Author Topic: Information on the Rebellion in 1789  (Read 7184 times)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Information on the Rebellion in 1789
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 June 10 12:50 BST (UK) »
1798 A Bicentenary Perspective (Mountmellick Library) has some 800 pages and is Indexed also.
Page 612 mentions Gore family

Mrs Elizabeth Paterson, married to a senior New South Wales Corps officer, expressed her fears of 'private assassins breaking into houses in the dead of night in which they were but too successful in their own country.' Her information was not entirely hearsay in view of the fact that members of the Grose, Gore and other leading established families had seen action against the insurgents in 1798.
That is the only mention of Gore.
Jack

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 June 10 05:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those references Jack. Looked at the link for 'Clonegal 1798' but no Gore listed. The other Gore you mentioned I have knowledge of, but I don't think he is closely connected to mine, unfortunately.

Offline lochgarman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 June 10 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Katherine my interest in 1798 is in Thomas Donovan who was a rebel and united irishman who was living in boolavogue and good friend of Fr.Murphy the rebel priest. I have been trying to prove a family connection between my ancestor Mary Donovan of Boolavogue who i think was his grand-daughter....

regarding the books here is some titles:

The Wexford Rising in 1798 by Charles Dickson,
The united irishmen, their lives and times by R.Madden,
The Weaver from Courtclough,
Insurgent Wicklow 1798 by Luke Cullen,
Rebellion in Wicklow- General Joseph Holt personal account of 1798 by Joseph Holt,
A personal narrative ....1798 by THomas Cloney,
Courtmartials of 1798-1799
A popular history of the insurrection of 1798 by the Rev. Patrick. .F. Kavanagh

try these and see if you can find anything!

gerard
Fleming, Walsh, Masterson, Tobin of Co. Kilkenny.
Doyle, Donovan, Kennedy, Sunderland, Behan, Pender, Kinsella of Co.Wexford

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 June 10 00:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that Gerard. I will try and find copies of those books and have a look at them.

I have found an index which lists a document in which Cornelius Grogan of Johnstown castle is stated as a trustee for the estate of a Richard Gore of Duncormick, who would undoubtedly be one of my lot (if not direct ancestor). I am curious to know if their was a family relationship between the two men, or just a friendship, or even business relationship.

I have been on the website of the 1798 centre in Co.Wexford, and found some information on a Cornelius Grogan - emailed the centre with some questions but they were of no help.

It certainly is interesting finding out about the rebellion. Someone did a lookup for me on a list of claims for people whose property was damaged during the rebellion, and found my John Gore on the list. It gave a list of what he lost, and value of the damages. Have you looked at that resource for your people. I imagine it is mostly protestants on the list, and presume your Donovans were Catholic?

Many thanks for your help.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 June 10 18:14 BST (UK) »
 from 'Houses of Wexford'.
Johnstown Castle, Piercesrown, Wexford
Townland; Johnstown.
The Gill map 1811 gives the owner as " Mr Grogan". The ancestral seat of the Esmondes since the reign of Henry 11 in the late twelfth century, it was confiscated at the time of the Cromwellian suppression in 1649 and agian after Wexford rebellion of 1798.
It was granted to a Cromwellian soldier, Col, John Overstreet, and came by marriage into the possesssion of the Grogan family.
In the 1800's the Grogans were the largest untitled landlords in Ireland with estates of around 20,000 acres. (The estate, unlike many others always had a resident landlord) Cornelius Grogan became a leader of the rebels in 1798 and as a result was hanged on the bridge of Wexford, and the estate confiscated.
However, his brother John, who had fought on the British side, regained ownership in 1802.
Ownership passed to his son, Hamilton Knox Grogan-Morgan.

Clonegal 1798
Huntington Castle, Clonegal
(reference to Grogan)
Alexander Durdin, a Justice of the Peace, would not have been in sympathy with the Rising at any level. He and a famous, and very different contemporary, Cornelius Grogan (who alongside Bagnel Harvey and John Henry Colclough was executed on Wexford bridge) are both ancestors of the present generation at Huntington.
In 1938 during the commemorations in Clonegal, much reference was made to Cornelius Grogan by Canon Harvey Bradish, and Derry Durdin-Rebertson rode on horseback in the village pageant, carrying a pike in his memory.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 June 10 00:24 BST (UK) »
very interesting. thanks gerard. i will keep hunting for my gore's....

Offline kclinch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Good morning Katherine,
If you have not read the book about Fr. Murphy of Boolavogue by Furlong, have a look. He tells the story of the relationship between Murphy and the Donovans and supplies some info on descendants who offered information as he prepared to write his book.
kclinch

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Trinity College Dublin – Archives

MSS 7576-7635: the Arran Papers relate to the Gore family whose lands were in counties Wexford, Donegal and Mayo. The papers and date from the mid-18th to the mid-19th centuries
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
Looks like everything has been achieved although not updated here!

It’s a long way, in distance and time, from Australia in 2011 to Co Wexford in 1796.

Yet Katharine Kennedy, from New South Wales, has traced her maternal line back to that date more than 200 years ago, when her Irish ancestor, John Gore, married Hannah Humphries in the village of Duncormick.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/who-do-you-think-you-are-26782621.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.