Author Topic: George Stephenson "The Rocket" Tracing my family link  (Read 6718 times)

Offline fizz83

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Stephenson "The Rocket" Tracing my family link
« on: Monday 17 May 10 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi, Im trying to trace the information on George Stephenson "The Rocket" descendants. My connection is said to be a female descendant married to a Towart/Towhart or something similiar. I'm just starting my family tree, and having a little difficulty. Any tips also would be great! thanks all :-)

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Re: George Stephenson "The Rocket" Tracing my family link
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 May 10 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Fizz83, welcome to Rootschat. It's best to take things steady and work backwards from yourself rather than leaping in to try and prove a link like that as  it's so easy to get in a muddle if you don't make sure that you are following the right family.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msallen

• RootsChat Member
  • Alfred Flint & Ann Slack's wedding day in 1866
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 May 10 13:20 BST (UK) »
The only advice I would give is that you shouldn't go looking for links to a specific person, or try to prove the family folklore about such a claim, as that is likely to bias your findings (for example if you to find you were descended from John Smith of Anytown, but then found there were two John Smiths of about the right age in Anytown, you are likely to chosse the one that you would like it to be to make the link, rather than finding out which is the correct one).

You should just start from the present and work your way back, going where the evidence leads you.
Too many to list! But always particularly interested in my eight ggp lines : ALLEN, HODGKINSON, FLINT, SWINDELL, SHELDON, BINGHAM, JACKSON - all in Derbyshire; and ELLWOOD in Cambridgeshire

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 May 10 13:33 BST (UK) »
On sites like Ancestry, once you're on the "right" trail, the hints will come thick and fast, if you really are related.  I'm related (by marriage) to several very famous Americans, and I had no trouble finding the links via Ancestry hints.  Tracing descendants is much harder than tracing ancestors, so the advice given by others is basically sound.  The trouble with trying to find a link to someone famous is that the task may cloud your judgement, and you could end up racing up the wrong lines.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 May 10 15:02 BST (UK) »
I understand that the descendants of George's brothers are well documented, but he himself had no grandchildren,  He had only the one son, Robert, and Robert had no surviving children.  There are numerous biographies of the Stephensons.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 May 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
This thread appears to duplicate the following:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,217210.30.html

The following link provides some information on the family history:

http://www.robertstephensontrust.com/page10.html

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fizz83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 May 10 05:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everyone  :)
 I've not long been searching the family tree, and you are all right, it certainly is more a muddle trying to link down as a descendant!
I'm currently searching the internet for links where I can find Birth certificates and more info, so I hope I have some luck soon working the right way.

Cheers all  :D

Offline rsroper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 June 10 18:48 BST (UK) »
Rebecca,
I think I have already had conversation with  you on the Stephensons and I said that I had no details of any connection with Towards. I think that Paul Hope has led you to think that he had some new info but he only has what I have given him.
Sorry about that
Bob

Offline fizz83

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 June 10 21:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob,
I've been doing more research, and my mum came and had a look the other day and she told me the connection was apparently, one of my great grandmother's sisters married into the Stephensons. Her maiden name was "Pitchford". At the moment I know of 3 sisters christian names - Elizabeth, Harriet and Hannah.
 This is all just stories that she's heard too. But I'm sure you'll know better than anyone of it's true!