Author Topic: James Duguid - Neilston  (Read 33557 times)

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Duguid - Neilston
« on: Saturday 22 May 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi guys, I'm new here but have been working on assembling my family tree for a bit. I've got a decent chunk of the US side of things filled out, but I'm not sure how/where to find info about the branches that are still in Scotland.

My great, great grandfather was James Duguid. He had a "Groceries/Provisions" store in Neilston I believe.

Born: April 30, 1852 - Barrhead
Died: May 29, 1925 - Neilston

I believe he was married to Ann McDougall - 1852-1892
He had 5 children to my knowledge:

Janet - 1877-?
Archibald - 1879-1934
Marion - 1882-?
James (Jr.) - 1885-1970 - My great Grandfather
John - 1889-?

Of those, James definitely came and stayed in the US. Archibald seems to have spent a decent amount of time here, I believe his children were born here, but I don't have any specific records putting him here full time.

John according to family legend, was a dentist (and maybe a surgeon), was in the British Army, and was "The dentist to the Queen of England." Though that last bit seems a little overblown to be believable. He definitely seems to have stayed in the UK, and I know nothing of his descendants.

Marion I know little of. I believe she stayed in the UK as well. I think she was around long enough (and made trips to to the US) to see my Dad.

Lastly, Janet I know nothing of. I had actually hadn't even heard mention of her until I started doing my own research.

This is James (Sr.) in front of his store.

And I believe this is Marion in front of the store:

Of note in that last pic is the shop next door, marked "D. Mair. Flesher." Doing research it seems Janet married a David Mair, so maybe that's his shop?

Anyway, in summary, I know this is a long shot, but if anyone knows anything about any of the above people, particularly those who remained in Scotland, I would love to hear it.

Also, if anyone is in/from Neilston and has any idea where that corner where James Duguid (Sr.)'s shop was located, I'd love to know that as well.

Thanks
-Nick Duguid.

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Duguid - Neilston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 May 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Murphyz on Rootsweb found a few things out.

There are 2 entries for James Duguid in the 1912-1913 Directory for Renfrewshire

Duguid, James, grocer and provision merchant,66 Main Street, Neilston - house Annfield Kingston Road (Neilston)
Duguid James, registrar, 66 Main Street, house Annfield Kingston Road

They have also found a marriage between Marion and Alex Mcnair (which is the same as what I had), but had a year listed as 1924.  And Marion's death at 1975 (which seems right to me as well.)

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 May 10 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have accessed the record of the marriage on Scotlands People, if you send me a pm I will send you over the file.

From Scotlands People: 5th June 1924 at Annfield, Neilston according to the forms of the united free church of Scotland, Alexander McNair, commercial traveller, widower aged 54 to Marion Lamond Duguid, grocer, spinister aged 42.

Alexander's address given as 65 Oakshaw Street, Paisley. Marion's as Annfield Neilston.
Alexander's parents William McNair, commercial traveller deceased and Margaret McNair nee Black.

Marion's parents given as James Duguid, grocer and retired Registrar, Ann Duguid nee MacDougall (deceased).

Witnesses (not 100% sure of the surname) Annie Mair, Craignewsky, Neilston and James Mair, Hollybank, Stewarton.

Does some one know if there were two Craignewsky's - one of the houses on Moorhouse Street in Barrhead used to be called Craignewsky.

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 May 10 09:28 BST (UK) »
Also from Scotlands People:

25th July 1899 at ? Arms Neilston, David Mair flesher aged 32 marriage to Janet Stirrat Duguid aged 23.

David's address given as 47 Main Street, Neilston. Janet's given as 31 Main Street Neilston.
David's parents William Craig Mair, flesher (deceased) and Elizabeth Mair nee Pollock (deceased).

Janet's parents James Duguid, Grocer and Registrar Ann Duguid nee MacDougall (deceased). Witnesses Wm Mair and Marion Lamond Duguid.

I can't work out how to edit the SP record just to show the word I can't make out!
Thanks Murphyz

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 May 10 09:33 BST (UK) »
It looks as though some of the family are buried in Neilston cemetery, if you search on findagraveinscotland.com

I will try and go up to the cemetery and see if I can find the stone.

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 May 10 14:42 BST (UK) »
I have found some of the stones but not all - I will have another look in a couple of weeks.

Neilston Cemetery

At wall (which backs onto lane) close to Zachariah Heys stone;

Erected by Janet Duguid
In loving memory of
Her husband
David Mair
Who died 23rd May 1941
Aged 73 years
The above Janet Duguid
Who died 5th March 1945
Aged 68 years

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 May 10 14:56 BST (UK) »
Wow Murphyz! I can't believe how much you've helped me.  All of the names you mentioned above jive with what I know.  So that sounds right.

Thank you so much for finding the grave of David Mair.  I have done a few searches on FindAGraveInScotland.com and have found a good number listed in Barrhead.  Though on the map it appears to be pretty much directly between Neilston & Barrhead.  Is this the same cemetery you're going to?

One question from a stupid American who doesn't understand foreign addresses.  You've found several addresses that simply seem to be a "name, town".  i.e. "Annfield, Neilston"  How does that work?  All of the addresses I've ever dealt with have been a number, street, city, etc.  Is Annfield a street?  Is it the name of something like a boarding house, such that a specific address is not necessary?

Thanks again Murphyz, you've been a tremendous help!

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 May 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
I seem to have found one headstone in that cemetery that has a bunch of people listed.  Unfortunately (even after purchase) the picture is too small and of poor enough quality I can only make out a couple of words. 

Not to make you run errands for me, but if you DO make it back out there, keep an eye out for this headstone if you might!

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 May 10 16:18 BST (UK) »
Oh - I went to Neilston cemetery this morning and I found the grave you purchased but even though I have a good camera I couldn't read the inscription so I have been back up to write it down.

There is still at least one grave I can't find but if you bear with me, I will jot it down the two others I have tonight. I have written down the inscription of the Breckenridge/Duguid stone as it is physically right next to it.