If you would like to PM the details I can have a look next time I am in New Plymouth, but there are a couple of other taranaki RCers who may be able to do it quicker. (if they offer) :)

Also I have a friend who lives in the area who has a vast knowledge and photo etc..would you like me to ask her? She is very discreet and her knowledge is amazing.
CORNWALL, Andrew, Whitford, Harris, Jeffery, Blight.
ENGLAND-LONDON, Allingham, Warbey, Alloway, Gunter.
               -NOTTINGHAM, Ball, Lewis.
IRELAND-SWORDS, Rogers, Reynolds.
SCOTLAND, Thomson, Neil, Wilson, McMillan, Weddell,
NEW ZEALAND, All of the above.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Satchwell

Unfortunately, PapersPast don't have Taranaki newspapers, past the year of 1910.

~   Lu

Offline GailS

• RootsChat Senior
  • William ANDREW
    • View Profile
I should have added that there are Taranaki Herald newspapers there, sorry I cant remember the dates off the top of my head.

I wish you had posted this about 24 hours earlier as I was there yesterday   :'(
CORNWALL, Andrew, Whitford, Harris, Jeffery, Blight.
ENGLAND-LONDON, Allingham, Warbey, Alloway, Gunter.
               -NOTTINGHAM, Ball, Lewis.
IRELAND-SWORDS, Rogers, Reynolds.
SCOTLAND, Thomson, Neil, Wilson, McMillan, Weddell,
NEW ZEALAND, All of the above.

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
I'll be at Puke Ariki on Wednesday.  They have microfilms for all the Taranaki newspapers for that era, and hard copies stored away. 

I'll add that to my list  :-)
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My daughter's family:  HAILEY, WAKEFIELD (=> NZ 1850s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)

Offline Kiskeam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile

I very much appreciate the helpful suggestions made by Mare Satchwell Lucy2 and GailS.  Amazing how quickly your contributions were received, all inside 12 hours of posting.

Thank you Taonga1 for your offer to look up the archives at Puke Ariki.  That is a wonder source of Taranaki History and I do hope to be able to re-visit later this year.  I have sent you a pm with the details of the couple.

Regards to all.

Kiskeam
Keppel O'Callaghan Riordan Harrington Dwyer Halpin O'Brien