Author Topic: Greig family Aberdeenshire connected with Edvard Grieg composer  (Read 41232 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Greig family Aberdeenshire connected with Edvard Grieg composer
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 January 11 15:10 GMT (UK) »
John Grig b (12/09/(1702)) Cairnbulg, Fraserburgh, d 06/01/1774, Cairnbulg, Fraserburgh, married Anne Milne b (1704) Cairnbulg, Fraserburgh, d 17/03/1784 at Cairnbulg, Fraserburgh.
Robert Greig (1763) who married Rachel Davidson 05/07/1787 at Crimond, Aberdeenshire

Regards

Malky

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 January 11 15:53 GMT (UK) »
"had a daughter Mary Greig (1789) married William Hutchen had a son James Hutcheon (1825) married Janet Keith (1825)
had a son James Hutchison (1861) married Annie Gibb Johnstone had a son Andrew Johnstone Hutchison 1887 (My grandfather on the maternal side) Nearly all these births and marriage took place in and around Crimond, Aberdeenshire."

Noremac from Australia, going through your post bit by bit, I notice that the surname spellings have changed, "as marked in "Red"" This is kind of throwing off the traceability of these individuals and just shows the differences in spelling, depending who the registrar was at the time, and how the names were pronounced by those who reported the occasion to the registrar. It is a classic example of using "variants" to find the actual individuals.
14/02/1884 James Hutchison married Annie Gibb Johnston at Peterhead. His father was James Hutchison, his mother was Janet Keith. Her father was Alexander Johnston and her mother was Elizabeth Mutch. (As per marriage certificate.)
30/05/1857 James Hutchen married Janet Keith at the Manse of Crimond, his father was William Hutchen and his mother was Mary Greig, her father was George Keith and her mother was Mary Milne. (As per marriage cert')

This is a good exercise in "digging".

Regards

Malky

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 July 12 01:21 BST (UK) »
Some background information on the Greig (Grig, Grige, Grieg) families in Rathen.

John Greig & Ann Milne the ancestors of Edvard Grieg were Episcopalians. The marriage of John to Anna "Mill" 14 Nov 1727 is in the Lonmay Episcopalian records, as are the baptisms of their children (no mother named).
The same baptismal records in the Rathen OPR, the Church of Scotland record, are all entered at a later date on one page under the marginal heading "Children of John Grige". The mother is only named for the first child Jean 27 Sep 1728. Unfortunately this baptism on Scotlandpeople and on IGI is to "George" Grige and Ann Miln. This is wrong - the same baptism date is on the the Episcopal record for an un-named child to John Grig. On the OPR baptisms John is consistently at Mosside of Cairnbulg and James Grige in Cairnbulg is always named as a witness.
So, the children of John Greig & Ann Milne in Mosside of Cairnbulg, Rathern were: Jean 27 Sep 1728; Elizabeth 19 Oct 1730; Mary 4 May 1733; Isabel 22 Jul 1735; John 19 Mar 1738; Alexander 19 Jul 1739; Christian 12 Oct 1741; Margaret 8 Nov 1743; James 28 Mar 1745; John 26 Mar 1748.

The previous generation at Mosside has James Gr(e)ig recording baptisms for Alexander 13 Dec 1714; Andrew 4 May 1717; Christian 24 May 1722; Margaret 27 Feb 1725. For the last named, James is recently deceased and his son John is named as sponsor for the child. Baptismal witnesses for James' children were George Hay & Peter Davidson in Mosside, Robert Davidson & William Warrender, George Hay & Andrew Grig in Cairnbulg for the last two.

Assuming that John Greig husband of Ann Milne is the son of James Greig in Mosside, it looks like he has a brother James who has children 1748-58 at Hillhead of Cairnbulg, gravestone in Rathen kirkyard d 30 Aug 1771 age 63, wife Marjery Carle.

The 1696 Poll Book for Rathen has:
James Grig & his mother in Rathen - 12sh
Lord Fraser's tenants Alexander Grig 15sh; James Grig 11sh; Alexander Grig, wife son & daughter 18sh; Michael Grig subtenant & wife 12sh; Andrew Grig subtenant , wife son & daughter £1:4sh
James Grig whitefisher in Inverallochy & wife 18sh.
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 July 12 16:40 BST (UK) »
Gavin Greig (1856-1914), the well-known collector of the folk songs of north-east Scotland, is said to have been related on his father's side to Edvard Grieg and on his mother's side to Robert Burns.

Does anyone know what his connection with Edvard Grieg is?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline raggyroo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 July 12 21:32 BST (UK) »
i have greig in my family tree but havent got that far back as of yet so i dont know of any connection with edvard greig if any but i have a jessie greig b 1880 d1956 married samuel mcrobbie b 1880 d 1961 her parents was william greig and jessie stewart sangster but that is all i have so far  :(

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 September 12 12:20 BST (UK) »
Gavin Greig (1856-1914), the well-known collector of the folk songs of north-east Scotland, is said to have been related on his father's side to Edvard Grieg and on his mother's side to Robert Burns.

Does anyone know what his connection with Edvard Grieg is?
Not quite - but I know that Gavin's father was also Gavin Greig, 1822-1881. The Episcopal Records, Lonmay, say "12 Feb 1822 to James Greig in Waltry, Strichen, a son Gavin". Son Gavin certainly gives Strichen as his place of birth in 1861 and 1871. Father Gavin's 1881 death cert says that his father was James Greig and his mother was Ann Walker, and I can find a possible census entry in 1841 for them, in which James is a publican in Mintlaw, Longside. At that point, they have 3 children with them, Jane, Charles and Christian of about the right age for children born to James Greig in the Episcopal records of Lonmay.
Our main Greig line tracks back to Rathen ( and links with Edvard Grieg's line) but I also have another branch from Strichen which I am trying to connect to the Rathen lot. My Strichen line lived in New Leeds, which is pretty close to Waltry -so if you do find a definite connection between Edvard and Gavin, I'd be very interested as that might offer me a new avenue to explore.
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline Jamieson

• RootsChat Member
  • Have camera can travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
We've nothing to do with the Greig composer.
Aberdeen Aberdeenshire Fyvie Drumoak Dalmaik Peterculter Birse Strachan Aboyne Huntly Banchory-Devenick  -  Jamieson Greig Forbes Tobin Gillespie Cheyne Thompson Donaldson Luke Mark Maitland Findlay Silver Bannerman McDonald

Offline Wilkie Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 04 November 12 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am just new here so forgive any mistakes that I might make. I found this site purely by accident while looking for my own family info and found it riveting. I wanted to say that Gavin Greig (1856-1914) is my great grandfather, one of his daughters Annabelle is my fathers mother. It is true that he is related to Edvard Grieg and Robert Burns, I wish that I could find all the info that my late aunt/genealogist prepared for us years ago, she prepared a nice family tree/chart. I will try to post a couple of the pics that I have at hand, it may spark a conversation??