Author Topic: James Duguid - Neilston  (Read 33766 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: James Duguid - Neilston
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

Ok been home and dad and next door neighbour ( a Neilston boy) both ID'd your pic as Main St Neilston. Sadly fraid buildings not there now. I did a google map search but popped up for a look and all gone - has new houses (Is next door to St Thomas church which is on Google maps).

Am kicking meself cos forgot camera but the google pics are as it is now. 

As it happens my wee bro is working up there at mo and he confirmed buildings gone and new houses - he worked in the 'old' buildings in your pic above shop about 20+ years ago and remembered them.

Ann :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline chuditch1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 02 February 13 09:21 GMT (UK) »
This is the first time I have used this so please bear with me.
James Duguid who married Marion Knox in 1767 was my husbands great great great great great grandfather. I was just reading Tumerboys posts. One of their sons William married Isobel Brown, their son James married Mary Paris. Their son David married Mary Murray. David and Marys daughter Mary Helen married my husbands Great Grand father Robert Bain. Robert and Mary Helen had 2 sons Robert Duguid Bain and David Duguid Bain. Also Mary had a daughter before she Married Robert, Catherine Anne Lawrie Duguid who died at 5 yrs of age. Both Robert and David were both 2nd Dragoons Royal Scots Greys. Robert, my husband grandfather died inEgypt in 1921 and David was killed around 1200 hrs on 06 Nov 1918France/Flanders. He is mentioned in the war diary. Robert married Florence Gertrude Ashworth and had two children, Robert and Margaret. Margaret was my husband mother. Robert was also Royal Scots Greys and served in WW2. Both are now deceased.
Would love to hear from anyone who can give me more info on the Duguids, especially Mary Helen Duguid and her parents. Mary Helen was norn inPort Elisabeth South Africa in 1865. Her father David was born in 1833 in Carriden, but I cant find a marriage record for him and Mary Murray or any other info on Mary Murray or her parents. Assume they were married in South Africa while he was in the army?
So any help.info, pictures would be most helpful. And anything that goes back beyond James and Marion as well
cheers

Offline Scotfree72

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 15 July 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi. My name is Graham Duguid. My grandfather was Joseph Duguid and my father was Thomas Stirrat Duguid. My grandfather was from the Duguid's from Stepps. I know that in the above thread that there is a lot of my family tree, but I can't seem to get on to my family that were from Stepps.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline chuditch1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 16 July 16 03:06 BST (UK) »
Morning Graham.
When you say you cant get on to your family tree from Stepps, can you explain a bit more. Pleas eexcuse my ignorance but i am new to this. Do you have a family tree on this site? or is it somewhere else that yu are having trouble with. I have my tree on another website if you wish to view it let me know
I would love to know more about Mary Helen Duguid and what David Duguid was doing in South Africa. cheers Robyn

Offline Jharrison5

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 12:43 GMT (UK) »
This is a bit of an aside in relation, I think, to John Paris Duguid of Bo'ness.

About 15 years ago, I moved to Edinburgh (where I still live) and shortly afterwards bought a pocket watch from a shop on Cockburn Street.

The watch is an English Lever Pocket Watch.  It is marked "JP Duguid" "Bo'ness".  The hallmarks on the silver case indicate that it was made in 1883.  Muirhouses is a small village just a mile or two to the east of Bo'ness, with a decent climb from the Firth of Forth that I have occasionally gone out of my way to cycle up.

I don't know much about JP Duguid, but it may be pleasant for some of you to read that the watch he made was well used, the silver casing is worn, and that his work was excellent.  It still ticks, keeps accurate time and is used 133 years after manufacture.

Offline wdorman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 17 March 17 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You say:

" John according to family legend, was a dentist (and maybe a surgeon), was in the British Army, and was "The dentist to the Queen of England." Though that last bit seems a little overblown to be believable. He definitely seems to have stayed in the UK, and I know nothing of his descendants."

He was Lt Colonel John Paris Duguid and was an army  dentist. Possibly  he was titled " honorary dentist to the King"   which is typical for  senior army medical officers.  He married my cousin Irene Olive Dorman     . His daughter Patricia lives in USA with her husband and two children and he had a son who is in Australia and one who is in Scotland

William Dorman

Offline Sarahmcintosh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 25 December 17 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, just came across post this 7 years too late 🙈 I have lived in Annfield (Kingston road) Neilston since 1998 it is definitely still standing! Just thought I'd reply in the chance that you still need information! Sarah

Offline Cameron99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 18 April 20 12:53 BST (UK) »
I started my study a few years back, when my father made an idle comment about “I wonder where the Duguid family shop was?”  Now I have finished just one grandparent’s history.  It splits into four sections.

Section One covers the Duguids of Port Glasgow, descended from John Duguid (Dennyloanhead) and Elizabeth Munro (Cluny, Aberdeenshire), from their move to Port Glasgow in 1858 to the present day.  Comprises the main report 87pp, a main tree and two subsidiary trees, a location map and a timeline.

John Duguid is my great great grandfather.

Section Two covers Elizabeth’s line, and looks at the Munros of Cluny parish throughout their tenure there.  I then go back to look at the Boddies and Boynes of Kemnay parish prior to their move to Cluny parish around 1818.  Comprises the main report 82pp, a main tree and a subsidiary tree, and a location map.

Section Three follows on from Section One, and looks at the Duguids of Dennyloanhead.  From my point of view, this is from the move from Carriden of James Duguid and Elizabeth Bryce in 1790-96, through their children and grandchildren, including John Duguid who moved to Port Glasgow.  But I have also looked at the other descendents from Dennyloanhead, who include about 20% of the Duguids in Glasgow in late Victorian times (look for Proud or Hepburn middle names), and a sizable group of Grimsby/Hull Duguids (first son usually called Andrew).  Comprises the main report 78pp, a main tree, and a location map.

Section Four, which I have just completed, follows on from Section Three.  It takes me back from James Duguid and Elizabeth Bryce’s marriage and early life, first looking at  James’s parents James Duguid and Marion Knox and their family.  This is what I call the first Carriden generation.  I then go back to the single Abercorn generation of James Duguid and Elizabeth Buchan, who married in Abercorn in 1722.  I look at the development of Hopetoun House and grounds in the 1720’s as a pull factor which brought the Duguids, Buchans and Coupers all to Abercorn at this point – a bit like the North Sea bringing workers to Aberdeen.  But I then look down the generations for another hundred years after my line “left the room”, and have looked at Bo’ness through to the 1890’s.  So on the tree I have mapped the 3rd 4th and 5th Carriden generations too.  Loads of Stirrat Duguids and Paris Duguids, with at least two marriages between these pairs of families.  Comprises the main report 84pp, a main tree and one subsidiary one, and a location map

Turnerboy, William Duguid’s marriage in 1851 to Janet Stirrat is in the fifth Carriden generation, and James Duguid marrying Ann McDougall in 1875 forms the bottom of my tree.

chuditch1, Mary Helen Duguid who marries Robert Bain in 1889 also forms part of this sixth generation, Her father’s two marriages to Ann Murray and Catherine Doig also appear in generation five.

Happy to share this information with either of you, in abstract or in full (usually vis Dropbox) or with anyone else who may be interested.

Offline Cameron99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 03 May 20 12:41 BST (UK) »
If you have been interested in this thread, I recommend the old postcard book "Old Barrhead and Neilston" by John Hood, published Stenlake.  It has a number of good pictures of the mills and printworks that the Duguids worked at. On p2 there is a picture of Neiilston Cross and the commentary "The two storey tenement on the left was demolished in the early 1930's but at the time this photograph was taken the ground floor of the building was occupied by William Morton (draper and outfitter), David Mair (butcher) and James Duguid (grocer and provisiosn merchant).  Both the Mair's and the Duguid's were long established family firms which had been in business in Neilston since the late 1800's."  As we saw in an earlier post the Mairs and Duguids were linked by marriage.