Author Topic: James Duguid - Neilston  (Read 33760 times)

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Duguid - Neilston
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 May 10 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I think I have found James in 1861 census on Scotlands People.

From the familysearch.org it looks as though the children of William Duguid and Janet Stirrat are
Mary (1858), Margaret (1865), Elizabeth (1863), William Paris (1856), Joseph (1854), John (1861), Janet (1860), Jane Wright (1872), Catherine (1868) and your James in 1852.

The 1861 census for William and Janet in Main Street Barrhead has William from Carriden in Linlithgowshire, but James is not with the rest of the family.

From Scotlands People, 1861 census for Muirhouses village in the parish of Carriden, has:-
James Duguid, aged 66, shoemaker (master two employees), born Carriden, Linlithgow
Mary Duguid, aged 66, his wife, born Boness, Linthingow
James Duguid, aged 8, scholar, grandson, born Barrhead, Renfrew
John McDonald, boarder, aged 45, shoemaker journeyman, born Stirling, death and dumb from birth.

I am still hoping that some one who knows Neilston will know where the shop was. I am having no luck with the generation you were looking for.

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 May 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
I have not read it yet but there appears to be references to a shoemaker James Duguid in Muirhouses in Carriden at the following

http://www.archive.org/stream/borrowstounnessd00salmrich/borrowstounnessd00salmrich_djvu.txt

Alas I do not subscribe to ancestry so I am unable to see the family tree.

Do you know if there is a John Paris Duguid in the family tree - also born 1889?

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 27 May 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
I see, so elder Duguid (age 66 in the 1861 census) would be the grandfather of MY James Duguid (Age 8 in 1861, born 1852), and presumably the father of William Duguid, Jame's father?  I have no knowledge above William Duguid & Janet Stirrat, so that seems plausible.  It would also account for James' (1852) absence from the rest of his family during that 1861 census.

As for John Paris Duguid.  I have never known a middle name, but "Great Uncle John" as he was called in my family, would be the son of James (1852) and was born in 1889.  So that seems to correlate as well.

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 May 10 05:17 BST (UK) »
Looking again at the couple of shots of the shop that I have, there are small (6" or so?) number placards next to the doors of each of the shops on that street.  I can't make out the one next to James' shop, but the "Stationer & Tobacconist" next door is marked "30"
Still doesn't help with what street it's on though.

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 May 10 17:52 BST (UK) »
This is the last of my Scotlands People credits and I have to admit I am totally confused but here goes:-

From SP:-
2nd September 1930 at Bath Hotel, Glasgow after Banns according to the forms of the Wesleyan Methodist Church:-

William Duguid, Bank Sub Agent, Bachelor aged 41, address 5 Bank Street, Barrhead to

Janet Stirrat Duguid Turnbull, spinister aged 33, address 264 Main Street, Barrhead.

William Duguid's parents listed as William Duguid, Joinery Master and Annie Duguid, nee Milloy (deceased).

Janet Stirrat Duguid Turnbull's parents listed as Mathew Turnbull (? engineer) (deceased) and Mary Turnbull, nee Duguid (deceased).
Service by Cecil Dudley of Wesleyan Church, Barrhead and witnesses William Duguid Hutchison, 5 Kerr Street, Barrhead and Catherine Love Turnbull, 17 Fulbar Road, Glasgow.

I am confused, good luck trying to unravel this.

I think Matthew Turnbull the engineer worked in Shanks, but the micro fiche for the years 1918-1921 Barrhead News are not in Barrhead Library and I think Matthew Turnbull died 1919.

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 May 10 17:57 BST (UK) »
It does not tell you anything new but Death notices from the Barrhead News:-

Friday 21st March 1930 edition
"Turnbull - At Benview, Main Street, Barrhead on 20 March 1930, Mary Duguid, widow of Matthew Turnbull."

Edition of 11th Fenruary 1938

"Duguid - At 5 Bank Street, Barrhead on 4th February 1938, William Duguid, retired joiner, in his 82nd year." I have written 4th from the BHD News, but I don't know if that is a typo or I have misread the grave stone as the 8th.

20th October 1949 - Death Notice

"Duguid - at Strathallan, 30 Glasgow Road, Uddingston on 15th October 1949, Janet Stirrat Turnbull, beloved wife of William Duguid."

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 May 10 20:14 BST (UK) »
Neilston Cemetery - go through main gates, turn left at mini round about, walk straight ahead across cross roads, walk down and stone near the end of the section on the right hand side.

In Memory of
Janet Stirrat Duguid Turnbull
Died at Uddingston
15th October 1949
Beloved wife of
William Duguid
The above William Duguid
Died 7th April 1956

Note there is another stone next to this one also for Duguid which has deaths within the last ten years on it, and this stone is not listed on findagraveinscotland so I don't know if I can post a photo of it. It is for a Joseph Duguid and a William Paris Duguid.

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 May 10 20:35 BST (UK) »
Lastly, in Neilston cemetery - again enter by the main gates and one row back from the boundary wall, stone facing in the direction of the wall, about half way up towards the mini roundabout - there is the following:-

In Memory of
Alice Birtwell
who died 17th February 1942
Aged 89
Widow of
James Duguid
Grocer Neilston
and their son
William
who died 14th March 1897
Aged 1

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 29 May 10 17:39 BST (UK) »

Hello All,

Great work Murphyz, on getting all that information, plus the photographs.

Tumerboy, the name Paris, comes from Your James Duguid's, grandmother, she was named Mary Paris, and she married James Duguid, 31/Oct/1825. Carriden, West Lothian, Scotland.

Here is the 1841. census, for Carriden, address Muirhouses.

Duguid James, M. age 45 years, Shoemaker, born West Lothian,
Duguid Mary, F. age 41 years, born West Lothian,
Duguid Elizabeth, F. age 18 years, born West Lothian,
Duguid William, M. age 16 years, Apprentice Joiner, born West Lothian,
Duguid James, M. age 12 years, born West Lothian,
Duguid John, M. age 12 years, born West Lothian,
Duguid David, M. age 7 years, born West Lothian,
Duguid Mary, F, age 1 years, born West Lothian

James Duguid, and Mary Paris, lived at Muirhouses, right up to their deaths, Mary Paris Duguid, died 1870, aged 76 years, and James, died 1886, aged 90 years.

Regards,
Jonn