Author Topic: Thorntons Of Haworth Squire Thornton Of Kildwick  (Read 3692 times)

Offline bettalma

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thorntons Of Haworth Squire Thornton Of Kildwick
« on: Wednesday 19 May 10 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone

Does anyone have any info on the Thorntons of Kildwick.  Squire Thornton b Oct 1798 was my GGG Grandfather married Mary Ann Binns 1819, moved to Haworth was a Farmer and Grocer.

Bettalma

Offline tressle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Thorntons Of Haworth Squire Thornton Of Kildwick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 10:57 BST (UK) »
There was a Squire Thornton of Yorkshire (Just wondered if it is your man's father - although I am sure there must be more than one Squire Thornton) who was taken prisoner by the rebels at the Battle of Falkirk but I believe later escaped.  That was in 1746.

Tressle
Simmons-Northamptonshire
Prigmore-Bedfordshire
Harpham-Lincolnshire

Offline bettalma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for that info.  Not sure if there is a connection i haven't got so far back.
I know that Squire named a son after him b1834 and so it went on in the 1800s.
Bettalma

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 June 10 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Bettalma,
I have several Thorntons of Haworth including a Squire Arthur Thonton 1861-1945. He was a son of Jonas 1822-1872 and his wife Susannah nee Ogden.
I didn't go back earlier because they weren't direct ancestors.
Jonas was living at Greenfield Haworth in 1872.
from my notes for Jonas -

Jonas Thornton of Greenfield died just 9 days after his daughter Sarah was married to Archibald Leighton Bland

The relationship between John,Sarah,George,Robert Squire and Percy are Jonas's Son's and Daughter as far as I am aware, I am still trying to get more info on them, John was my Great Grandfather and was born in Oxenhope, then he moved to Otley and married Eliza Pollard, Gay Lane Estate and Charles Street,they had four children one named Jonas Baldwin who was my Grandfather and he came to Haworth to work on the Slaiden Reservoir as a Mason then married my Grandma, Emma Shackleton she was one of the Haworth characters and is in one of the history book's of Haworth. It would be quite exiting to trace any family from any of these ancestors, I believe there are some, maybe some leg work is needed......Betty Thornton

Parents: Father:  SQUIRE THORNTON
 Mother:  ANN
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bettalma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 June 10 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Thanks for your message.  I'm a direct decendant of
Squire Thornton b Kildwick GGG Grandfather
Jonas  "    "     "  b Haworth GG  "      "       "
John    "    "     "  b Haworth G    "       "       "
Jonas B Thornton b Otley     Grandfather
George Harry   "   b Haworth Father

I have a little info on info on some of the other Thorntons.  If your G Grandfather was John then you must be a direct decendant of Squire of Kildwick, like me.
Regards
Bettalma     

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 June 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
No I'm not related to the Kildwick Thorntons. It was Betty Thornton who is the ggrandaughter of John, she might be still alive and living in Haworth, it was a few years ago when we last contacted. I have just realised that you could be the Betty Thornton who I was in contact with ?
I am related to Archibald Bland who married Sarah Thornton.
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline speckledtroutt

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 May 15 01:03 BST (UK) »
I am responding to the original post. I am also a ggg granddaughter of Squire Thornton (b1798) of Kildwick, Yorkshire England.  He was the son of Thomas Thornton. We are related!  If you have any further information I would be very grateful!