Author Topic: William Evans, Elizabeth Davies and their parents - any help?  (Read 18235 times)

Offline Lloyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Evans, Elizabeth Davies and their parents - any help?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 March 11 11:56 GMT (UK) »
This may not be of any particular interest to David but Daniel and Mary Davies's son David ("Reverend David R. Davies") emigrated to USA in 1885 and was ordained as a Congregational Minister. He and his wife settled in Clay County, Iowa, where there were many Welsh families, and they had two daughters. He died there in 1893. His wife Ellen Roberts died in 1939.

Offline smeatons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Smeatons, I have a John and Mary Davies in my tree, who were my ggg grandparents.
They lived in and milled at Felin Newydd in 1861, but I don't know if they are related in any way to your Davies, so many of them around, such common names... Both were born in the area, Mary's maiden name was Isaac.
My parents have visited the mill and met the owners at the time - I have some photos that may be the same as the ones on the website link, but I can't seem to open them on the link to compare. I'm attaching one of the main building, I also have an interior photo if you haven't seen it.
My John moved around a lot and milled at least four different mills in the area - I have never been able to identify his parents for the usual reason - every second man was named John Davies!
Caroline.

Caroline,

Sorry for not replying sooner... for some reason I didn't get notified about your posts. :-(
I don't believe our Davies are related, my understanding of the history of the millers is as follows:

1836 John Davies was recorded Miller.
1836 He was replaced in the same year by James James. His tenancy was brief as he died the following year. The title was passed to his wife who was still milling in 1841.
1851 Edward Edwards
1861 John Davies in 1861
1871 John Williams
1874 Daniel Davies who remained milling until 1903 at the age of 85.
In 1905, Anthony Williams became tenant. He purchased the Mill in 1918 from the Edwinsford estate for the sum of £725

I would very much like to see a photo of the interior if possible as the mill is now closed to the public, so I'll never get to see all the fascinating things I know are in the mill relating to my family :-(

best wishes,
David
Cain, Cragg, Crump, Davies, Dougherty, Evans, Griffiths, Sweetland

Offline smeatons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 10:31 BST (UK) »
This may not be of any particular interest to David but Daniel and Mary Davies's son David ("Reverend David R. Davies") emigrated to USA in 1885 and was ordained as a Congregational Minister. He and his wife settled in Clay County, Iowa, where there were many Welsh families, and they had two daughters. He died there in 1893. His wife Ellen Roberts died in 1939.

Hi Lloyd,

Again, sorry for not responding sooner... for some reason I hadn't realised additional posts had been made to this thread!
Could you just confirm that this is the David Davies that was born in 1858?

thanks,
David
Cain, Cragg, Crump, Davies, Dougherty, Evans, Griffiths, Sweetland

Offline Churchie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bessie Williams 1894-1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 December 11 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Smeatons,
So strange, I didn't know you had posted again on this thread.
Here's a photo of the mill interior, It is taken from a postcard, so not exceptional, but a nice thing to have.
Caroline.
Church, Ciaccia, Mann, Butfoy, Boutefoy, Hulbert, Allar, Furneaux, Tylee, Carruthers - London.
Close, Davies, Thomas, Isaac, Williams - Carmarthenshire, Glamorganshire, Monmouthshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mirta cleofe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 March 12 18:05 GMT (UK) »

Hi Lloyd,

Again, sorry for not responding sooner... for some reason I hadn't realised additional posts had been made to this thread!
Could you just confirm that this is the David Davies that was born in 1858?

thanks,
David

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 March 12 18:34 GMT (UK) »
To add to the above post, Mirta is attempting to contact Smeatons, I believe with regards to this family, however is unfortunately fluent only in Spanish and only speaks a small amount of English.

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 March 12 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Hola Mirta  :)

Bienvendo a Rootschat!

Offline Kayehelen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 21 May 17 16:30 BST (UK) »
David I would like to find out how far you have got in your search for Thomas and Mary. My father is a grandson of John Camwy Evans and I would like to do the tree further back.
thanks
kaye

Offline KateMcall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
David I would like to find out how far you have got in your search for Thomas and Mary. My father is a grandson of John Camwy Evans and I would like to do the tree further back.
thanks
kaye

Hi Kaye,

My mother is also a granddaughter of John. I am really interested in our family history too, so could you keep me updated if you find anything else out! It seems our ancestors were pioneers in Patagonia which I am very proud of.

Thanks,

Kate