Author Topic: James Bruce - Colchester - will 1725  (Read 5734 times)

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Bruce - Colchester - will 1725
« on: Saturday 22 May 10 06:46 BST (UK) »
I have paid for and downloaded a will for a James Bruce which was written in 1725.  He lived in Colchester.  He had brothers called Alexander & ???, a son called James and a maid servant called Sarah ???? (sorry it is very hard to read)

If anyone wants it, let me know!

Mosher

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Bruce - Colchester - will 1725
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 10 20:39 GMT (UK) »
hello mosher
 this is the first time i,ve looked at this sec  so when i saw your post thought i,d just see if you still have the download of the will of james bruce , was the said jb a blacksmith by any chance only  the bruce family had a blacksmiths shop in east st col which insidently the building is still there also they had another one at the hythe col which was the dock area , i would be interested from an historical point to have a copy if you still have it
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline mosher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 10 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor,

Message me your email address and I will email it to you.  I tried to have a read though and see if he was a blacksmith, but gave up after a few lines - it's too early in the morning to hurt my head like that! :P

I have other Bruces in my tree, but none are blacksmiths that I have found.  Mine seemed to come from around Dedham. 

I did find a great resource for Essex the other day - http://seax.essexcc.gov.uk/displayParishContents.asp .  If you know parish and church other events have been at, you can search page by page for other births, marriages etc!  I am not sure if it is in the resource section for Essex, I found it by googling.

Mosher.

Offline Sldesormeaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 August 13 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi!  Was James Bruce born in Caithness, Scotland but died in England?  I am looking for information on Alexander Bruce.  Could the name beside Alexander be Margaret Sinclair?

Regards,
Suzanne
Cowansville, Quebec

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 August 13 20:06 BST (UK) »
hi Suzanne and welcome to rootschat  :)
I haven,t seen mosher on here for some time and myself I no longer have the will download , if you look at moshers first post it says quote he had brothers alexander & ??? meaning that another brothers  name was written that he couldn,t decipher , but it,s not to say that somewhere in this there is a Margaret Sinclair , can you give us more detail about who and what you need then maybe we can help more .
regards
trevor

Offline Sldesormeaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 August 13 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor!  Thank you for the response.  My most recent Bruce ancestor was Janet Bruce b. 1781 in Golspie.  She married George Campbell b. 1786 in Sutherland County on Feb 28, 1806.  Her parents were William Bruce b. May 10, 172 in Caithness and Isabell Gunn b. 1765 in Caithness.  William's parents were Alexander Bruce b. 1725 and Margaret Sinclair b. 1730 both in Caithness.  I thought maybe your Alexander was perhaps my Alexander.  I think I was grasping at straws since the will was in Colchester which is certainly not in Scotland.

If you do have any information on any of the above persons, I would greatly appreciate your sending it along.

Thank you and regards!

Suzanne
Cowansville, Quebec

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 August 13 21:37 BST (UK) »
hi Suzanne
Colchester is in Essex about 70 miles north of London so a very long way off from your searches , I was hoping you may have come up with some searches for the Essex part of England so I,m not going to be much help I,m afraid , if I were you I,d see if anyone can help with this post where it is but if you don,t get any response ask the moderators to move it to the Scotland board where your more likely get experts from there .
regards
trevor