Author Topic: James Cecil  (Read 21759 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: James Cecil
« Reply #27 on: Friday 09 December 11 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi pacemaker

You need to send your e-mail to Cecily through a PM (personal message)if you leave it here you are open to spamming - see reply 4 here.  ;D

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.msg375038.html#msg375038
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pacemaker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 09 December 11 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Groom,

Thanks for the reminder,  senior moment... Steer me to PMs

Pacemaker

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 09 December 11 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Groom,

Thanks for the reminder,  senior moment... Steer me to PMs

Pacemaker

To PM someone just click on the scroll under their name.   ;) ;) ;)

Jan

Offline EuroFlyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 December 11 13:58 GMT (UK) »
wjough found my tree on Ancestry and kindly directed me to this thread. This is my first ever post on Rootschat.

Charles Cecil and Judith Raby are my five times great grandparents. I am descended through their son Daniel Cecil (1756-1837), Daniel's son John Cecil (1797-1866), and John's daughter Susannah Cecil (1824-1891). My Cecil line on Ancestry stops with Charles.

I am delighted to have found you and excited by these new leads. The Bridewell link has really got my attention!  :)

I have been researching for many years and hope that I can contribute.

Ham, Burnett, Patch and Sedgebery families of Somerset.
Bedgood of Dorset.
Spurway and Cummings of Devon.
Collins of Surrey. Squires of Lincolnshire.
Chadwick, Sabin, Lee, Cecil and Holyhome of London.
The Huguenot families: Ruffy, Raby, Fremont and Poivier.
Campkin and Pryor of Cambridge.
Riley and Keys of Essex.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 11 December 11 22:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi EuroFlyer

Welcome to Rootschat  :D

Happy hunting

Dawn
(co-moderator for London & Middlesex)

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline pacemaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 12 December 11 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi EuroFlyer,

Stay contented with Charles and Judith born 1717 and 1718, to follow Ancestry beyond that will lead you into a quagmire.  My branch from Charles comes through their son Thomas Cecil 1754 and Sarah.

Derek (Pacemaker)

Offline EuroFlyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 12 December 11 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dawn and Derek.

I have been researching for so long that I am very content with Charles and Judith!

I have been putting together a timeline for Charles and I find his early years rather moving. When he was age 13 he was given an apprenticeship by the Bridewell Royal Hospital. After about eight years training as a silk weaver under Mr Phillips, when he was 21, Charles married Judith and, in the same year, was given the Freedom of the City and was “set-up for himself in his said trade, in his own house, next door but one to the Golden Ball in St John Street, Spittle Fields”. The next year, 1740, on the 17th May, he baptised his first baby; a son that he named Charles Daniel (Daniel, as you know, being the name of Judith's father).

In the minutes of the Bridewell Royal Hospital, Court-of-Governors meeting, of 5th June 1740, it says that two of the governors had visited Charles and found him to be “a diligent and sober man” and, as a result, they awarded him a “Lock’s Gift” of £10. Five days after that, on the 10th June, he buried his baby son.

In his long life, he saw the houses on London bridge demolished (when he was 40), the medieval walls of London demolished (when he was 49) and, two years before he died, the first aerial voyage from English soil took place only a stones-throw from where he lived in Bethnal Green. On the 15th February 1784, Vincenzo Lunardi took-off in a balloon from the Artillery Ground in Finsbury. It was the sensation of the age.

And most of us on this thread are related to Charles and Judith. What more can anyone ask!
Bedgood of Dorset.
Riley and Keys of Essex.

Offline pacemaker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you EuroFlyer, a man after my own heart. Throughout my whole research with my tree, I have looked for and sometimes found those little crumbs of enlightenment into the lives of the people we add to our tree. In the census for trade, we read Ag Lab, and if not careful we enter that fact without a moments thought as to the crippling labour involved, the need for still more income to keep the ever growing family, without medical aid and regular infant deaths. In my own case the families had to sit round every spare minute of the day plaiting straw for the hat industry in Luton and Dunstable. This made life a little  more comfortable.
            Charles and Judith would have been very aware, if uneducated, with the causes of infant mortality and I would hope they both lived through their grief to a better place.
             Did you see the Len Goodman programme on "Who do you think you are" with the explanation as to how it was necessary to be a freeman of the city to carry out silk weaving?  I found the programme expectantly exiting the closer they got to Charles Cecil, knowing that this was one person from my tree.

Keep researching for the personal stuff and bring the ancestors alive. Every person had a story.

Derek (Pacemaker)

Offline EuroFlyer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 13 December 11 20:05 GMT (UK) »
Well said Pacemaker!

Forgot to say... I did watch the Len Goodman episode of WDYTYA. I was contacted by a BBC researcher about a year ago. She asked a few esoteric questions about the Cecil tree. I explained what I knew and heard no more until I watched the program and found out what it was about. My tree splits away from Len Goodman's at John Cecil. My great, great grandmother was Susannah Cecil (1824-1891) and Len Goodman's was Susannah's sister Sarah (1820-1880).

Incidentally, have you ever seen the BBC comedy series "Rev"? BBC 1 at 9:00pm on Thursdays. It is filmed in St. Leonard's, Shoreditch, where Charles and Judith had three of their children baptised: Judith (1741), Charles(1743) and Henry(1745).
Bedgood of Dorset.
Riley and Keys of Essex.