Author Topic: Greig family Aberdeenshire connected with Edvard Grieg composer  (Read 41316 times)

Offline Scottish wifie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greig family Aberdeenshire connected with Edvard Grieg composer
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 July 14 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone its been a while since I first put this post up in my old email address as LesleyJ, I am now registered as Scottish wifie on rootschat.
 I have just renewed my research into the Greig family after sorting out all of my family history records (lots of paper). I am trying to sort through mountains of paperwork. The library in Fraserburgh has books complied by a genealogist for Rathen and Lonmay Episcopalian church records, some of the years are missing, which is probably why everybody is having a hard time finding records to make the connection.
I wonder what happen to the records was it because of the Jacobite uprising, I read somewhere that the Episcopalians supported the Jacobites around this time and faced presecution because of it.
 The University of Aberdeen Library Special Collections in Aberdeen has the book written by John Russell Greig called "Grieg and his Scottish Ancestry" written in 1952, I am hoping to be able to go to Aberdeen and view this book sometime in the very near future and if I gleam anymore information from it I will pass it on to those interested here, the furthest back I have got with my Greig's are James Greig b 1768 and died 1860 in New Leeds, his parents are John Greig and Elizabeth Scott, there descendants lived at Stonedykes near Corsekellie, that isn't that far down the road from Mosstown of Cairnbulg. Also some were born in Strichen as well. I live about a mile and a half from Rathen, will need to have another look around the cemetery and take some photos of more headstones, thanks everyone for the information shared, my brother in law Martin said his mums side has a connection with Edvard Grieg I have traced his side back to Alexander Greig married to Margaret Fraser. I am also interested in finding out about a Christie that supposedly went with Alexander Greig over to Bergen in 1770's, I have Christie's from Fraserburgh in my family
I visited Grieg's house on a family holiday when I was about 8, I wish I could go back and get some more information, If I find anything new I will let you know all the best Lesley
Reid - Edinburgh, East Linton
Borthwick - Edinburgh, Dalkeith
Cowe - East Lothian
Johnston - Dalkeith, Borthwick
Christie, Lee, Anderson, Greig, Innes, Bisset, Noble, Fraserburgh

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 August 14 01:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but surely the Grieg lineage in Norway starts with the marriage of Alexander Greig to Margarethe Elisabeth Heitman at Nykirken, Bergen 7 Mar 1771 after which they had 4 children (including John the grandfather of Edvard) until Margarethe's death in 1782. Alexander then had a child with Modesta Susemehl Heitman in Bergen in 1787. Since the marriage of Alexr. Greig to Margaret Fraser took place at Lonmay (Church of Scotland records) in November 1788 then they can't be the ancestors of Edvard Grieg.
You are absolutely right to point to the Episcopal records of Lonmay as a source - the chapel there catered to a wider area than the Ch of Scotland parish of Lonmay. The Episcopalians were under considerable pressure after the Jacobite rebellions of 1715 & '45 due to their association with the rebel cause and you do see some records of baptism occurring in both sets of records. The 1696 poll tax records for Aberdeenshire are also useful.
Regarding John Greig & Elizabeth Scott, their son William died 26 Jan 1855 at Stuartfield, Old Deer, the widower of Elizabeth Martin.
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline Scottish wifie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 August 14 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart P, thank you very much for your reply, yes I agree Edvard Grieg's direct lineage is in Norway but I am also interested in the Scottish side of the family that stayed in Scotland.
I am trying to verify stories that were passed down the generations to present day, saying there was a connection and trying to prove it either way.
As a great admirer of Grieg's music, visiting his house when I was little and living only a few miles away from where his Scottish ancestors came from and having Greig's in my family has kindled my interest in his family.
Even if I am not related I am still very interested in finding out more. Have you read the book by John Russel Greig, is it worth a trek to Aberdeen to go and read it at the University library? Thanks for the Norwegian information, I do have this already(on lots of bits of paper). Are you related to Greig with your family all the best Lesley
Cowe - East Lothian

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 August 14 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley
The Greig ancestry belongs to my wife rather than myself. As you probably know there are many family trees published on-line which are demonstrably wrong, so when I worked out my version it was using the OPR records, the Episcopalian records, gravestones, the 1696 poll tax, censuses and post- 1855 certificates.
James Greig b.bef 1687 d. bet 1724-5 Mosside Cairnbulg, Rathen. Spouse unknown.
John Greig b. 1703 Rathen, sponsor at the the baptism of his sister Margaret at Mosside Cairnbulg, his father being recently deceased. Married Ann Milne 14 Nov 1727 (Episcopal Lonmay) and died 6 Jan 1774 (Gravestone at Rathen).
Alexander Greig bpt. 19th (Rathen) & 22nd (Episc) July 1739 b.Mosside Cairnbulg became the British Consul in Bergen. Married Margarethe Elisabeth Heitman.

My wife' line starts: James Greig b.bef 1687, as above
James Greig b.ca.1708 Rathen, d. 30 Aug 1771 Hillhead of Cairnbulg, married Marjery Carle d.29 Mar 1788 (Gravestone at Rathen).
Other known children of the first James Greig, all born at Mosside Cairnbulg, Rathen are:
Alexander 13 Dec 1714, Andrew 4 May 1717, Christian 24 May 1722, Margaret 27 Feb 1725. Andrew Greig in Cairnbulg appears as a baptismal witness for the last two.

All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline Scottish wifie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 August 14 13:51 BST (UK) »
This is great thank you very much for sharing this information, I have been looking at Edvard Grieg's mums side on the internet as well, another possible Scottish connection with Andrew Davidson Christie  from Montrose area born 1620 who moved to Bergen,Norway, will need to double check with records to see if this is right. I noticed while looking through the catalogue for the University of Aberdeen Library special collections that they have the Episcopalian records for Strichen, might help with some research, all the best Lesley
Cowe - East Lothian

Offline Scottish wifie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 August 14 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart P, I was looking at the MI index for Rathen on the ANESFHS website I noticed on the stone 19 that mentions James Greig and Margery Carle further down it mentions an Alexander Greig died 16th June 1866 I have his death certificate  he died age 75 and his parents are Alexander Greig and Margaret Fraser. I will need to go and visit Rathen Kirkyard or look at the MI book in the library and find more info maybe my brother in law Martins family are connected with you wifes family. This Alexander Greig who died in 1866 married Isabella Meldrum all the best Lesley
Cowe - East Lothian

Offline Pozzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 January 15 13:42 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor was William Greig, tenant farmer in New Caik (Keak or Cavoch), Tyrie parish, Aberdeenshire, who married Margaret Legg at Strichen 24 Aug 1732. Of his seven daughters, the first three were baptised in Monquhitter: Anna 1735, Mary 1738, and Elizabeth 1740. The other four were all baptised in Tyrie: Isabel 1742, another Isabel 1743, Margaret 1743, and another Elizabeth 1749.
William Greig is supposed, from family tradition, to have been factor to the Fraser family of Strichen but I have found no evidence to support this. His second daughter Mary married in 1763 John Adamson who definitely was the Frasers’ factor between 1778 and 1801.
Does anyone on the forum know anything about this family? We also have a vague tradition of a relationship to Grieg the composer.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 18:28 BST (UK) »
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Paddybagpuss

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 November 16 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wilkie Canada.
Can you provide any information on Alice Greg? Robert Thomson was my wife's great uncle. We did not know he had a family until we found his WW1 record. He died on Feb 1918 after going back to Italy.