Author Topic: edwards family history from bala  (Read 16891 times)

Offline paraty

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: edwards family history from bala
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 July 11 23:44 BST (UK) »
One Edwards line from LLanuwchllyn are related to the Vaughns and
back to Lord Rhirid Flaidd of Penllyn in the 12th-13th century, which
is my direct male lineage.

For those interested, I have the paper trail documentation, including the
pedigrees as shown in the NLW.

Further proof is the Y chromosome DNA matches of two (Surnamed Ellis
and one named Edwards).

I would be interested to contact any male Edwards willing to take the
DNA test to prove or disprove their link to Rhirid Flaidd.

More info. may be found doing a google search for Ellis, Cadwalader.

Lloyd Ellis
San Antonio, Texas

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 July 11 12:26 BST (UK) »
tx for that

i will have a word with the edwards side of the family and get back to you.  i will also try and send you our line.

regards
hooley/cheshire. vernons/cheshire. booths/cheshire
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 July 11 21:16 BST (UK) »

One Edwards line from LLanuwchllyn are related to ... Rhirid Flaidd … my direct male lineage.

For Google and for others' future ease of reference,  I might just append this note to Paraty's post -- in order to record that the RootsWeb WorldConnect pedigree found by his search terms is entitled Ellis, Cadwalader Family History.  In the 17th c. the people concerned lived at Gwernhefin (near the lake SW of Bala) for many years,  before they joined the wave of Quaker emigration to Pennsylvania.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Dan Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 16:50 GMT (UK) »
I can say with a degree of certainty that I am related to some of the Edwards' in the Bala area.  I was stationed in Europe in the mid 90's and my parents came for a visit, part of which was a trip through Wales.  We had been given information about a man named David (can't remember how to write the Welsh version) Edwards and when we located him, sitting on a stone wall in front of his home, I would have sworn he was my grandfather they looked so much alike.  He passed away shortly after we visited, but I remember his wife was from Patagonia.  All that being said, I would like to find out if I am related to that lineage.  My name is Dan Edwards and I am from NY state.  How would we go about doing something like that and what kind of costs are involved?
Edwards

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 February 12 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dan

give me some details about your grand father as i have extensive history about the edwards line going back to the 1700s and i can then tell you if we are related. 

the welsh version of david is dafydd (sounds like dafith)

i know some of the family went over to patagonia as did a lot of welsh miners.  but lets start with the names of your grand parents and do you know his date of birth.  do not know if you get free access to the freebmd site which is quite helpful, but i am sure someone on here will inform you.

steph
hooley/cheshire. vernons/cheshire. booths/cheshire
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire

Offline Dan Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 February 12 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dan

give me some details about your grand father as i have extensive history about the edwards line going back to the 1700s and i can then tell you if we are related. 

the welsh version of david is dafydd (sounds like dafith)

i know some of the family went over to patagonia as did a lot of welsh miners.  but lets start with the names of your grand parents and do you know his date of birth.  do not know if you get free access to the freebmd site which is quite helpful, but i am sure someone on here will inform you.

steph

Well, my grandfather was Lyle Edwards and lived a great deal of the time in Niagara Falls, NY and then here in Rome, I don't remember his birthday as he passed away when I was fairly young but may be able to get more info from my brother who actually has a family tree that was done by my grandfather.  My grandfather was the son of Frank Edwards and he had two brothers Roland (Maryville, MO) and Warren (Oswego, NY), the locations shown were at the time of his father's death according to the newspaper article I found today.  I will keep you posted.

One further thing, I know at some point there were 7 brothers that owned a significant part of what is now Manhattan, NY, and that some portion (I believe also in the Edwards line) of my lineage owned a large portion of what is now Pittsburgh.  Manhattan was turned over during a war to the US Government with the promise of it being returned at the cessation of activities, but as we all know now, that didn't happen.  I was also told that there was a man (another Edwards) that my parents met up in eastern Canada who, after hearing my father start talking about this, finished the story.
Edwards

Offline Dan Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 February 12 21:41 GMT (UK) »
One Edwards line from LLanuwchllyn are related to the Vaughns and
back to Lord Rhirid Flaidd of Penllyn in the 12th-13th century, which
is my direct male lineage.

For those interested, I have the paper trail documentation, including the
pedigrees as shown in the NLW.

Further proof is the Y chromosome DNA matches of two (Surnamed Ellis
and one named Edwards).

I would be interested to contact any male Edwards willing to take the
DNA test to prove or disprove their link to Rhirid Flaidd.

More info. may be found doing a google search for Ellis, Cadwalader.

Lloyd Ellis
San Antonio, Texas

I would be interested in this, what is the process?
Edwards

Offline Mygenes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 02 July 12 15:41 BST (UK) »
Apparently my dads family on both mother and fathers side had surname of  Edwards of Bala I would like to go back much further so any information would be helpful.

Offline Tom Edwards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Earth and moon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 05 August 13 06:20 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on any Edwards family from LLanuwchllyn area. My line moved to Dutchess County, New York prior to 1753, and then to Fulton County, NY until now. Prior to that our bunch may have settled in East Hampton, Long Island circa 1640.
We have no paper trail to Wales or UK. However, several males in my family resemble pictures of Owen Morgan Edwards (1858-1920) of Llanuwchllyn. 
Anyone wishing to compare DNA results, I am on FamilyTreeDNA as Talmadge Edwards. Note I have some atypical markers including DYS455=10. So far I've found only one close match to a Scotsman named Gregg(36 of 37 markers, including the odd 455=10).
If there's a descendant of O.M. Edwards who has had DNA testing I would very much like to hear from them.
Tom