Author Topic: Thomas Boswell  (Read 2214 times)

Offline KRMMT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Boswell
« on: Tuesday 18 May 10 01:50 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for years trying to find the parents for a Thomas Boswell born about 1800. He partnered with a Temperance Lovett/Lovell.

The following is the only records that I have found for them:

Son Samson baptized in Lowestoft, Suffolk in 1822
Parents: Thomas/Temperance

Son Nathaniel baptized 1841 Blaenavon, Wales
Parents: Thomas/Temperance

I found a close match to a Thomas Boswell married to an Ambress in the 1861 Aberdare Glamorgan Wales census. I have my doubts that this is the correct one because I have a baptism record for one of their sons Jerimiah in 29 NOV 1835 Wellington, Shropshire, England. This is 6 years before the baptism of the Nathaniel listed above.

Their son Samson married Rosetta Lovell and then Leanable Evans after his first wife died. They stayed mostly in Carmarthenshire and their children travelled and married mostly into Lovells and Evans families. The family was very elusive and were never recorded in any censuses under these names until they immigrated to the US in the 1880s.

Does anyone have any other leads or suggestions that I might follow?

Offline merlinsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Boswell
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
My Gt Uncle was known as Freddie Boswell, and his dad Horsey David! from Llanelly area.
Sorry meant to say also Fairground People, Freddies wife was Maragret, a fortune teller

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Boswell
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 February 18 14:16 GMT (UK) »
KRMMT, if you are still on Rootschat you might be interested to know that Richard Edmund's new book "The early Romany Boswells: Part II" has sections on Boswell/LOVELL, Boswell/BLEWITTand Boswell/SCAMP connections.

It shows (page 157) Samson Boswell son of Thomas BOSWELL and Temperance LOVELL born 1st September 1822 and baptised at Lowestoft, Suffolk 6th October 1822 along with Nathanael Boswell son of Thomas BOSWELL "Tinker and Grinder" and Temperance "Gipsies" abode: Blaenavon Mountain, baptised at Blaenavon, Wales on 6th June 1841.

It goes on to quote (p158) the Monmouth Merlin in June 1841 where Nathanael's baptism is reported and also mentions Ambress.

You can find out more about this book here: http://rtfhs.org.uk/publications/gypsy-families/
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas