Author Topic: Greig family Aberdeenshire connected with Edvard Grieg composer  (Read 41322 times)

Offline LesleyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Greig family Aberdeenshire connected with Edvard Grieg composer
« on: Sunday 27 March 05 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi I would love to hear from anybody who has a connection with the Greig family in Rathen area who are related to the Norwegian composer Edvard Grieg, John Greig(1702-1774) and Anna/Anne Milne's(1704-1784)  son Alexander(1739- 1803)went to Bergen Norway. John Greig and Anna Milne are buried in Rathen cemetry, Aberdeenshire. I still have to find a connection with my family but I am trying to collect information on the Greig family that are connected and to put all the information together and help some people researching this surname, would appreciate any information or if anybody knows where I would find more thanks LesleyJ.
Bouncing Emails

All census are crown copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Suckling,Aslen, Barker, Bartlett, Scriven- All Middlesex

Christie, Lee, Greig, Anderson, Brown, Will, Birnie, Beddie, Fowlie, Noble,Innes,Mowat, Stephen- All Aberdeenshire

Reid, Borthwick, Cowe, Johnston, Duncan, Aitken,Hunter, Johnston and Murray, East Lothian and Midlothian

Offline Noremac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Greig family Aberdeenshire connected with Edvard Grieg composer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 June 05 11:46 BST (UK) »
G'day! Leslie

I have ancestors named Greig whom I believe are connected with Edvard Grieg. I have thought this for sometime but as I am an amateur in this game I had never made the connection.   After seeing your request, I did a bit of work last night and I believe that I have made the connection ( not confirmed). John and Anna Grig had a son Alexander 1739 and a son John 1742. John's son Robert(Crimond) 1763 wife Rachel had a daughter Mary Greig(Crimond 1789) who married William Hutchen(1825) my ggg/grandfather.    Crimond/Lonmay & Rathen are all very close.

Let me know if you make a connection.  The locations and dates fit very well.

Noremac (Australia)

Offline LesleyJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 05 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hello thankyou for your reply I was wondering do you now who the wife is of John Grig b1742 I know his two brothers went to Norway but it is John I am interested in. Do you have any more information, I live very near Rathen and can look up local records for you, I have got my Greig family back as far as late 1700 early 1800. I can give you what information I have  all the best LesleyJ
Bouncing Emails

All census are crown copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Suckling,Aslen, Barker, Bartlett, Scriven- All Middlesex

Christie, Lee, Greig, Anderson, Brown, Will, Birnie, Beddie, Fowlie, Noble,Innes,Mowat, Stephen- All Aberdeenshire

Reid, Borthwick, Cowe, Johnston, Duncan, Aitken,Hunter, Johnston and Murray, East Lothian and Midlothian

Offline Noremac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 June 05 11:57 BST (UK) »
Lesley,

I am not sure but I have found a marriage of a John Grig to Elspet Scott (1761 at Monquitter) the date would be about right.
I certainly would be interested in any help I could get.  Most of my folks were from around, Peterhead, Cruden Bay, Crimond, Rathen, Inverallochy. If you check Tribalpages.com under noremac you will see the names etc.  I emigrated from Nairn 1964, born Aberdeen

Cheers  Don

Offline BrianG

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 June 05 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I am a Greig.  My aunt knows the connection between my family and Edvard.  I will try to gather it and get it to you.  I am in the US, not the uk as you seem to be.  I would also like to know the information you have so that I may find out if we are some how connected.  I have been trying to look into the Greig history for a while now and get it all recorded.  Thank you

Offline Noremac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 08:10 BST (UK) »
BrianG

My connections with Edvard grieg are as follows:
John Grig (1702) married Anne Milne (1704) they had at least two sons Alexander 1739 (Emigrated to Norway) and John Grig (1742)  had a son Robert Greig (1763) married Rachel Davidson
had a daughter Mary Greig (1789) married William Hutchen had a son James Hutcheon (1825) married Janet Keith (1825)
had a son James Hutchison (1861) married Annie Gibb Johnstone had a son Andrew Johnstone Hutchison 1887 (My grandfather on the maternal side) Nearly all these births and marriage took place in and around Crimond, Aberdeenshire.

let me state that I have not sighted official records for all of this
but todate it seems to fit!  I will only claim it  when I have checked it all out as best I can.

Noremac from Australia

Offline Kin-getter

• RootsChat Senior
  • "I grow old ever learning new things"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 April 06 08:18 BST (UK) »
This site might be of some interest - look for Connected Names -

http://www.cardnogenealogy.com/

K/
Ayrshire: Craig, Orr.

Offline moo_6396

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 January 11 07:45 GMT (UK) »
hello my name is taylor greig reid is my dads mums brother. he is related to edvard grieg. and i was wondering if u could possibly send me any iformation u have on edvards family tree, leading down my way. thankyou

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 January 11 14:31 GMT (UK) »
My connections with Edvard grieg are as follows:
John Grig (1702) married Anne Milne (1704) they had at least two sons Alexander (22/07/)1739 Cairnbulg, Fraserburgh (Emigrated to Norway) d 13/11/1803, Bergen, Norway and John Grig (1742) (James Gri(e)g b 12/03/1751, Cairnbulg, Fraserburgh, d 08/10/1811 Bergen, Norway.)
 had a son Robert Greig (1763) married Rachel Davidson
had a daughter Mary Greig (1789) married William Hutchen had a son James Hutcheon (1825) married Janet Keith (1825)
had a son James Hutchison (1861) married Annie Gibb Johnstone had a son Andrew Johnstone Hutchison 1887 (My grandfather on the maternal side) Nearly all these births and marriage took place in and around Crimond, Aberdeenshire.

let me state that I have not sighted official records for all of this
but todate it seems to fit!  I will only claim it  when I have checked it all out as best I can.

Noremac from Australia
I have added a couple of bits in (Blue)
I will have a further look and post more as I find it.

Regards

Malky.