Author Topic: Smeatons  (Read 13961 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Smeatons
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 October 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
You're right, Tom.

But it was Montana who said, "Her name is Anne Gibson, but I have not been able to find anything on her maiden name."

If Montana had been looking at the original as posted by Unė kthimi i papenduar, (s)he would have known that Anne Gibson's maiden name was Gilmour.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 October 14 12:19 BST (UK) »
........Margaret Cameron died 1835 14 Feb buried 15 Feb 172 DC east of Smeaton's ground.
Hi Forfarian,

The record that "Unė kthimi i papenduar" posted was for Ann(e) Gibson nee Gilmour, but the 172 DC referred to a Margaret Cameron.

Tom

PS I find it strange that can find no record of Smeatons Ground in Canongate Kirkyard, there are no Smeatons buried there according to Find-A-Grave.com.
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 October 14 13:49 BST (UK) »
The record that "Unė kthimi i papenduar" posted was for Ann(e) Gibson nee Gilmour, but the 172 DC referred to a Margaret Cameron.
Mea culpa.

PS I find it strange that can find no record of Smeatons Ground in Canongate Kirkyard, there are no Smeatons buried there according to Find-A-Grave.com.

Does Find-a-grave have burial records as oppoed to inscriptions? Could it just be that there was never a stone for Smeaton, or that any stone has not survived?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 October 14 14:34 BST (UK) »
Yes! Those are the records that I found on scotlandspeople.com  Here is the strange part.  My other family line from Scotland, is Robert Marshall, and Margaret Marshall.  I don't know who Mary and Alexander Marshall are in the census that are with Daniel and Anne, As I do not know who Robert and Margaret (whitehead) parents are either.   But Margaret Marshall, their daughter, married James Gibson, Anne and Daniels son.  Too many Margaret names in these trees, so very confusing.  But I don't get the Marshall connection to Anne and Daniel, other than of course the marriage between Margaret Marshall and James Gibson.  And if you look on the death record of Anne, it has a tiny 43y or g, and I assumed possible her age. The daughter Margaret (Gibson) on her marriage certificate just listed her mother Anne as deceased but not her father it says nothing.  I have searched all death records of Daniel and nothing fits.   I cannot find any birth records for Anne Gilmour that suggests that Mary Marshall could have been her sister and even odd still that My Marshalls, married into the Gibson family if they were related? or ? I am so confused on these two families. This is where my road ended with the both of them.  I have old records of Roberts bad behavior and his time in jail, nothing links them together, as Mary Marshall ( the one with the Gibson's )  who is listed with Alexander who was 9 years old, found a birth record listing with Mary Marshall as the mother, but a Robert Marshall as the father????  But this Marshall did not seem to fit my  Robert Marshall, who also was a Hawker, who lived in Fife, married my Margaret Whitehead, in 1825, still with her in 1841 as he beat her up and sent to jail, and died in 1851 in path fife. No death record for Margaret Whitehead his wife. She just disappeared.  I thought Mary Marshall could have been Margaret (whitehead) but the birth records of an Alexander born Midlothian to Mary and Robert don't match what I know about Robert.  Confusing isn't it?
Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 October 14 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Montana,
You mention that James and Robert Gibson are in Dalkeith Poorhouse. Which Census is this please?

There is a Daniel Gibson, widower in Dalkeith on 1851 Census . His age is given as 55. :-\

Looby :)

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
Oh wonderful, does it give much information?  The census was the following year 1851 and it gave the Dalkeith poorhouse roster list with James and I believe his brother Robert but names were not together. It said in the ED" The Orphan Hospital" parish number 685/2  and Roberts says in the ED St Cuthberts Charity Workhouse.  Sorry might have been confused on Dalkeith, as james died in the Dalkeith Poorhouse later in life. 

Hi Montana,
You mention that James and Robert Gibson are in Dalkeith Poorhouse. Which Census is this please?

There is a Daniel Gibson, widower in Dalkeith on 1851 Census . His age is given as 55. :-\

Elliot, Mullen, Colquhoun, Smith, Moore, Coleman, Marshall, Hall, Dale, Galbraith, Cathcart, Gibson, Taylor, Lawson McGeachie, Caldwell

Scotland, West Lothian  Lanarkshire, Paisley, Glasgow,  Ireland,  Armagh, Donegal

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:13 BST (UK) »
This is a transcription found on FreeCen -

Brotherstons Close, Dalkeith

James Gibson   head    Married      24    Hawker unlicensed     born Berwickshire Swinton
Margret Gibson  wife      "              23    Hawker's wife                   Stirlingshire Falkirk
Robert Gibson    son                        2    Hawker's son            born Midlothian Dalkeith
Daniel Gibson     nephew  widowed  55    Tin Smith                        Lanarkshire Glasgow
Robert Gibson    visitor   unmarried  15     Scholar                   born Berwickshire Tweedmouth.

Obviously don't knowfor certain yet that this Daniel is your man. But he is from Glasgow where I believe your couple married. All above as transcribed (spelling etc) . Daniel being nephew of the head of house seems a bit odd. Perhaps it should be uncle???

Offline Montana272

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I meant that Anne Gibson ( Gilmore) or Gilmour, does not have a birth record under that name that fits the age on the census.   That is what I meant by nothing on her maiden name meaning could not find anything by her maiden name. Sorry.

You're right, Tom.

But it was Montana who said, "Her name is Anne Gibson, but I have not been able to find anything on her maiden name."

If Montana had been looking at the original as posted by Unė kthimi i papenduar, (s)he would have known that Anne Gibson's maiden name was Gilmour.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 06 October 14 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hold the bus Montana!
Don't think that Daniel Gibson is your man.
I've found another Daniel Gibson age 47 Tin Smith on the 1841 Census  at Falkirk.
He could more that likely be our Dalkeith Daniel.

Sorry  :-[