Author Topic: Alexander McAuley Murphy (1791-1876), Carrickfergus  (Read 19928 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander McAuley Murphy (1791-1876), Carrickfergus
« on: Sunday 23 May 10 05:58 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on Alexander McAuley Murphy's parents and sibs.  Here is what I know:

1.  Alex McAuley Murphy (1791-1876 b. Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim; m. Jane Allen; emigrated to
Montreal, Canada in 1819.  Issue,

2.  John Murphy, b. 1834; m. 1862 Margaret Gill, dau of James Gill, Esq. of Montreal; they had five daus with at least two of them married.

2.  Alexander Murphy m. ? and had,

3.  Alexander Gordon S. Murphy (1899-1983) m. Irene Mabel Slater, dau of John C. Slater

2.  Christian Murphy m. 1852 George Childs; had 7 sons.

2.  Martha Esther Murphy m. 1856 David Soverign Bowlby, M.D., of Berlin, Canada, son of  Adam Bowlby and Elizabeth Soverign.

2.  Isabella Murphy m. Henry F. J. Jackson

Murphy family opened one of the largest stores in Montreal.

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McAuley Murphy (1791-1876), Carrickfergus
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 October 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
Alexander had two brothers and one sister.  He was the eldest of the family; his siblings are Margaret Lois, born in 1796 and died in Beauharnois, Quebec in 1868. No record of a spouse has ever been found.  Captain Samuel Murphy was born in 1800 and died at sea near Quebec city in 1839.
davis Murphy was born in 1810 and died in 1849. John Murphy (my 3rd great-grandfather) was born in 1806 and died in Beauharnois in 1869. In 1842, he married Christian McKenzie (born in 1812 in County Down and died in Beauharnois in 1902) and together had four children:  Samuel Alexander (1842-1884), John Murphy (born in 1845; after his wife died and left him with 8 or 9 kids, he fled to the states and left his children behind); Davis Murphy (1848-1921) and Christine aka Christian & Christina Susan. She married Thomas Barrington from Beauharnois, Quebec.

As far as I can tell through Ancestry.ca, no one has been able to trace the family's history prior to its arrival in Montreal.  Perhaps you will be able to help.  Please visit my family tree at ancestry.ca.

I hope that this is helpful.

Carole Ann Murphy

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 October 13 23:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, Carole, for the additional information.  I will do a little research and see if I can find anything.  If so, I will definitely make a post and let you know.  With very best wishe, Paul

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 21:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response, Paul.  It is appreciated.  Your information is partially correct.  In the list of Alexander's children, there was Jane Murphy born 1825 and died in 1892 (no spouse or children); Margaret Murphy, (1822-1825).  Alexander Gordon S. Murphy is not Alexander's son. Although his father was also an Alexander McAuley, the mother is not Jane Allen.  He was also born after both his parents had died.  Alexander Allen Murphy was born in 1832 and died in 1903. His wife, Fanny Gurd was born in 1845 and died in 1932. They had 8 children. Isabella Murphy and Henry Jackson had 8 children. I have met Isabella's descendant (Jane Adair Hamilton) and she has lots of information of that part of the family. I have only found one daughter for John Murphy and Margaret Gill.  Of course the biggest piece of the puzzle is the names of Alexander's parents which would be my fourth great-grandparents.  Might I ask why your interest in this family? There are so few Murphys who seem to be interested in this particular Murphy clan.  Thank you once again for helping me out.

Carole Ann

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 23:49 BST (UK) »
Carole,
Thank you for taking the time to respond and correct my errors.  I wish that more people would do so.  The reason that I am interested may disappoint you, however.  In truth, I am bascially a Macaulay researcher who is doing work on the Ardincaple Macaulays who hailed from Dumbarton, Scotland.  As such, whenever I find the name of Macaulay (McAuley, et. al), I become interested
and try to follow its line as far back as I can.

I will make a note of the information that you just sent and try make a correction on genforum when I have a wee bit of free time.  Thanks again for all of your input...Paul

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 October 13 10:33 GMT (UK) »
This is part of a post that I put on genforum/murphy yesterday

2. Christian Murphy, died 1891; m. 1852 George Childs, died 1895, grocer

3. George Childs, b. abt. 1856

3. Henry Childs, b. abt. 1860

3. Alfred William Childs, b. abt. 1862 m. Harriet C. Taylor, dau of John Taylor.

4. Percy Taylor Childs, b. abt. 1887; m. at Simcoe in 1915 to Ethel Maude Rawson, dau of Charles E. Rawson and Louisa Pender Rawson

4. Beatrice Childs, b. abt. 1892

4. Geraldine Childs, b. abt. 1896

3. Charles Childs, b. abt. 1866

3. Arthur Childs, b. abt. 1870

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul,
I've read both of your messages - a bit late as I was on my way to Florida for the winter. I hear the weather is not great your way!

I was disappointed when you told me that your 'true' interest is in the McAulays. I had really hoped to find someone with an interest in the Murphy clan from Carrickfergus and in the McKenzie clan from County Down.  Hopefully your research will lead to an understanding of Alexander's second name, and then perhaps lead to information on my 3rd great grandfather. 

When I get settled, I will check my ancestry tree for information about the Childs family, and of course, continue my quest for information on my ancestors.

Cheers,
Carole Ann

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Carole Ann,
You are right about the weather, but Osaka has been lucky so far as all
typhoons have missed us so far.  Florida sounds nice, so I hope that you will have
a nice warm enjoyable stay there.  Escaping from icy weather is never a bad idea unless one is
an avid skiier.

Research is my hobby and I like giving ancestrial trees a shake, so please don't be too disappointed.
If there is some interesting information to be found, perhaps the two of us can unearth it.

Have a nice enjoyable holiday.  Always, Paul

Offline mamurphy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 May 15 20:52 BST (UK) »
He was my great grandfather.   His son Gordon Alexander Murphy was the father to my father John Alexander Murphy.  Little known fact is that My grandfather was first cousin of Group Of Seven Canadian artist Alexander Young  Jackson (A.Y. Jackson).  I am Mary-Anne Murphy and have one brother, Jeffrey Alexander Murphy.