Author Topic: James Duguid - Neilston  (Read 33554 times)

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Duguid - Neilston
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 29 May 10 17:42 BST (UK) »
I have searched all the fiche of the Barrhead News for 1975 but could see no death notice for Marion.
I did find this:-

Edition 16 May 1975

"Duguid - peacefully at Blair Lodge Nursing Home, Ayr (after a long illness) on Sunday 11th May 1975, Mary Florence Duguid L.D.S, of 23 St Quivox Road, Prestwick, only daughter of the late Mr & Mrs John Duguid, Barrhead, also sister of Norman."

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 29 May 10 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonn,

Fantastic information on the Carriden Duguids - would it be right to assume Paris is an unusual surname?

I also have come across this entry on a Horizon Information Portal site (I think it must be something to do with the libraries in West Lothian?)

Newspaper:  MIDLOTHIAN ADVERTISER

Subject:  DUGUID, MARY PARIS

Abstract:  OBITUARY OF MISS MARY PARIS DUGUID, TEACHER FOR 34 YEARS. SHE WAS ON THE STAFF OF CARRIDEN & GRANGE PUBLIC SCHOOL FOR 18 YEARS OF WHICH SHE ACTED AS INFANT MISTRESS OF GRANGE. SHE RESIDED AT PARKVIEW, BO'NESS.

Date:  02 MAR 1945

Page number:  4

With photograph?:  NO.

I would assume some sort of relation?

Cheers
Murphyz

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 May 10 18:28 BST (UK) »
Definitely the last one! Courtesy from the site Dictionary of Scottish Architects - if you do an architect search for Duguid, it will return several of which I have taken an extract.

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/

John Archibald Duguid Mair was born on 5 november 1912, the son of David Campbell Mair, butcher, and his wife, Janet Stirrat Duguid. He studied at the School of Architecture in Glasgow and was admitted ARIBA in 1950. He gave a Glasgow address in the Kalendar of that year.

He died on 19 March 1987 at his home in Milngavie, survived by his wife Elizabeth Smith Kirkwood and a daughter.

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 29 May 10 20:35 BST (UK) »

Hello Murphyz,

The surname Paris, is not rare, there are quite a lot if you put the name in the search engine on Scotlandspeople, home page, again i would not class this name as well known either.

There is also a will for the elder James Duguid, with date 1886. for Muirhouses, at Linlithgow Sherrif Court, on Scotlandspeople, i would have thought this might hold some interesting data.

James Duguid, is living at Muirhouses, on the 1881 census, alone as a widower, also next door again called Muirhouses, is his son John Duguid, with wife and a sizeable family.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 30 May 10 04:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for all your guy's work.  I'm still trying to sort it all out and fit the pieces into my existing puzzle of a tree.

I'm curious if there is some sort of accepted, or standard way to identify multiple people with the same name in a family?  I.e. there are at least 4 different James Duguid's, and at lesat as many John's.  Normally I do this by using middle names where I can, but even some of those overlap, and many either don't have a middle at all, or I've never known it.  Maybe Birth year?  i.e. "James Duguid (1852)" as opposed to "James Duguid (1947)" ?

So, I get to this line: "Tumerboy, the name Paris, comes from Your James Duguid's, grandmother, she was named Mary Paris, and she married James Duguid, 31/Oct/1825. Carriden, West Lothian, Scotland."

Does that mean, MY great, great grandfather James Duguid (from the initial post), his grandmother, (i.e. William Duguid's mother? or Janet Stirrat's mother?) was Mary Paris?

Here's that line as I follow it:
Nick Duguid (Me)>James Gregory Duguid (father)>John Leroy Duguid>James Duguid>James Duguid>William Duguid>Mary Paris (?)

Also, can someone help me understand the various place names?

i.e. William Duguid is mentioned in several places as being born in Carriden, Linlithgowshire, or Carriden, West Lothian, or maybe something else?

So, is each within the next, i.e.  is Carriden the town (or village, or what have you), Linlithgowshire the county, and West Lothian roughly the state or some such?  What is the actual breakdown here, and how should I actually list it in my own records?  i.e. Carriden, Linlithgowshire, West Lothian, Scotland ?

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 30 May 10 05:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jonn,

Fantastic information on the Carriden Duguids - would it be right to assume Paris is an unusual surname?

I also have come across this entry on a Horizon Information Portal site (I think it must be something to do with the libraries in West Lothian?)

Newspaper:  MIDLOTHIAN ADVERTISER

Subject:  DUGUID, MARY PARIS

Abstract:  OBITUARY OF MISS MARY PARIS DUGUID, TEACHER FOR 34 YEARS. SHE WAS ON THE STAFF OF CARRIDEN & GRANGE PUBLIC SCHOOL FOR 18 YEARS OF WHICH SHE ACTED AS INFANT MISTRESS OF GRANGE. SHE RESIDED AT PARKVIEW, BO'NESS.

Date:  02 MAR 1945

Page number:  4

With photograph?:  NO.

I would assume some sort of relation?

Cheers
Murphyz

Presumably not the Mary Paris that John mentioned.  There are several other Mary's in the family line.  It's likely not her daughter as she would have been 105 in 1945.  William had a daughter (James' (1852) sister) Mary, though I have her death listed as 1930.  Though James had 5 or more sibblings, so she could easily be down any of their branches.

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 30 May 10 10:36 BST (UK) »

Hello Tumerboy,

This is how your family reads.

James Duguid, married Mary Paris, 16/March/1821. Carriden, West Lothian.

Their Son William Duguid, born 31/Oct/1831. Carriden, West Lothian, Married Janet Stirrat, 28/Jul/1851. Neilston, Renfrewshire.

Their son James Duguid, born 30/April/1852. Neilston, Renfrewshire, Married Ann McDougall, 1875. Greenock, Renfrewshire.

Carriden, is a village in the County of West Lothian.
Linlithgow, is a town, in the County of West Lothian.

The 1841 census i provided earlier on in this topic shows that James Duguid, and Mary Paris, had at least six children, there is a Mary, among those also.

Just to confuse you a little more the John Duguid, aged 9 years on the 1841. census was actually named John Paris Duguid, and he went on to marry Elizabeth Stirrat, 01/Jan/1858. Neilston, Renfrewshire. This Elizabeth Stirrat, i am certain is the sister of his brother William Duguid's, wife Janet Stirrat.

This John Paris Duguid, and his wife Elizabeth Stirrat, then moved back to Carriden, next door to his parents and had a few children.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline Tumerboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 30 May 10 15:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, that does clear things up a bit.

Offline Murphyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 30 May 10 19:33 BST (UK) »
I found this on a canadian medical association journal page - the date of death seems to tie with the date of death of Dr William Paris Duguid which was on the photo from Neilston cemetery -  which I did not load onto this site as I didn't know if there was a rule about recent deaths. From the gravestone in Neilston he was the son of Joseph Duguid, master joiner and Jean Thomson. I have run out of SP credits to see who Joseph Duguid was.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC80455/

Duguid, William P., Baie-d'Urfe, Que.; University of Glasgow (Scotland), 1950; pathology; FRCPath., FRCPC; former pathologist-in-chief, Montreal General Hospital; professor, McGill University. Died Apr. 5, 2000, aged 72.

I don't know what Baie-d'Urfe means??