Author Topic: Incoming UK Passenger Lists, 1947ish  (Read 6267 times)

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Incoming UK Passenger Lists, 1947ish
« on: Wednesday 19 May 10 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi:

I'm trying to help my friend find her deceased fathers British roots.  She knows he and his family went to India from England sometime after 1921, and he returned after 1947, from there he subsequently emigrated to Canada (where I am).  His parents stayed in India and his passport shows him returning to Calcutta, via Rome, on 11 December 1952. He travelled to Benapole from Jan 4-7 and left Pakistan on Jan 14, 1953.

She always knew him as Hugh John MARTIN born 23 July, 1921, Cranbrook, Kent, England.  Parents Stephen and Elizabeth, one sibling, Stephen.  His birth has been hard to find and on finding some of his old British Passports there is a note showing that his birth was registered as John Martin.  My reason for stating this is he may show up as Hugh John OR John Martin.

His first passport was issued May 12, 1947 by the Foreign Office in India, and he left Liverpool, England for Canada on December 31, 1947.  So he presumably came back to England from India between May 1947 and December 1947.  Can anyone find him?

I've tried finding him on the outgoing Passenger Lists between England and Canada, without success.  We can't find his birth, my friend is not allowed to apply for a copy of his marriage certificate or Citizenship papers until he has been dead for 20 years (Canadian ruling), which is about 18 years too long! So we're banging our heads against a brick wall :-\  I'm hoping any information on a passenger list may help.

Thank you, Linda

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Incoming UK Passenger Lists, 1947ish
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 19:25 BST (UK) »
What Province did he come to in Canada?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 19:41 BST (UK) »
Karen:

He landed in Halifax January 8, 1948, or at least that is the stamp in his passport, ultimately ending up in Montreal.

Linda

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
Could this be his birth?

MARTIN John - 2a 1804 Cranbrook Sep 1921 qtr.

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry Nigel, I should have explained I'd tried that one.  His parents names even match!

However I was able to trace a living relative of this John, and he's in a care home in Australia, but alive.  Strangely enough that's where my friends fathers sibling also supposedly went to.

The living relative is absolutely convinced there is no connection to "my" family - the father Stephen in this case died after returning from the war, mother Elizabeth remarried, never went to India.  Lots of coincidences though eh? :-\

Thanks anyway, Linda

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 21:06 BST (UK) »
Does the date of birth match (ie is the date in the passport the same as for this birth certificate)?

In case it is of interest there is a Hugh John Martin of 5770 Cote St, Montreal listed for the Queen Mary departing Southampton on 14 Oct 1954 and arriving in New York on 19 Oct 1954. Apparently, he did not embark.

Nigel
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Offline Lindyloowho

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 21:29 BST (UK) »
Nigel - yes, date of birth in his passport matches what my friend always knew to be his birthday.  We don't have an actual birth  certificate because we can't find the birth registration.

Sounds a possibility for him in Montreal.

How do you know he didn't board ship?

There is a Visa shown in his passport issued October 8, 1954, valid until October 7, 1956.  The visa came from the American Embassy in London, England.

This is getting more and more interesting!

Linda

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 21:34 BST (UK) »
Did he marry in Montreal?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 May 10 21:37 BST (UK) »
Nigel - yes, date of birth in his passport matches what my friend always knew to be his birthday.  We don't have an actual birth  certificate because we can't find the birth registration.

Sounds a possibility for him in Montreal.

How do you know he didn't board ship?

There is a Visa shown in his passport issued October 8, 1954, valid until October 7, 1956.  The visa came from the American Embassy in London, England.

This is getting more and more interesting!

Linda

Hi Linda,

What do you know about his brother Stephen? Was he born in England?

The John Martin born in Kent appears to have a sister Joan E. Martin. Their parents were Stephen Martin and Beatrice E. Crowther (married 1921).

It may be worthwhile ordering that 1921 birth certificate to see what details it provides (I'm confused here because earlier in the thread you say you have tried this one but then say you haven't ordered the certificate because you can't find the birth).

The original record for the Queen Mary for 1954 specifically states in block print that he did not embark.

Nigel
Somerset - Barber