Author Topic: Alexander McAuley Murphy (1791-1876), Carrickfergus  (Read 19927 times)

Offline salisr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McAuley Murphy (1791-1876), Carrickfergus
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I have a portrait of Alexander McAuley Murphy, and would be glad to attach a photo of it if any of the clan would like. Let me know. I think I can get one of Jane Allen Murphy some time in the future if there is any interest. Sonia

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Sonia,
Thank you for your offer of a photo of AMM and of Jane Allen M; I have a photo of AMM in his 70s I would reckon. I would also be happy to share this with you. Alas, no pics of Jane AM. 
Can you help me out on sending pics through RootsChat.  I've not had many 'hits' and so not too familiar with protocols.

Once again, many thanks for your help in deciphering the Irish/Quebec clan.
Carole Ann

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 11 November 15 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
I forgot to ask if you knew who AMM's parents were.  The Murphy clan in Canada has been unable to trace their birth records and names of parents.  Thank you if you can provide.
Carole Ann

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 12 November 15 00:36 GMT (UK) »
Here is the pic of the Murphy Headstone erected by Alexander McAuley Murphy in honor of two of his brothers and his sister.

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 12 November 15 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Here is the photo of Alexander McAuley Murphy in his later years; thanks to the Public Archives of Quebec.

Offline salisr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 13 November 15 21:33 GMT (UK) »
I have attached a photo of Alexander McAuley Murphy portrait that is hanging in our house. If any one is interested I would be pleased to redo it when the lighting is better. I really appreciate the pics of the headstone and photo of AMcAMurphy.

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 13 November 15 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Sonia,
Thank you so much for the photo of AMM. He certainly looks like his older version.  Do you know how old he was was this photo was taken.  Also do you know the names of his parents - all of us in Canada researching AMM clan have not found the parents!  A real mystery.  If it doesn't trouble you to re-send the pic with better lighting, that would be much appreciated. If not, not to worry.

Are there any other tidbits that you might have with regards to AMM? I realize that there is no record of his siblings, but I have checked historical records in Montreal, and there was only one Alexander Murphy who was a merchant.

Once again, many thanks.
Carole Ann

Offline salisr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 November 15 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Here is a better picture taken outside in the garden. Notice he is hardly grey and his beard is only a little grey, so I would place him more in his late 40's or 50's when this was painted. On the back of the picture was a family note to say he was one of 9 children, no names given. The note also said he was a poor weaver but married a wealthy Jane Allen. Her painting is in storage but I will post it when available.....could be a year from now. Sonia

Offline salisr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 November 15 22:12 GMT (UK) »
The whole painting, Sonia
p.s. I met you when you were one year old at Christmas. You were given a doll and I have never forgotten the joy that doll gave you as a baby. You laughed, squealed, hugged the baby that was only about half your size.