Author Topic: Greig family Aberdeenshire connected with Edvard Grieg composer  (Read 41323 times)

Offline Wilkie Canada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greig family Aberdeenshire connected with Edvard Grieg composer
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 04 March 17 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I have not viewed this Forum for ages. The sad thing is that I have misplaced a lot of my information during a house move but I will be looking for it again and hopefully find it?
This might have no interest to anyone but me but I came across this Gavin Greig story in an old book I did find in my collection, just one page from the book "Mine Honourable Friends"

Offline peggyanns1955

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
Good Afternoon all!
Not sure if anyone is interested, but I will share anyway, just in case.  My mother was. Webster.  Her grandfather was James A. webster.  He married Elizabeth Greig in Stritchen on Nov 20, 1861.  Her mother was Christain Scott and her father was Alexander Greig. They lived in Robbie's Cottage in Aberdeen.  Their first child, Mary, died at 4 years old of diphtheria. Somewhere I have a cabinet photo of them as older adults.  I have no idea about any of her siblings.  My great grandfather and his brother, Alexander Webster immigrated to New York City in about 1887. 

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 12:35 BST (UK) »
Gavin Greig the folksong collector was aware of his connection to the composer Edvard Grieg, and when Grieg came to Edinburgh to give a concert, as part of a British tour, Gavin is supposed to have come down to Edinburgh to introduce himself. But at the end of the concert, he was overcome with shyness and went home without meeting the great man.

Harry

Offline RoddieMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 21 April 19 22:55 BST (UK) »
I'm late to this thread and a new member. My great grandmother Isabella Greig, who married John Noble, was the granddaughter of Alexander Greig d. 1806 & Margaret Fraser ie . the Greigs in Hillhead of Carnbulg, which was close to the farm at Mosstoun which I believe the forebears of Edvard Grieg occupied.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with more information about common relationships between these families.

Offline peggyanns1955

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 21 April 19 23:04 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother was Elizabeth Greig.  She was born in Old Deer.  Her father was Alexander Greig and her mother was Christian Scott.

Offline RoddieMac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 April 19 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hello PeggyAnn

Looks like 'my' Greigs are same line as StuartP's wife (see reply 21, 2014). As the first known Greig in that line had other sons as listed in that post, we could be cousins perhaps.

Offline peggyanns1955

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 23 April 19 01:07 BST (UK) »
We very well could be.  My Alexander Greig’s father was James Greig.  His mother was either Jean Simpson or Jean Scott.  They were also form Old Deer.