Author Topic: Waterford Militia  (Read 5836 times)

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waterford Militia
« on: Tuesday 18 May 10 21:18 BST (UK) »
Would anyone have access to Militia records for the Waterford Militia? 

I came across a record for the baptism of Elizabeth, the daughter of John Power Esq Captain of the Waterford Regiment of Militia and Ann Power alias Ross of Newtownlimavady on Oct 20th 1807, in St Columb’s C of I , Templemore, Londonderry .

The writing was hard to read and I am trying to confirm that John Power Esq was in fact Captain of the Waterford Regiment of Militia in 1807.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline vasaborg

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Waterford Militia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 16:22 BST (UK) »
You could write to Waterford Archives, High Street, Waterford City or Waterford City Library, Lady Lane , Waterford City.

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 18:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot vasaborg. I'll try writing to them.

Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 May 10 13:32 BST (UK) »
I found a book in the Linenhall Library which lists the names of Militia officers in Ireland and else where in 1805.

It lists a Captain John Power as being appointed to that rank 30th May 1801. A Pierce Power was appointed Chaplain 1 Oct 1793.
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline kayakbr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 June 10 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi cyclamen,

What was the name of the book?  Was there a Capt Benjamin Johnson there too?  Waterford militia? 

thanks,

Brian

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 June 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry Brian,
I was only looking for the name Power. I think (I didn't write the name down ) the name of the book was 'A List of the Officers of the militia, the gentlemen and yeomanry cavalry and volunteer infantry of the United Kingdom'  Publisher War Office 1805.

If you go to the Library Catalogue for the Linenhall Library you will find quite a number of books covering the militia. Some of these go back into the 1700s. Try e-mailing the library as they may do a lookup for you. If you can't get any joy from the library let me know and I will look it up for you. Unfortunately it might be July before I am back in Belfast.
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh

Offline kayakbr

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 June 10 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi cyclamen!

Thank you!  I'll follow-up with the library.

Brian

Offline harrisonchase

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 September 10 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian, I am also intersted in Captain Benjamin Johnson. I know he lived in Springfield, Kill St Nicholas, and married Elizabeth Bennet (sister of Dr William Bennet, Bishop of Cloyne) and have some details of their children especially Reverend Benjamin Burton Johnson.

Did you get further with your enquiries?

Tim

Offline Rquinn85

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 January 18 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I realize this post is almost a decade old, but curious as to if anyone had found or has additional information on Captain Benjamin Burton Johnson. I believe his wife, Elizabeth Bennet, is actually the niece of Rev. William Bennet, Bishop of Cloyne. She had a brother, also named William Bennet, who was born around 1760 and owned a plantation in St Mary, Jamaica. After he died, Benjamin Burton Johnson took ownership of the estate.

If anyone has additional information on the family or specifically the military service of Captain Johnson, or his father Robert Johnson, i would certainly appreciate it.

-R.Quinn

Hi Brian, I am also intersted in Captain Benjamin Johnson. I know he lived in Springfield, Kill St Nicholas, and married Elizabeth Bennet (sister of Dr William Bennet, Bishop of Cloyne) and have some details of their children especially Reverend Benjamin Burton Johnson.

Did you get further with your enquiries?

Tim