Author Topic: Alexander McAuley Murphy (1791-1876), Carrickfergus  (Read 19968 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McAuley Murphy (1791-1876), Carrickfergus
« Reply #9 on: Monday 18 May 15 11:06 BST (UK) »
Dear Mamurphy,
Thank you for your post on this forum.  I am very curious as to why your great grandfather had the middle name of McAuley.  Do you know if there was a McAuley-Murphy marriage that took place in Co. Antrim before he and his family immigrated to Canada?  With best wishes, Paul

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 16:40 BST (UK) »
Mamurphy,  Thank you for your post. Do you know what year Gordon Alexander Murphy was born? And the name of his wife?

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
Mamurphy,
Confusion on my part cleared up. I am looking for information on your great grandfather's grandfather, also Alexander McAuley Murphy born in 1791 and died in Montreal in 1876.  Alexander McAuley sr. came to Canada in 1819 with his wife Jane Allen and likely his four siblings, Margaret Lois, Samuel, John and Davis. I am the descendant of John Murphy who married Christian (Christina, Christiane) McKenzie from county Down. What do you know about Alexander McAuley sr.and his siblings?  Thank you for your help.
Carole Ann Murphy

Offline salisr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 November 15 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I am married to David Alton Murphy who is John Murphy's first cousin, the second son of John Herbert Murphy. I have read the account of Alexander McAuley Murphy in the document prepared by my father-in-law. In it there are references to Alexander McAuley b. 1791 as having a very strong Scottish accent. Do you have any knowledge of this, or do you think they just mixed up a Northern Irish accent with Scottish? Sonia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 November 15 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Possibly just the local accent- my OH has a lovely one (when we go to Scotland the locals ask what part of Ayrshire he's from) although his family's been in Ulster over 300 years!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 November 15 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Sonia,
Thank you for your post. I am looking for information on Alexander McAuley's brothers and sister. Although I know that Alexander arrived in Montreal in 1819, little is known about the arrival date to Canada of his siblings (Samuel, John, Davis and Lois) except for marriage and death records. John is my 3rd great-grandfather; he married Christian (Christiane, Christine) McKenzie in 1842 at Georgetown Presbyterian Church in the province of Quebec. In Canadian census data, all the children identified the Church of Scotland as their religious affiliation, although they identified themselves as Irish. I suspect that the Murphy clan came to Ireland from Scotland, hence the strong accent you mention.  Are there other tidbits that you could provide concerning Alexander McAuley which might prove useful to me in my search into the life of John prior to his arrival in Canada.  Many thanks.

Offline salisr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 15:15 GMT (UK) »
The Murphy clan were born in Carrickfergus but the family history I have all concerns Ingrams and Gurds who were also Irish Protestants and married into the Murphy clan once in Canada. Alexander McAuley Murphy, a linen merchant, married a Jane Allen in 1818 two years before they immigrated. However there is no mention of any brothers or sisters of Alexander McAuley.  I will keep looking.

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Sonia,
Thank you for your additional information.  I am surprised to read that Alexander had no known siblings. I have a copy of the headstone that he erected for his brothers and sister that is located in the Georgetown Presbyterian cemetery (Church of Scotland) in Howick, Quebec (just east of Montreal) .  The headstone reads:

“In Memory of

Captain Samuel Murphy who was drowned at Quebec 1839 at 39 years.

Also of Davis Murphy who died November 15, 1849 Aged 39 years

Erected by their brother Alexander Murphy, Merchant of Montreal

Also of Margaret Lois Murphy died September 19,1868 aged 75 years.”

John, my 3rd great-grandfather and other sibling signed the burial certificate for both Davis and Margaret Lois. The certificate for Davis includes a reference to his being a native of Ireland from County of Antrim. He died June 14th, 1869 leaving behind his wife Christian McKenzie, from County Down, (married 1842), his sons Davis and John (my 2nd great-grandfather as well as his daughter Susan Christian.

I will try to send the pic of the tombstone if I can figure out how to do it.  Once again, many thanks for your information. A distant cousin who is a direct descendant of Alexander will be delighted that I have connected with her distant cousin! The world is indeed small.

Offline CAM48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Sonia,
Please read "John died on June 14th, 1869..." instead of "he died..."  The 'he' reference was unclear as it might have pertained to Davis Murphy.  Sorry.
Carole Ann